The "CHALLENGE" thread.

The soundcloud player does that all the time. It's the price you pay for convenience.

I guess so. The facebook links fail quite often, too. I'm not sure whose fail it is, though! :D

Where's NTB? :mad: I want him to hear my challenge! :mad:

Last edited:
Bubba, that..... is A C E :D :D :D I KNEW I should've made a polka metal version of White Man. A proper cover you've made there.

Here's my (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais cover, I call it "Four Tops All Night" :) It's not snot tight, but was great fun to make!

Coming back from the pub, I realize this sounds better when you've had a few drinks!

Attachments

• Markus Poltorp - Four Tops All Night - White Man Clash Cover.mp3
    8.2 MB · Views: 10
Bubba, that..... is A C E :D :D :D I KNEW I should've made a polka metal version of White Man. A proper cover you've made there.

LOL :D Ta very much. :D It was actually my challenge to you of "White Man" that was the lightbulb moment for me on this track. I've always loved the punk/reggae fusion thing. Slits, Costello, Clash, even the Only Ones' "Creature of Doom" with its demented ska-ish tones. I left out the punk, though, for some unknown reason. :D

How's White Man coming along?

---------- Update ----------

Question already answered!

Nice one - I like the repetition of the "Four Tops" bit, in lieu of a chorus that the original never had. It retains the spirit of the music, too - and you have the right voice for this sort of stuff! :D

We need another thread, just to post the fulfilled challenges in - I don't think they'll get listened to or appreciated properly without it. :)

We need more people involved! Come on, guys and gals - record something, challenge someone, or even just comment, ferchrissakes! :D

Well, I'll comment.
Bubba, your cover of Iron Fist absolutely blew my mind. I used to listen to a lot of Motorhead back in the day, and that just absolutely made my year! The solo was completely brilliant!
Did you get your son to do the drums?

Well, I'll comment.
Bubba, your cover of Iron Fist absolutely blew my mind. I used to listen to a lot of Motorhead back in the day, and that just absolutely made my year! The solo was completely brilliant!
Did you get your son to do the drums?

Wow! Thanks, Broken_H! Yes, my lad did the drums. He's quite a fan of Bob Marley and one of the few drummers of any age that I know that can play reggae convincingly. He knocked it off stupidly easily. There's an awesome moment at 2:48, just at the end of the solo, that blew my mind too. His percussion fill pops backwards and forwards across the stereo field, finishing on a syncopated "ting" on the ride bell. I just keep replaying it over and over again with a big grin on my face. :D

This was a real departure for me because I normally spend time recreating stuff note-for-note. I suppose that regimen has trained me in how to get exactly what I want when I do something different. The solo came about just experimenting with plugins. It reminded me, if anything, of one of the synthesiser bits on DSOTM - "On The Run" . Then it goes a bit odd. It totally surprised me so I left it in! :D

Many thanks again, it's much appreciated.

Maybe you could do something similar with Houses of the Holy, or maybe Lost in the Supermarket. Either solo would be fun in that style, especially the Clash panning solo in Lost...

Maybe you could do something similar with Houses of the Holy, or maybe Lost in the Supermarket. Either solo would be fun in that style, especially the Clash panning solo in Lost...

I'll give those a listen. :D I love the Clash, so I'd probably find it hard to depart from the script with those songs. :D

We need more people involved! Come on, guys and gals - record something, challenge someone, or even just comment, ferchrissakes! :D

I did a Motorhead cover a few years ago. Mine's pretty faithful to the original though. Wasn't much of a challenge. :(

Okay, Greg...how about converting Anarchy Divine into Motorhead style. (Fates Warning)
You may not like the music, but it's not too big a stretch to take it there, and I think you'll dig the lyrics...you'll have to bring the vocals down an octave (or two). :)

Okay, Greg...how about converting Anarchy Divine into Motorhead style. (Fates Warning)
You may not like the music, but it's not too big a stretch to take it there, and I think you'll dig the lyrics...you'll have to bring the vocals down an octave (or two). :)

Lol. Oh man, I just youtubed that song, and holy fucking crap on a crap cracker there's not a snowball's chance in hell I'm listening to that shit enough to learn it and there's no way I'd put myself or my equipment through the agony of recording it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I love Lost In The Supermarket.
For about 15 years I taught it to each class I had.
Great starting point for discussions but it's such a lyric reliant song that carrying it off would require a good memory and a voice - neither are in my bag.
It was fun re lsitening to AOSpades Greg - cool cover.

Bubba Po,
cool cover mate. Seems to have all the elements in place - the bass works a treat.
Cod reggae covers were all the rage once. I think this one has a more genuine feel/sound to it.

I did a Motorhead cover a few years ago. Mine's pretty faithful to the original though. Wasn't much of a challenge. :(

Bloody hell, Greg - Phil Taylor wishes he could drum that tight! Rest of the instruments are spot on, too. Great job! :D

What did you reckon to madmush's effort?

Bubba Po,
cool cover mate. Seems to have all the elements in place - the bass works a treat.
Cod reggae covers were all the rage once. I think this one has a more genuine feel/sound to it.

Thanks very much, Ray. I don't really know how to play reggae, but I referenced a few Marley tracks for the backing and relied on Frank's feel on the drums. I also nicked some of the bassline from "Walking On The Moon", so it is cod reggae, really. :D Looking back at the project this morning, I realised the bass has nothing on it - no eq, no compression, no nothing. weird. Just a Fender P, played with the fingers.

Lol. Oh man, I just youtubed that song, and holy fucking crap on a crap cracker there's not a snowball's chance in hell I'm listening to that shit enough to learn it and there's no way I'd put myself or my equipment through the agony of recording it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

This does say CHALLENGE thread. I figured the challenge would be keeping your lunch down long enough to learn it...But I'd still love to hear the song Motorhead style. Maybe I'll have to pick up my own gauntlet.

Back