TapeandTape Opportunist thief

Good to hear you got it... you lucked out... sorta. Now all you have to do is check that the tape is what he says it is and if it's any good, and your done. :eek: :)

The tails say 996, it's in a 3M box and they're all new. I haven't found any shedding or crap staying on the guides. 996 shouldn't do that anyways. I fast wound a couple pancakes onto some reels for a friend and the tape held together. Very lucky this time.

The tails say 996, it's in a 3M box and they're all new. I haven't found any shedding or crap staying on the guides. 996 shouldn't do that anyways. I fast wound a couple pancakes onto some reels for a friend and the tape held together. Very lucky this time.

Probably better off buying new tape. Too much bad used stuff out there.

Ahh yes. There's a company locally that's selling the remaining GP9 never used. I've never used GP9 but a friend says it's nice, almost close to 996. I don't have a home studio or anything fancy. I simply use tape because not alot of people do and I can still blow everyone away when I say it's not some cd.

I will say there is some excitement when dealing with tapeandtape because you never know what you’re gonna get. :D

Attachments

• mnky.jpg
    mnky.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 119
The following is certainly not an earth shattering post and perhaps not even news-worthy but lemme tell you about an interesting bit that happened to me... I posted a local wanted ad for some quantegy tape, thinking someone in my area may have a stash of unopened reels, and who do I find responded to my ad? Bill, from tapeandtape, with a phone #!!:D:rolleyes: Again, nothing news shattering but it's interesting that he's fishing across the border for clients!:eek::D;) Now, what do you suppose I should say to him?:D:D;);)

Hey Daniel,

Send him an email and tell him your situation has changed. Say someone already sold you some tape in response to your ad, but when you try to use it the tape squeals and the machine slows down. Ask him if he would mind taking the tape off your hands for a really great price. :D :eek: :cool:

Hey Daniel,

Send him an email and tell him your situation has changed. Say someone already sold you some tape in response to your ad, but when you try to use it the tape squeals and the machine slows down. Ask him if he would mind taking the tape off your hands for a really great price. :D :eek: :cool:

Hehe:) Yeah, Tim, I think I'll do just that and milk this story to its limit!:eek::D;)

Well I have had pretty good results from TapeandTape

I just recently bought some Quantegy 406 one pass and Emtec 468 one pass and Zonal 818 one pass and it has been great from Bill from TapeandTape except I had one tape reel problem with the cardboard box holder was crushed and it also damaged and creased the 1/4" tape, so it has drop outs the first 25% of the tape reel, a bummer.

And also Bill was business nice and exchanged the 3M 808 one pass reels that I bought from him off ebay that had sticky shed syndrome problems and exchanged them for the Emtec 468 reel tape 1/4" which has been good except the one damaged crushed 468 reel that he gave me in exchange recently.

I have an advantage over most people here on this thread that I can pick up this reel tape in person at his warehouse in LA and also exchange it for something else if it is defective so.............

In all fairness to TapeandTape, I think that Bill the owner, sells allot of different brands of tape and sometimes it is beyond his control that there is problems with the tape, especially if it is used and older stock that is no longer being manufactured and no way of telling how it was stored. And also it seems he is sometimes probably overwhelmed with allot of orders at times and his business also of collecting from many LA studios reel tapes, that true sometimes he does drop the ball and makes shipping errors and such, the man is very busy running his tape inventory business.

Everybody makes mistakes at times, but Bill's overall ebay feedback rating, although it may be innaccurate somewhat, is pretty damn good considering the volume of business he does and he seems genuine in making it right if I or another customer has problems with his tape.

Come on lets face it, TapeandTape prices are better than most on ebay and even local tape suppliers can't beat his prices on reel tape, so for $2.50, and sometimes a little higher depending on the brand of tape, for 7" reel size and 1/4" Zonal tape, Emtec, 3M and Quantegy, you just can't beat those prices!!!
And he has a good selection of empty reels 7" and 10 1/2".
He also carries all kind of other width reel tapes as well and they are all excellent studio quality tapes one pass and brand new sealed that I have used with no problems, just a few little problems but hey for the price you can't really complain!!!

And too I got sticky shed tape from a good supplier in Los Angeles a few times and they did not know that their stock went bad, so it does happen.
As far as Bill baking tape and then selling it, the man does not have the time to do that, so much tape comes in and goes out of his warehouse he don't have the time to mess around like that and besides, if it is bad, I certainly hope he throws it in the trash and gets some other brand instead, and does not pass it on to another, so I think that is pure speculation in this thread in what he does.

The best 1/4" tape Bill carries I think is the 3M 986 and the Zonal 818/820 reels of tap, it rewinds smooth as silk and fast forwards like it has silicone lubricant and I noticed the tape surface is shiny smooth, records well and sounds great, and the reel tape is precision made and slit cut from the manufacture, it just is great tape. I think it was the best quality reel tape ever made for longer head life and rewind and fast forward professional operational smooth as silk tape that just last and last both record and play over time.

I had a little problem with the Emtec 468 dirtying the heads and guides a little over time shedding a little, but it sounds great and no sticky shed and or rewind problems, also the Quantegy 406 is fantastic tape and sounds great as well with no problems. I think that any Quantegy reel tape is fantastic tape and has its' own true warm analog sound that is hard to compare with.

Just stay away at all costs from the 3M 808 reel tape and all Ampex reel tape except maybe the older 631/632 and or new 499 Ampex formulations are excellent for longevity. All my new or old Ampex 456,457,407,406 etc reel tape has sticky shed syndrome even the the so called sealed newer stuff from mid 1995. And some 3M tapes, but I have to say that the 3M 226 and 250 reel tape that I bought has not had any of these problems and it too sounds good, a little hissy but sounds brighter than most reel tape, I probably need to re-bias for that tape but I use it so little, why bother.

aarowsmith,
there's a very simple way to be fair and it is - be honest, which simply means TELLING THE TRUTH when "composing" your item description.
It does not get any simpler than that.
So, for example, if "you" (anyone) are (is) so "overwhelmed" to know anything about the items you are selling, then describe the items accordingly:
"Used. Condition unknown. History of use unknown. Sold AS IS. No guaranty. "

It does not get simpler than that, you see.

keep on shopping,

/respects

Hear Hear to Dr. Zee's comments...

Just to add, that even criminals have been known to behave in an honest way, on occasion. ;)

cjacek said:
...criminals have been known to behave in an honest way, on occasion. ;)
heh heh, good one.
My comment to that: - "depth beyond necessity". :D
The problem with Bill is that (and this is just my assumption!) DOES know rather well what he is selling, so for him to simply describe his items as "unknown" would not be purely honest, but at least it would qualify his "operation" as "Fair".

Well I have had pretty good results from TapeandTape...

Even if you want to excuse Bill from any liability for his own product line and conduct, you are still left with a chaotic, high-risk situation… in your words, he doesn’t know the background and nature of the tapes he sells, has too much to manage, can’t help it, etc.

However, the days of giving Bill the benefit of the doubt are over. He presents himself as a "Tape expert" on eBay, making false claims and comparisons for various tapes that you won’t hear anywhere else. That’s because he’s making it up to sell whatever tape he has. eBay feedback is broken, especially when the seller makes excuse after excuse, stalling until time runs out to leave feedback. The consistency of the negative feedbacks tapeandtape has is more important than the number.

False claims he’s made over the years in his eBay listings:
- 3M 806 “is exactly similar to the Quantegy 456”
- 3M 8207 logging tape is like Quantegy 407
- 3M 250 is +9 like Quantegy 499
- 3M 986 is a +9 like 499
- AGFA 468 and 469 are “Exactly the same” (They are entirely different formulations and 469 is very bad for sticky-shed, while 468 doesn’t have it)
- Capitol Music Tape was manufactured in 1995 (They stopped making it in the early 80’s and it’s one of the worst for sticky-shed)
- When tapes are weeks or even months late… “I couldn’t find my keys, I ran out of gas, I had a flat tire, my dog ate it, I was in the hospital. My goldfish died, I didn’t get your email, one of my employees screwed up, I was abducted by aliens, etc.”

And no, Ampex 456 from 1995 does not have sticky-shed. I have many reels of it. If you have a 456 tape dated 1995 that has SSS, it’s an older tape in a newer box. This is one of the perils of buying "One-pass" and something I’ve addressed over the years. Once the tape is open it could be anything, possibly not even Ampex or Quantegy at all. It could be AGFA 469 or 3M 226, or something else in the box.

Yes 3M 986 is a good tape, but I won’t be buying any from tapeandtape, even if it’s the last place on earth to get it.

You not only have to trust the person selling one-pass, but also have to trust the people he trusts. In any case when I think of tapeandtape I don’t associate the name with expertise or good judgment.

I can feel sorry for Bill, but when it comes to tape purchases I have to take care of myself and my compadres first.

Last edited:
Case in point:

Tapeandtape has this 3M "one-pass" 986 reel misrepresented as being exactly like Quantegy 499. He also doesn't seem to know bias from level, calling it +8 bias. :rolleyes:

From the description…

"The 3m 986 2" 24 track tape is a +8 bias tape that is exact to the Ampex/Quantegy 499 2" tape."

At least two people I know of, including me have contacted him over the years to make him aware of the errors in his listings. His reactions have ranged from "Screw you!" to "I know, I'll be sure to change it." Yet he continues to misrepresent and confuse tape types with the same descriptions. The analog community, especially newbies, only suffers from this kind of nonsense.

So for anyone that might think I'm a bit hard on the guy, he's an unrepentant, opportunistic arse that won't listen to reason. The only choice I have is to warn people.

Anyway, 986 was the replacement for 226 and was the latest 3M counterpart to Ampex 456. And again, as far as this stuff being one-pass or one hundred pass, God only knows. A money back guarantee isn't worth the paper it's written on if you can't trust the seller. Enough people have reported requesting a refund and it taking months to sort out, or never getting a refund. So he gets your money and the tape in some cases.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed since I started this thread. :mad:

Back