TapeandTape Opportunist thief

Thanks for you input MD. I DO know about this "SSS" problem...bad binder (probably an EPA generated side effect), needs to baked, may not show up for ten years, brings your machine to a squealing halt, and most importantly, STAY AWAY FROM IT...although, I have never experienced it myself. Unfortunately, it would appear that a LOT of eBay tape may well be of that genre. As a matter of fact, concern about the "SSS" issue and fear of a "TOO good price" are the principal reasons I found your interesting forum.

As far as the Crown being able to handle 911, I'm not worried at all. It is a professional grade machine, albeit it was the "home use" model next to it's big brothers of the "CX" series. What I hope to do is settle on a personal tape standard and have the man that's assembling my Crown set the bias before he ships it to me.

At any rate, your comments are much appreciated and once again confirming that RMGI 911 is a solid choice. Thanks....

Rhino

Rhino,
It's not so much whether a machine is "pro" enough or not, but different tape machines are designed to handle different levels. This can be adjusted on most machines -- to a point -- but it's generally a good idea to have the machine calibrated as the factory intended.

-MD

Xiat is a trustworthy vendor. They are completely legit. For your vintage Crown I recommend giving AMPEX/Quantegy 632 a try, but also try a few others like 911 and LPR35.

The most important thing to know about eBay and vendors like tapeandtape is there are a few self-proclaimed experts there that haven’t a clue, or more like they’re hoping you haven’t got a clue. ;)

Hello to all, especially the BBS "regulars",

Which brings me to a couple of questions: has anybody had bad experiences with "Xiat" at "SPLICIT"? After two other "high-end electronics" transactions (which fortunately didn't cost me a LOT of money) that turned out to be bogus scams, I'm becoming paranoid about eBay in general.

Rhino

Can't help you with Xiat (never heard of them) but I just bought some tape and splicing tape from splicit, and they rock- great communication, prompt delivery, and a free roll of leader tape to boot :D

Yes, welcome to the forum Rhino! Nothing really to add 'cause the guys covered it all but just to reiterate that xiat / splicit is one and the same and they're indeed legit, as was already mentioned. :);)

they rock- great communication, prompt delivery, and a free roll of leader tape to boot :D

+1 to that. I received my stuff much faster than I thought I would.:D Great folks and they also carry some kick ass 10.5" (1/4") metal reels to.;)

Thanks a lot for the inside word on Splicit guys...I'm in! I haven't found any price on 911 lower than theirs.

To: the maddog; Gotch'a. I know for certain that the Crown will "handle" essentially any tape...the bias can be set for any tape's properties via a back panel adjustment. While I was looking at an Ampex (on eBay) my "tapeoholic" friend Dave, told me that particular model was actually made in Japan when Ampex was on it's death bed and was not really an "Ampex" at all. What intrigued me about it was that it had a front panel adjustment for three different tape bias settings. I thought that was SUPER! Dave then explained that those settings are factory fixed...I thought YOU got to set each one like the pre-sets on your car radio!

However, what I am (or rather was) trying to determine was what kind of tape would work as my bread'n'butter "standard". I'm sure that I will learn to make the bias corrections myself, but realistically, why would I want to? For you guys that do a LOT of recording, I can appreciate that access to many different brands of tape would be important economically...I'm sure you wouldn't pass a "great deal" on a bulk buy of a decent tape just because you didn't want to adjust the bias! Me...I probably won't do enough recording to have to "experiment" with many different brands and recording qualities. If my future turns out differently, I guess I WILL learn to adjust the bias! But, for the time being, I want to do exactly what you suggest...have the man assembling my Crown to set the bias to EMTEC/RMGI 911 before he ships it. That way I'll know it's RIGHT...no guess work.

Anyhow, I'm going with 911 for quality, broad recording applicability and availability WITHOUT the damned "SSS" crap to worry about.

Also...to cjack...thanks for your "welcome"...damn, I'm really excited about getting my tape deck! I just got a MC602 and an Empire 698 in drop-dead BEAUTIFUL condition. Now I'm looking for a C2200 and a Dynavector Karat, all to go with the "new" Crown.

I'm glad you guys will put up with a guy that barely knows you need TWO reels to make the deck work properly! I wonder how many folks have bought "pancakes" and ended up with ENORMOUS spills....

Rhino

From the description:

"I bought this one-pass tape from TapeTape about 2 years ago. I used about a half of one reel, then abandoned the project."

No kidding, I would abandon the project too... the sound coming back off this sticky-shed tape must have sounded like hell. :p

"What's all the fuss about analog," he thinks. :(

Thanks again tapeandtape for "Keeping tape alive"... and sticking. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160143021715

Attachments

• tapetape.jpg
    tapetape.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 100
From the description:

"I bought this one-pass tape from TapeTape about 2 years ago. I used about a half of one reel, then abandoned the project."

No kidding, I would abandon the project too... the sound coming back off this sticky-shed tape must have sounded like hell. :p

"What's all the fuss about analog," he thinks. :(

Thanks again tapeandtape for "Keeping tape alive"... and sticking. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160143021715

I'm really glad I found this thread...I found that auction today and was considering bidding on it! No chance in hell now!

Sparks are flying from my teeth; grind grind.

No friggin way. You know where I found this thread? In the feedback section for our buddy tapetape on eBay.

Normally I buy all my stuff whether it's tape or equipment from people I know or where I can at least touch, taste, and test. My friend pointed me out to an auction for a "new" box of 12 pancakes of 3M 996 from this guy. I've never used eBay before so I set myself up and did a buy it now thinking I'd get this stuff and we'd split it between ourselves.

It's been almost 2 months now and I've never seen my purchase. I paid via money order and waited until July 7 to email him. He emailed back the next day with the tone that my email accidentally went to him. I said this is who I am and what's going on? He said he'd look into getting a tracking number.

A little over 2 weeks pass and I email him again, and yet again he doesn't remember me. I told him who I was and what the hell is going on? He said he'd get a tracking number and let me know.

Another week. I put a negative feedback to see if that'd stir the pot. Surely enough he phones me at work (I live there, it's just easier that way) giving me the grind about how it hurts his operation. Well sorry, I run a business too and this is the worst I've been jerked around. At least with my customers when I forget I kiss ass a little. (I like keeping them coming back).

So whatever, appearently they're "moving to a bigger warehouse because they need the space" is what Bill told me. Yeah okay I'm thinking. He promised me now he's shipping with FedEx and it'd take 4 buisness days. Ship what I wonder? That means he never shipped the package in the first place and the whole US/Canada thing was just to shut me up.

ARGH! Well, I learned. I don't know what the package is yet. I'm hoping it's 12 pancakes of 996. I really am.

Last edited:
No friggin way. You know where I found this thread? In the feedback section for our buddy tapetape on eBay.

That really was a great idea someone putting a link to this thread in that guy's feedback profile. You should actually do the same in the "followup", regardless of the outcome. I'm sure many turned away as a result of it, unfortunately not all. Sad to hear about your experience.

I'll let you know what the outcome is when it arrives in case you're all interested. I've been waiting too long for this.

Well, it's been two weeks and still nothing since the day he phoned and said it'd be 4 buisness days with FedEx.

You think I'll ever see it?

Well, it's been two weeks and still nothing since the day he phoned and said it'd be 4 buisness days with FedEx.

You think I'll ever see it?

Probably not.

The first thing I tell people if they have bought from tapeandtape on eBay is to not let your time run out for eBay to intervene. Both eBay and paypal have complaint processes, but they are only available for a limited time.

Bill from tapeandtape/tapetape (actually he is the company, and I doubt he is getting a new warehouse, unless he means he’s moving into a double-wide) is known for using delay tactics until eBay remedies have run out. He is very friendly and apologetic on the phone and he can schmooze you right past the 90-day cutoff so you can’t even leave negative feedback.

However, he acts as a criminal, and I encourage anyone that he has ripped off to file a criminal fraud complaint with his state Attorney General. What he is doing is Internet theft and fraud, which are violations of US state and federal criminal laws, and there are additional violations for international commerce.

Tell him to refund your money at once or you’re contacting the Los Angeles Police Department…

http://www.lapdonline.org/search_results/content_basic_view/1490

The California State Attorney General...

http://caag.state.ca.us/

And filing a complaint with The Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.ic3.gov/

Best of luck

Last edited:
Well, it came in the mail finally. When I wrote my last post I figured for some reason the delivery notice was in my mail slot. I picked it up last night. It was what I paid for luckily, but it wasn't sent FedEx. It was USPS, and it didn't take a month to clear, it took four days. The package was stamped Aug 14, Canada customs stamped Aug 18 and I picked it up Aug 21. So in the beginning it wasn't sent when my money order arrived and I have no idea when that was because the emails I wrote asking if he received it were answered with another question. GOD DAMMIT. Whatever.

Back