TapeandTape Opportunist thief

1. (snip) I will tell you that the +9 tapes can present the potential for being a little harder on your tape path because of the thicker back-coating...Do I have that right guys?

3. Again, if you want to buy new +6 tape, RMGI SM911 is it. The only other current manufacturer is ATR Magnetics, but I think all their stuff is currently +9 tape.

1. Yes, the thicker tape can be harder on transports, some of which, like the 388, I believe are designed for 1 mil tape since they use 7 inch reels. Also, trying to run the hotter levels on a machine designed for +3 or +6 tape will likely give you record amp distortion before the tape saturates.

3. Don't forget that RMGI also makes SM 468, which is also a +6 tape. Not everyone who sells RMGI sells SM 468 or sells it in all available formats. 468 is a good tape too. I have seven reels of EMTEC SM 468 in 1/2" that I'll be using on my Otari and then I'll have to decide whether to go with SM 468 or SM 911 (or ATR!) when I need new tape.

Cheers,

Otto

Thread revival. He's getting some positive press at Tapeheads.net. Or at least "he seem like a great guy." or "I bought some tape from him...." I was much too gentle in my response.

Thread revival. He's getting some positive press at Tapeheads.net. Or at least "he seem like a great guy." or "I bought some tape from him...." I was much too gentle in my response.

I haven't been on Tapeheads for a long time. Bill Hallmark of tapetape should be in jail. That is my 2 cents.

Hi, All Ampex 456 2" tape has sticky shed. I
have had 2 of 10 3M 996 2" reels that were shedding!

Of 40 Ampex/Quantegy 499 2" reels I have, 2
left a slight black dust on the edges of the guides.
The tapes were purchased from a church studio.
I cleaned the guides with alcohol and a microfiber
Cloth. Then recorded all 24 tracks without a signal
At 30 IPS. Wiping the tapes clean. I have been using
this tape and it is great!
My Dolby SR tones line up on record and playback
Without any gumming.

I am sticking with Ampex/Quantegy 499!
Tom

Yeah...I'm using 499 on my 2"...love it...but I do have a few reels of Quantegy 456, and that stuff is fine.
Also have some reels of EMTEC/BASF 911 (almost same as 456) and that stuff is great. It's without a doubt the silkiest/smoothest tape formulation, IMO.

If you find some of the last run of Ampex 456, it's probably OK...stuff from the mid-late '90s before it was officialy re-branded as Quantegy.

I got some 456 from the mid 90s that's just fine. Can't figure out the date code, but it was made in Alabama, not Redwood City in Ca.

Ampex 456 with the label across the bottom of the box (as opposed to across the middle) and all 499 is fine. I use only 499 in my little studio. Just uncovered a mother load of the stuff. I now work in Glendale/Burbank, there are a ton of studios around here. i explore at lunch. Latest told me to haul out all I wanted. I only took the sealed new stuff, LOL

I only took the sealed new stuff, LOL

Any time that load gets to be too much...I'll be happy to lighten it a bit for you. :)

I bet the studios there all have some pile somewhere in their back room from when they still rolled tape.
Not so much out here on the east coast anymore. :(

Its rarely in the studio proper anymore. The all have storage facilities, at least that is my experience. Once you get in there you are golden!!!

Back