"Sound City"....the movie.

Yeah, that Dave Grohl guy is such a hack. How dare he acknowledge how he and so many others got to where they are. He should just stay in the bedroom making bad punk on a computer.
WTF are you babbling about? Who said anything about any of that?

Greg and I agree on tube amps VS sims! :D

MFC to you too! :)

This is very true. Miro and I agree on lots of the basic aspects of making sounds and recording them. We might differ on many other things, but we can stand united against the losers that shun amps in favor of 1s and 0s.*

*I know some people can't record or afford good tube amps for many practical reasons. My comments are for the losers that willingly shun amps when they don't have to.

Greg, why do you think that my comment was directed towards you? I was replying to Miro's comment about getting the "vibe" of an old studio with what may be considered old techniques. Get your head out of the way. It's not all about you.

The style of music I like to play/record was never on the radio.
lol, should have grown up in Connecticut. :D. The first band I ever 'mixed sound' for was my friends' punk band. I say I mixed sound, but I just sat there and drank beer in front of the console. :) Punk was huge when I was in high school. I never made it to CBGB's, but I went to Ron's Place in New Haven fairly often.

Greg, why do you think that my comment was directed towards you? I was replying to Miro's comment about getting the "vibe" of an old studio with what may be considered old techniques. Get your head out of the way. It's not all about you.

What? Do you have some kind of disorder? Again, WTF are you babbling about? I didn't think anything you said was about me. You just tourettes blurted out some random nonsense like it had something to do with something. STFU and go back under your rock.

LOL! I don't even know WTF the argument is about! How can anyone argue about something as subjective as music? ! might like Italian food(love it), whereas Greg might like Mexican food. Does the fact that Greg likes Mexican food, but not Italian(I assume that he really likes Italian) make him a bad person and an asshole? No! He's a bad person and an asshole on his own, but it has nothing to do with his taste in food! LOL! The point is that you can't argue objectively about subjective topics! LOL!:wtf:

So I don't really get where you're going with this line of thought.

Again....I'm just saying that much of the music that we have some stronger connection to, one that goes beyond pure music appreciation like/dislike stuff, is often the music we grew up with.
Not ALL the music we grew up with, as there are always many genres at play during any given period...but we are affected more strongly by some specific genre that is present during our growing years that we develop a taste for, and one that is also in many ways tied to our growing up environment at the time....the shit that's going on around us.

You like punk rock a lot...sure, you can trace its roots back probably to before you were born, though it actually became a genre in the mid-late '70s...but it's evolution and mainstay, and the more hardcore punk, went on through the '80s up until grunge/alt took over. You were a teenager then...right?

That applies to everyone, not just you....we are all most affected by things during our growing years...and not just about a given music style. The real point I was making was about how people will judge something that they did not really experience during their growing years. It's not the same.
That's all I'm saying...and that just "looking back" on some music you might find it good, or bad today, whatever....but it wasn't necessarily perceived like that during it's heyday, and IF you were a teen then, I am confident you're views/tastes would be affected by it.

... I really like Mac back in their Peter Greenwood days....

I have NO idea why I said "Greenwood"....it was Peter Green. :facepalm:
I guess I had some kind of mental mash-up with Mick Fleetwood and Peter Green. :D

Then why did you quote me as if it did? STFU? No, I don't think so. Good night, Greg.

I quoted you because I was speaking directly to you. Not because I thought what you said was directed at me or about me. Your initial comments seemed random and irrelevant, so I asked WTF? Get it yet? Maybe Santa will bring you a clue for Christmas and some ointment for your butthurt.

LOL! I don't even know WTF the argument is about! How can anyone argue about something as subjective as music? ! might like Italian food(love it), whereas Greg might like Mexican food. Does the fact that Greg likes Mexican food, but not Italian(I assume that he really likes Italian) make him a bad person and an asshole? No! He's a bad person and an asshole on his own, but it has nothing to do with his taste in food! LOL! The point is that you can't argue objectively about subjective topics! LOL!:wtf:

I don't like mexican food, but I love italian food.

Again....I'm just saying that much of the music that we have some stronger connection to, one that goes beyond pure music appreciation like/dislike stuff, is often the music we grew up with.
Not ALL the music we grew up with, as there are always many genres at play during any given period...but we are affected more strongly by some specific genre that is present during our growing years that we develop a taste for, and one that is also in many ways tied to our growing up environment at the time....the shit that's going on around us.

You like punk rock a lot...sure, you can trace its roots back probably to before you were born, though it actually became a genre in the mid-late '70s...but it's evolution and mainstay, and the more hardcore punk, went on through the '80s up until grunge/alt took over. You were a teenager then...right?

That applies to everyone, not just you....we are all most affected by things during our growing years...and not just about a given music style. The real point I was making was about how people will judge something that they did not really experience during their growing years. It's not the same.
That's all I'm saying...and that just "looking back" on some music you might find it good, or bad today, whatever....but it wasn't necessarily perceived like that during it's heyday, and IF you were a teen then, I am confident you're views/tastes would be affected by it.
I don't disagree with the idea of any of that, but it doesn't apply to me. The music I like was never relevant during any of my formative years. I was too young to have experienced most of it as it was happening.

…came here to talk about an awesome documentary…instead it's a thread where Greg_L is arguing about why Fleetwood Mac sucks. Seriously, dude, if you don't' like it then let it go. I'm a 21 year old punk rocker and I grew up listening to Fleetwood Mac. Mick Fleetwood is a great, heavy-hitting drummer and Lindsey Buckingham is a great guitar player that finger picks virtually everything. His technique is really unique and interesting (as our some of his modified guitars) so to write them off as crap music of the era would be a gross exaggeration. Not to mention, Stevie Nicks can still fuckin' sing. Good songwriting is good songwriting, no matter what era or genre, and Fleetwood Mac is still selling out arenas how many decades later? If they were some horrible product of music of the era, then I highly doubt they would still be enjoying so much success years later.

All that being said, honestly who cares one way or the other? You either like it or you don't - that doesn't make your musical taste superior to anyone else's. To each their own. I'd imagine people who post on this forum are looking to have intelligent conversations and solve home recording problems instead of having to wade through four pages of a topic that has been completely derailed. Thanks, dude.

…came here to talk about an awesome documentary…instead it's a thread where Greg_L is arguing about why Fleetwood Mac sucks. Seriously, dude, if you don't' like it then let it go. I'm a 21 year old punk rocker and I grew up listening to Fleetwood Mac. Mick Fleetwood is a great, heavy-hitting drummer and Lindsey Buckingham is a great guitar player that finger picks virtually everything. His technique is really unique and interesting (as our some of his modified guitars) so to write them off as crap music of the era would be a gross exaggeration. Not to mention, Stevie Nicks can still fuckin' sing.

All that being said, honestly who cares one way or the other? You either like it or you don't - that doesn't make your musical taste superior to anyone else's. To each their own. I'd imagine people who post on this forum are looking to have intelligent conversations and solve home recording problems instead of having to wade through four pages of a topic that has been completely derailed. Thanks, dude.

:facepalm:

Seriously? That's what you got out of this? Dumb.

I don't disagree with the idea of any of that, but it doesn't apply to me. The music I like was never relevant during any of my formative years. I was too young to have experienced most of it as it was happening.

Well....maybe.

It's different when we get old enough to really listen to music....but, even when you are 7-8 years old, there is a subconscious influence by what we hear and the shit that goes around us even if we are not analyzing and rationalizing it.

I don't disagree with you that a lot of the music back then was shit...it's not that, I'm not carrying a torch for Fleetwood Mac or Rick Springfield....:)....just saying that when you are experiencing something first-hand, as it happens, it's going to have a deeper (though maybe subconscious) effect on you than when you "look back" on something and pass judgment over it.

Anyway....I thought the FM "Rumours" album was pretty good at the time, and liked some of the songs....but after hearing it 1,000,000 times....I don't much care to hear any of it ever again, though that said, when I happen hear one of those tunes on the radio (rare)...there's that instant time-trip, and there is some connection to it, regardless of its artistic quality, etc.

Like back in the late '70s there was also Steely Dan with "Aja"...an album I absolutely despise to listen to, but that's not because they sucked as musicians, but simply because it was radio saturated at the time....not to mention, I hung out with these chicks who would listen to it on tape in their cars all the time...then we all went on a camping trip to North Carolina, and they brought that tape along.......:facepalm:...and that was it for me and Steely Dan music!!! :D

Back