"Sound City"....the movie.

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
Just watched this tonight on Palladia....it's really worth seeing! :cool:

It's a documentary about the famous studio....but it's more than that, it also talks about the traditional recording process that focused around the studio performances and that old-school "live" approach. Plus it also covers some the old-school gear, that by its use, pushed the recording performances.
It's not so much about "analog"...but it does show the difference of working that way compared to the when digital first came on the scene and how it changed the recording process. Sound City Studios was pretty much a track-to-tape facility right to it's end.

Not to mention.....the movie has a huge roster of big name artists in it, talking about their time at Sound City Studios and about the recording process.

Sound City Movie

Sound City Studios - Los Angeles CA

Yeah....I guess today that shit sounds pretty dated and boring, but it IS the history of the studio.
You gotta understand, when those Fleetwood Mac albums came out, they were THE hottest shit around and they were selling out arenas after that.

I mean, they were a new sound that 1.) took Mac in a whole new direction, and 2.) gave Pop/Rock another new flavor.
It was on the radio non-stop. I musta heard those Mac songs a million times back then.
Plus....Stevie Nicks was actually pretty cute back then! :D

Yeah....I guess today that shit sounds pretty dated and boring, but it IS the history of the studio.
You gotta understand, when those Fleetwood Mac albums came out, they were THE hottest shit around and they were selling out arenas after that.

I mean, they were a new sound that 1.) took Mac in a whole new direction, and 2.) gave Pop/Rock another new flavor.
It was on the radio non-stop. I musta heard those Mac songs a million times back then.
Plus....Stevie Nicks was actually pretty cute back then! :D

None of that convinces me that it isn't putrid dentist office geezer hippe-dippie yacht rock. :laughings:

Lol. I do agree though that Stevie Nicks was pretty damn hot 40 years ago for a fucking gypsy hippie with a man voice..

None of that convinces me that it isn't putrid dentist office geezer hippe-dippie yacht rock. :laughings:

I'm sure if you were a teenager in the '50s, you would love Do Wop music, and having grease in your hair...and if you were a teen in the mid-late '60s, you would love Motown and Beatles, and a couple of years later you would be a flower-power hippie, wearing paisley and sandals ....and same goes for the '70s, '80s, etc.

:D

You have to consider it in the context of what was going on in each period, along with what was going on right before it....which isn't easy to do if you just do a time-trip and hear that stuff today.

Check out Steive Nicks on the cover of the Buckingham Nicks album. :o

Buckingham Nicks.jpg

I'm sure if you were a teenager in the '50s, you would love Do Wop music, and having grease in your hair...and if you were a teen in the mid-late '60s, you would love Motown and Beatles, and a couple of years later you would be a flower-power hippie, wearing paisley and sandals ....and same goes for the '70s, '80s, etc.

You have to consider it in the context of what was going on in each period, along with what was going on right before it....which isn't easy to do if you just do a time-trip and hear that stuff today.

Wrong, but since you are a product of the 70s you go ahead and think that.

Me, I like tons of stuff from the 60s and 70s. I don't care about the decade. I care about the music. Fleetwood Mac is IMO everything that sucks about 70s rock music.

Wrong, but since you are a product of the 70s you go ahead and think that.

Me, I like tons of stuff from the 60s and 70s. I don't care about the decade. I care about the music. Fleetwood Mac is IMO everything that sucks about 70s rock music.

Sure, it's easy for anyone to say something like that....NOT having grown up as a teen during that (or any) period....and then now, cherry-picking what they like or not like, from a period they didn't grow up in! :D

I personally wasn't a big Fleetwood Mac fan of that period, though I really like Mac back in their Peter Greenwood days....but I'm just saying that going back to the Sound City movie and the history of that time....when Fleetwood Mack came out with their "Fleetwood Mac" and then "Rumours" albums...they were on top, and there's was a solid quality to the studio productions, and that it revitalized the Pop/Rock genre....at the time.
I'm not trying to convince you to like it....just making the observation of what actually happened....rather than say, talking about what I like or don't like about some period that I didn't live in.

It's easy for you to say that....NOT having been growing up as a teen during that period, and now when you can cherry-pick what you like from that period! :D
Invalid argument. I absolutely CAN cherry-pick all I want. I didn't grow up in the 1800s either, but I'm pretty fucking sure I don't want to ride a horse everywhere and die from a cold at 42 years old.

I personally wasn't a big Fleetwood Mac fan of that period, though I really like Mac back in their Peter Greenwood days....but I'm just saying that going back to the Sound City movie and the history of that time....when Fleetwood Mack came out with their "Fleetwood Mac" and then "Rumours" albums...they were on top, and there's was a solid quality to the studio productions, and that it revitalized the Pop/Rock genre....at the time.
I'm not trying to convince you to like it....just making the observation of what actually happened....rather than say, talking what I like or don't like about some period that I didn't live in.

I'm not saying Fleetwood Mac wasn't popular. That doesn't matter to me. I'm also not saying the production was bad because all of those horrendous classic albums do sound fantastic. I just think that music is terrible. All that 70s AOR shit is awful to me. Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Boston, blech. I didn't have to "live it" to have ears and a mind that can form it's own opinions. Saying that my opinion is invalid because of the date on my birth certificate is retarded.

Saying that my opinion is invalid because of the date on my birth certificate is retarded.

No, I'm not saying that at all. Your opinion is absolutely valid....I'm just saying that your opinion is solely based on NOT having been there at the time and growing up with that music. ;)

You certainly can ignore that point....but it's a big point when it comes to what we tend to like/dislike musically.
Sure, we can all step back in time and find music we like/dislike that we didn't grow up with...but that's not the same thing.
Tell me what you like to play/record the most (well, we already know that)....and then tell me how old you were when that music was breaking big on the radio. :)

Anyway...I think the movie was cool...and the music is part of Sound City Studios. I think that's the reason Grohl is recording that album with that whole vibe.

Last edited:
Yeah, that Dave Grohl guy is such a hack. How dare he acknowledge how he and so many others got to where they are. He should just stay in the bedroom making bad punk on a computer.

No, I'm not saying that at all. Your opinion is absolutely valid....I'm just saying that your opinion is solely based on NOT having been there at the time and growing up with that music. ;)
I grew up with lots of bad music. I don't like a lot of 80s-90s stuff either. So I don't really get where you're going with this line of thought. I like bits and pieces of each era of music. That's the beauty of hindsight. I can totally pick and choose what I like. I like 50s and 60s rock and roll. I don't like 60s hippie psychedelia, jam bands, or folk music. I like 60s and 70's punk and garage rock. I don't like 60s and 70s mainstream progressive pop rock or disco. I like 80s hardcore. I don't like 80s pop or hair metal. I like some 90s "grunge". I don't like 90s gangsta rap. See how that works? I don't see how "being there" means anything. If "being there" means that I would like horrid shit like Fleetwood Mac by default, then I'm fucking glad as hell that I wasn't there.

Tell me what you like to play/record the most (well, we already know that)....and then tell me how old you were when that music was breaking big on the radio. :)
The style of music I like to play/record was never on the radio. If, say for argument's sake, it was ever on the radio, I would have been somewhere between not born yet to maybe 5-10 years old at the latest. So, again, I fail to see where you're going with this. Am I fraud because I wasn't at CBGBs in 1975? Your points might apply to people that have listened to Casey Kasem's top-40 dance party, but you know damn good and well that I, me personally, am not influenced by radio play or commercial success.

Back