"Sound City"....the movie.

Yeah....I have to agree.
They sorta teased about the special drum sound they got there and the Neve and that stuff....but then didn't really spend a heck of a lot of time talking about that in any real detail.
Exactly. They went on to gush over the drum sounds they got with that room and console, but that was it. Gushing. Talk about it. I don't give a fuck that Stevie Nicks slept on the floor.

I agree with both of those but I also think that it's not so much the opinion that fires some people up as much as the way it's stated.
If, for example, someone said "Man, your Mum/wife/girlfriend/kid is weird looking", they'd only be stating their opinion. But few would just take it like that, even though that's all it is.
And let's face it, Greg does like to be provocative by stating that anything that he doesn't like is shit and I think he knows that most human beings are going to be up in arms about being told that something they like is shit. Even if it's just one person's opinions.
That all said, sometimes, one has to look past the surface where the stuff that fights are made of reside and get to the meat of the point. The issue in this thread isn't whether or not someone who likes aggressive music in general thinks that softer thought out music is crap, but whether or not the documentary did justice to it's title......

In that case, yes. If I said something ugly about someone's mom/wife/kids/song :D... I would certainly think it is a bit more of personal attack.

But on some things, there should be some separation from personal. Like if I said, the Ramones suck big whillies. OK, not my bag of tea, now if someone from the Ramones showed up, it would be different.

In that case, yes. If I said something ugly about someone's mom/wife/kids/song :D... I would certainly think it is a bit more of personal attack.

But on some things, there should be some separation from personal. Like if I said, the Ramones suck big whillies. OK, not my bag of tea, now if someone from the Ramones showed up, it would be different.

That's what's funny to me. People always "attack" me by saying things like my music sucks, or the Ramones suck, or punk rock sucks, or something equally retarded. I don't give a fuck. Why should I? The way I see it, if you're not actually a member of Fleetwood Mac, you shouldn't give a rats ass if anyone likes them or not. And if you are a member of Fleetwood Mac and you read comments from some guy on the net that doesn't like your band, you shouldn't give a fuck either. Just count your money and take your pills and be happy. I really doubt Stevie Nicks gives a shit that some dude on the internet thinks her band is fucking lame as hell.

if you're not actually a member of Fleetwood Mac, you shouldn't give a rats ass if anyone likes them or not.
All things being equal, I agree.
But for whatever reason, things aren't. We're human and we're somewhat warped. And because of this, the things we like or are attached to become more than just "things" but some kind of statement about us. It's illogical, it's daft, it raises our blood pressure....but at some point in our existence, it's us. I've never yet come across someone that hasn't felt strongly about something.
And it will come out one day.
Truth is, a person doesn't really need a reason for liking or disliking something other than "I like this" or "I dislike that". Half the time we don't even know why we like or dislike.
And half the time we well and know !

I really doubt Stevie Nicks gives a shit that some dude on the internet thinks her band is fucking lame as hell.
I wouldn't bet my life on that. As you once pointed out, artists in the modern media era want {in many cases need} to be loved and liked. People are strange......money and power won't innure someone from feeling. And especially if you're used to everyone bowing and scraping, I'd not be surprised at all if one lone voice saying "sheesh, I hate that *^$£$^^%'s songs" gradually sends that person into a serious tailspin of depression and doubt.

I dig the Ramones and a lot of the punk bands that did good, solid songs, fun or serious, where the music was a meld of R&R/Rockabilly but with modern punk attitudes and topics. There were also some punk bands that got way too weird for my taste.

We use to do Ramones, Clash, Lou Reed and some other '80s New Wave/Punk/NY Rock...right along side of the more classic Rock/Blues stuff from the likes of Neil Young, Clapton, etc.....and it worked well together.

I wouldn't bet my life on that. As you once pointed out, artists in the modern media era want {in many cases need} to be loved and liked. People are strange......money and power won't innure someone from feeling. And especially if you're used to everyone bowing and scraping, I'd not be surprised at all if one lone voice saying "sheesh, I hate that *^$£$^^%'s songs" gradually sends that person into a serious tailspin of depression and doubt.

But Stevie Nicks? She's 200 years old and rich as hell. I don't for one second think she would care that some nobody (me) thinks her music sucks and that she sings like a goat being castrated. Her retarded fanbase will stick up for her and make all of my points for me.

But Stevie Nicks? She's 200 years old and rich as hell.
It's a funny thing because so many of us think deep down that having loads of money would be the answer to all life's woes but in my observation, I've often found that far from the opposite, people get more insecure the older and more supposedly comfortable they become. Not everyone, but a lot I've observed have.
I think Stevie Nicks would have traded all the events and wealth of the last 35 years for a husband that loved her and some children. She's said words that lead me to that conclusion.

She must be a real bitch then because back in the day she was really cute and on her way to stardom. You'd think there's a guy out there somewhere that would have loved her, or at least pretended to. You know what they say......for every hot chick there's a dude that's sick of her shit. :laughings:

I don't think she's any happier or unhappier than the rest of the population. Life is what it is. Sometimes it's good, and other times it's not so good. It just is what it is. She did abort Don Henely's potential human being(embryo), but I doubt seriously that she sits around and thinks about it. I tell you what no one here can argue about; Don Henley is a great singer. And songwriter. Plus, he's a Native Texan! LOL!:D

Don Henley? The drummer for the Eagles? :facepalm: :laughings:

I know quite a few rich older guys. Not rich from creative endeavors, but rich from business. They all seem to be happier than a pig in slop to me. I've personally never met an unhappy rich person. Maybe money really does buy happiness, unless you're just an unhappy person to begin with. Maybe creative types are prone to unhappiness. Fuck em. I'm more creative than the average joe and not rich and I'm a happy guy. :)

Happiness is a state of mind. It's a choice. Unless someone has a chemical problem of some sort, happiness is a choice. I'll be damned if I'll waste the remaining time I have here on the planet being unhappy. Or pissed off. Don't have time for it!:laughings:

That ironic because I like offending people. Some people just walk around looking for something that offends them. I oblige them! LOL!

That's not really an example of irony. Irony would be something like you go around offending people and inadvertently get offended yourself.

You'd think there's a guy out there somewhere that would have loved her, or at least pretended to.

Her and Lindsey Buckingham were a couple and music duo before and when they joined up with Fleetwood Mac...so I'm guessing he musta' loved her. :D
Not sure why they split....but then, they didn't let it mess up the band. Same thing with Christine and John McVie. They were married and then got divorced while with FM.
So there were two couple who became ex-couples in the band....and they still played together for a good while after that (the money was too good to pass up).

I seem to recall that Stevie became a total coke-head and was also hooked on heavy tranquilizers ....so maybe that played into he personal life not involving a regular "Mr. Nicks". Plus, there was talk of her being involved in witchcraft.
Maybe the guys were afraid she would turn them into a newt if they didn't do good by her. :laughings:

I seem to recall that Stevie became a total coke-head and was also hooked on heavy tranquilizers ....so

I think she got into drugs because she woke up one morning and realized she was practically married to Buckingham. That should turn any girl into a drug addict.

Back