"Sound City"....the movie.

Yeah...I was trying to understand that.
First spend a lot of $$$ to get all revved up....then spend some more $$$ to get back down. :D

Though I think it was two different periods. First the coke, then I guess someone musta prescribed the downs to mellow her out and get her off the coke....so then she got hooked on the downs, and that's probably when she ballooned out too.

You're absolutely right! However, I do sometimes inadvertently offend myself! LOL! And I'll have you know that Don Henley's happiness just took a nosedive due to your remark about him! LOL!

Her and Lindsey Buckingham were a couple and music duo before and when they joined up with Fleetwood Mac...so I'm guessing he musta' loved her. :D
Not sure why they split....but then, they didn't let it mess up the band. Same thing with Christine and John McVie. They were married and then got divorced while with FM.
So there were two couple who became ex-couples in the band....and they still played together for a good while after that (the money was too good to pass up).
Well, that's how "Rumours" came to be called "Rumours", because the three writers were writing about their various break ups {Mick Fleetwood's marriage to George Harrison'e ex sister in law Jennie, was also breaking up during it's making} and at one point John McVie quipped that the songs sounded like a load of rumours.....
Buckingham and Nicks had been an item for about 10 years, since they were teenagers and their relationship was already in trouble when they joined the Mac. She says that her "Dreams" and Buckingham's "Go your own way" were their respective views of their relationship. One of my favourite parts of any documentary is in the "Classic albums" series when Stevie Nicks is talking about "Go your own way" and in the most pained and bitter way says that she regarded the line "Shacking up is all you want to do..." as soooooo disrespectful. She felt it was a nasty, barbed slight thrown at her and she kind of felt she was being reasonable in "I don't want to know" and certainly in "Dreams" by saying
"Now here you go again
You say you want your freedom
Well who am I to keep you down
It's only right that you should
Play the way you feel it".....although if you go further into that song, she was being pretty catty herself.
Then on top of that, John McVie's drinking and subsequent insensitivity to his wife's feelings had finally reached the point where she was driven into the arms of their lighting director at which point she wrote "Songbird" and "You make loving fun" about this new love and then the band sacked him when the affair was exposed. With John Mac trying to get her back and her saying "I don't want you any more" she took a positive slant in "Don't stop" in which she moreorless says your life can still be good. Yesterday's gone but tomorrow is in your grasp. "The Chain" kind of sums up where they were all at, relationship internecine warfare, and "Gold dust woman" charts the start of Stevie Nicks' descent into coke dependency.
Except for "Oh Daddy", you can find all kinds of insights to the fractious state they were all in over that year and that's one of the reasons it's such a powerful album. I'm not interested in any of their other stuff. I like 3 of their 60s singles when they were an English band but I love "Rumours". I dug it long before I even knew who these songs were by or the stories behind them coz they used to come on the radio in the city I lived in in Nigeria at the time. I never listened to the radio in 1979 but I think my Mum's one had just been fixed so I was testing it. And these songs kept coming on it. It was later that I found out who they were.
Interesting thing about "Rumours" was that they re~recorded the whole album. The only stuff that was kept from the original recordings they did were the drums so every song was played to them. Mick was their click !

Grim....what do you have...."The Personal Life Stories of Music Stars" encyclopedia set....??? :D

How do you always manage to have all the dirty little details right at your fingertips?
Were you a fly in another life? :)

Grim....what do you have...."The Personal Life Stories of Music Stars" encyclopedia set....??? :D

How do you always manage to have all the dirty little details right at your fingertips?
I keep my feet in the mud, my ear to the ground and I pay my spies well.......

I agree with both of those but I also think that it's not so much the opinion that fires some people up as much as the way it's stated.
If, for example, someone said "Man, your Mum/wife/girlfriend/kid is weird looking", they'd only be stating their opinion. But few would just take it like that, even though that's all it is.
And let's face it, Greg does like to be provocative by stating that anything that he doesn't like is shit and I think he knows that most human beings are going to be up in arms about being told that something they like is shit. Even if it's just one person's opinions.
That all said, sometimes, one has to look past the surface where the stuff that fights are made of reside and get to the meat of the point. The issue in this thread isn't whether or not someone who likes aggressive music in general thinks that softer thought out music is crap, but whether or not the documentary did justice to it's title......

Off topic: I personally don't care if Greg likes Fleetwood Mac or not. It's just aggravating to see forum topics derailed by bickering about something completely unrelated to the original post, and then to have to read through pages of replies to find meaningful contributions.

On topic: I agree with you guys that maybe Sound City was as techy as it could have been. I guess you just have to keep in mind that, like others have said, the average person isn't too interested in EQs and signal chains. That being said, this was a musician's movie, and ultimately a statement about the importance of the human element in music. Dave Grohl isn't a gear head by any means and last I checked, he wasn't an engineer. You kind of have to step back and look at it from his perspective as well. I think he took the musician's approach in telling the story of Sound City. Again, it's about the human element and thus focuses on the human beings involved in the studio whether it be the musicians, engineers, studio staff, and so on. All in all, I thought it was very balanced and well done.

As far as Pro Tools being the death of civilization - I didn't get that vibe either. I feel he, and the other interviewees, made it pretty clear that Pro Tools and other digital audio equipment is a great tool for creativity, but sadly, a lot of people abuse it. Trent was an example of someone using digital audio tech to create sounds you couldn't with tape or purely analog gear - encouragement to young musicians to use it to push things forward - not to fix performances or do what they couldn't do in order to fit into the formulaic music factory that's rampant in the major label system today.

All in all, a good watch for anyone who's interested in the history of a unique studio and the future of music. ;)

I went through my teens in the 70's.
I hated & still hate the post Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac (& the way they opened to doors to that entire LA shlock horror era), any era Eagles,
in that decade I hated & still dislike Soft Rock, Country Rock, Adult Oriented Rock, New Romantic, Disco, Jackson Browne style singer/songwriter, anything vaguely related to McCartney, most top 40 etc. all with some minor exceptions like Leonard Cohen & Pavlov's Dog.
I listened to some radio (Double J for the 2nd 1/2 of the decade) but I went to gigs A LOT and was completely into - incongorously or not - rock, pop rock (Slade, T Rex, ACDC, Kiss before their disco period etc), hard rock, 1st phase (pre LWOBHM) metal, punk (British & US), most new wave and whacky stuff like The Residents (pre synths) Pere Ubu, Buddy Holly, Schoenberg etc. In other words nothing that was aimed at an adult or sophisticated audience.
I chose to be a musical snob because I didn't like the other stuff.
My taste has changed a little since those days but I've not excluded what I did like and, largely, have not encompassed what I didn't like.
Nostalgia, (someone else's repackaging of), can have a very deleterious effect on taste.
I like the movie because I liked some of the stuff from that studio, because I like "rock" history and because I liked getting a clue to the technology & working processes of the era that fed me so much music.
The soundtrack demonstrated just how diverse, glorious & horrid music from one place in one time could be.

IRONY! Well, the use of that's as misunderstood as metaphor & analogy.

Off topic: I personally don't care if Greg likes Fleetwood Mac or not. It's just aggravating to see forum topics derailed by bickering about something completely unrelated to the original post, and then to have to read through pages of replies to find meaningful contributions.
That's how conversations work in real life. Stream of thought. Things take their course. I didn't derail the topic. Fleetwood Mac was a big part of that movie. I wish they weren't. Next time I have an opinion I'll run it by you first, and then ignore what you say about it anyway because ultimately you are nothing and I don't care.

I think she got into drugs because she woke up one morning and realized she was practically married to Buckingham. That should turn any girl into a drug addict.
she got into drugs because in the 70's basically all pro musicians were into drugs.
I remember when coke swept the neighborhood.
It was truly great at first until it started costing me 100 bucks a day ...... but then non-stop casual sex came with it so it had its' perks.

That's what's funny to me. People always "attack" me by saying things like my music sucks, or the Ramones suck, or punk rock sucks, or something equally retarded. I don't give a fuck. Why should I?
And that's the thing right there ..... why would anyone get offended because someone else doesn't like the music they like?

Greg and I are friends and I already know that a LOT of stuff that I love is music he hates.

Hell ..... when I get his opinions of mixes on my own stuff I already know he'll absolutely loath my music ...... it's everything he hates.
I don't give the least little shit ..... he'll still give an impartial and useful review of it from sonics to performance.

As for him hating say, Hendrix (who is a particular fave of mine) why would that offend me?
I disagree with him ..... so what? Getting rid of the music people have said they hate right here in this thread would leave pretty much nothing.
Thank god for different tastes ...... without them music would be a single-genre, boring-ass useless artform.

And let me add that personally, I like almost everything .
I like the hell outta Fleetwood mac ..... Tusk is a particularly good album.
But Greg turned me onto the Ramones in detail and guess what? I like the hell outta them.
I also like ELP and ELO and Meshuggah and pretty much everything else ..... haven't liked rap and/or hip hop much but even there I'll occasionally hear something that's cool.

Music is music ...... and I love music.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't even see why this thread went in that direction. I don't think I said anything offensive to anyone. I just don't like Fleetwood Mac and wish their bit in the movie was less. Big fucking deal. Some of these fuckers act like I insulted their mom.

And LT Boob, I do like your music man. It's fun, and funky, and has a lot going on. Good stuff. :)

It's just aggravating to see forum topics derailed by bickering about something completely unrelated to the original post, and then to have to read through pages of replies to find meaningful contributions.
Well, it can be.
But in truth
That's how conversations work in real life. Stream of thought. Things take their course.
. How many times have you been in a group conversation and had it stick to the topic right from the start to the end ? Conversation topics will always be a springboard to other topics. You know, most conversations, like tree branches, go off in directions that weren't obvious at the start.

Sound City was alright, but I wish it was more Mick Fleetwood blowing lines and Stevie Nicks flossing her teeth instead of all that boring gear craps.

Back