So, what are you working on?

I love Neil Young, but I don't see how a tribute band could be any good because most of the sound was just him and how cool he was.

I saw a Grateful Dead coverband the other day...even more boring than the real band. And don't get me started on all the crappy Sublime cover bands around here.

My main problem with cover/tribute bands is they take gigs away from original material bands. Cover bands aren't so bad because they typically play a different style of venue, but tribute bands are pure shit.

lol. yeah. cover bands plays chubby's bar. tribute bands play the viper room.

I went to school with some dudes in a fucky southern rock tribute band.
I forget their name but remember these terrible posters with them crossing their arms looking all mad with the phrase "The south will rise again".
:facepalm: fuckk outta here...

Anyway, what I never understood was how they made so much money gigging.
They said their lowest payers were $200. Either A. they were bs-ing, B. I underestimate the gigging pay scale, or C. people are dumb.
I know some hipster singer/songwriter types that say they barely scrape together $50.
:wtf:

They said their lowest payers were $200. :

Is this supposed to be good money? I haven't put less than $200 in my pocket for a gig in at least 20 years. And I'm talking basic club gigs doing covers.

'Hells Belles' gets 2G+ a night here in Denver. But I suppose chicks doing AC/DC is a novelty sort of thing. And they are actually good. Trying to get an original project together with one of the guitar players.

Cover/tribute bands will always make money because mindless dumbasses will pay to go see them. I don't knock em in that regard, but fuck, if you wanna hear AC/DC just listen to them in the car on the way to seeing an original material band. You can listen to them on the way home too.

Cover/tribute bands will always make money because mindless dumbasses will pay to go see them. I don't knock em in that regard, but fuck, if you wanna hear AC/DC just listen to them in the car on the way to seeing an original material band. You can listen to them on the way home too.
I agree 1000% . I've played and gigged in cover bands since I was 17 (actually my first paid gig, I was 13), so I don't knock it. But I cannot believe the lack of interest in anything original. Well, this explains AI and all that other bullshit.

I agree 1000% . I've played and gigged in cover bands since I was 17 (actually my first paid gig, I was 13), so I don't knock it. But I cannot believe the lack of interest in anything original. Well, this explains AI and all that other bullshit.

Right. I can see the other side though. Many, if not most, original bands are pure shit and they can't play well and don't use good equipment. So I can understand people not wanting to bother with seeing rank amateurs. But hell, most of the best bands in the known universe started that way. You gotta give em a chance.

We had a Black Sabbath tribute band in the 90's. We got $100 a gig each. It was fun but you can only do that for so long, Once the studio was under way we changed gears and started recording originals.

VP

Attachments

• Cork board 015.JPG
    Cork board 015.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 55
We had a Black Sabbath tribute band in the 90's. We got $100 a gig each. It was fun but you can only do that for so long, Once the studio was under way we changed gears and started recording originals.

VP
Well, if you promoted yourselves as well as you promote yourself here, I can see why it didn't work.

What the fuck is that picture supposed to be anyway?

Well, if you promoted yourselves as well as you promote yourself here, I can see why it didn't work.

What the fuck is that picture supposed to be anyway?

The picture was our business card. It did work just fine, tribute bands were very popular then, it was new.

VP

Is this supposed to be good money? I haven't put less than $200 in my pocket for a gig in at least 20 years. And I'm talking basic club gigs doing covers.
It certainly seemed like it at 16 years old :(.
Especially for the joints they played. I'm talking no way 100 people could fit in the lower places.

Idk. I've never gigged. So idk what to expect. My only opportunity was a few years back at a pretty decent sized New Daisy Theater fest. for like $500 for the band.
Were we getting lowballed ? :cursing:
Good thing we broke up, huh :D?

I'm asking you to please stop trolling threads with bad pics and turning everything into a fight. Your post was fine with me. you adding an intentionally terrible pic is how you troll.

I can make whatever comment I want. I'm asking you to please stop trolling threads with bad pics and turning everything into a fight. Your post was fine with me. you adding an intentionally terrible pic is how you troll.

That is the first fuzzy picture I have posted. I already had it in the computer and didnt have time to go to the studio to take another one. You start the fights. I am merely posting my experiences and optinions and you have to make some derogatory post every time.

VP

Back