So, what are you working on?

R

RAMI

...so, what you up to right now? I haven't seen a couple of the regulars around much, and the MP3 Clinic seems to be in a rut lately. Where the hell is Greg? Ido? Supercreep & LPC?

Anyway, I got a new TASCAM us-800 from Jimmy about a month ago, and I can't believe how it's changed the way I work and the ease and speed it gives me. I used to have to record everything into my TASCAM 2488, and then transfer the files into my PC to mix in REAPER. I often hesitated to re-track something because of the steps I had to go through. I probably convinced myself what I already had was good enough on more than one occasion.
Now, it's just press RECORD and there it is.

The ironic thing is, it's actually taking me more time to record now, because I don't settle for something that I might be able to make even just 2% better. Because of that, I'm taking my time and really re-working parts and experimenting, which I wasn't able to do as freely before.

So, now I have 4 songs 90% finished. Before, it would be too much of a hassle to be working on more than one project at a time...too much transfering files, etc....

So, what are you up to? :)

I'm basically doing what you are doing -"because I don't settle for something that I might be able to make even just 2% better". I guess you could call my recording now practicing. Been recording and re-recording bass, drums and guitars for base tracks in different keys. Playing more guitar, learning some covers. Gearing up for returning to recording 'for real' on another ep, with an ear towards much better songwriting, playing, singing, recording and mixing :-)

I've been tracking my cover band. We have access to an industrial building and practice there. I have an old console going in and out of two ADAT LX20's (used as AD/DA converters) through a MOTU into the box. It's been a blast using a big space to track in. I wish I had something worth recording but old Wilson Picket tunes will have to do for now.

I've been in a rut lately (again), but I do have one song going that I like. I'm waiting for contributions from other folk to finish it up.

It's cool you've got the us-800 from jimmy. It's nice to have a solid and easy work flow so you can concentrate more on the creativity side. Not that that has ever been a problem for you....

and next on the shopping list is?????

I'm working on waking up right now.
later on I'll be working on going to sleep ...... maybe a meal and stretching between the two.

I'm working on waking up right now.
later on I'll be working on going to sleep ...... maybe a meal and stretching between the two.

Dude, you can't keep up this crazy life-style forever. You need to slow down before it catches up to you. :D

I'm not in a rut. I just haven't finished anything lately. I've got 5 or 6 songs in various states of completetion. I've been in guitar/amp research and shopping mode for the past few months and have spent a considerable amount of time, money, and energy into getting my rig just right, and just last week I finally got there (I think). Behold the end result of the madness.....
20120421_165536.jpg

20120421_134518.jpg

20120417_170545.jpg

Sounds killer. In addition to all that I've been fine tuning my next album which is almost ready for human consumption/constipation.

Man! I don't care how that sounds, it looks awesome! :D

Beautiful gear, man. Congrats. :cool:

You still going to use Guitar Rig with that set up? Almost seems sacrilegious. :eek:

Man! I don't care how that sounds, it looks awesome! :D

Beautiful gear, man. Congrats. :cool:

You still going to use Guitar Rig with that set up? Almost seems sacrilegious. :eek:

Thanks. I haven't used guitar rig for "keeps" for quite some time now. I use it for ideas, but for the past almost 2 years I've been recording guitars with my buddies JCM 800 at our practice space. I got sick of dragging shit over there for 10 minutes of guitar tracks, so I started thinking about getting my own. I originally wanted to go the small, low-watt route with a 2x12 cab. That didn't work... and two Marshall heads and an additional 4x12 later, here I am with a hot-rodded Marshall 100w monster rig and a new guitar. :D

The 2x12 cab has Vintage 30's in it, the 4x12 has G12T75's. Very different speakers giving very different sounds. All of it loud as shit. :)

I've just started a new project after finishing up an old project. Well the guy I'm doing it with closed one up and started another anyways. Focusing more on some Black Metal. Not something I've ever really been into, but playing any Metal can be fun. Will be my first time going up front with vocals too. Rather than just sitting back with my bass only.

Got various projects of my own in different states too. My sleep seems to be on a nocturnal schedule right now, and with other people in the house with regular sleeping patterns, I've not really been able to make noise. So they could be a while coming. =P

Practicing for a Beatles-themed benefit show with 3 friends.
Preparing for a band audition Tuesday night (Beatles tribute band).
Mixing down a tune for the Neil Young Americana contest.
Started tracking for a new original.
Real life keeps getting in the way of my music, too! ;)

Practicing for a Beatles-themed benefit show with 3 friends.
Cool. That's a good amount of friends to be practicing with for a Beatles show. :D
Beatles...............Beatles
You had me.........
............Neil Young...................
....then you lost me. :laughings:
Started tracking for a new original.
Now you're talking. :cool:
Real life keeps getting in the way of my music, too! ;)
I know. I hate real life. I try to avoid it as much as possible. :D

I've taken about 5 months off recording to do some open mic stuff, Write some new material and try and be a better musician/songwriter

I've got five songs in the works but I started tracking again last week and this is a snippet of what I am currently working on.
http://soundcloud.com/infinite-number-of-chimps/little-boat-snippet

All just raw tracks with some panning to help me figure out the arrangement and I'm planning on tracking the vox and harmonies next week

Last edited:
I haven't been tracking in quite some time. My band Primate House recorded the first half of our album Vomit Rock and now we have to write more tracks which has been taking some time. Its been a pain to mix this album, so many weird issues that you guys have been helping with but I'm still having problems.

School and work have seemed to get a little less hectic lately, so I've finally been able to write some more for my future album! I know some people write a song or two and then record them and then write some more, but I like to write everything first....guess it's a form of OCD :D

Been trying to get my new toy...my MX-80 2" tape deck...overhauled, aligned and installed into the studio rig so I can start using it.
I have several songs in various stages of tracking/editing/mixing...and at least another 5-6 that I just started tracking on, just drums and scratch tracks....so I'm like so behind with the music part as I've been working on the tape deck the last few weeks, but I don't feel bad when I break from the music, if it's because of studio maintenance or new gear and that kind of stuff. It's sometimes a PITA breaking off the music part to deal with gear stuff...but I figure in the long run it's positive thing.

That's about it... :)

I'm working on a handful of stuff at the moment; some fun, some frustrating!

Trying to finish my bands second album. finished the initial tracking at the end of last year and did some initial mixes, only to se that there's some bits that need re-recording and seeing as our singer and his wife have just had a child and our guitarist works up and down the country and doesn't know where he's going until the morning, trying to re-record parts is a nightmare!

Trying to finish my second solo album which is coming together nicely. i've also just gone through a big shopping stage and am still experimenting with bits and pieces.

Working with a female folk duo which is actually really fun. although it's not the first time i've worked with cello, it's the first time where it's a major part of the mix rather than just an added "flavour"

also helping some of my friends set up studios and live rigs.

And, more importantly, i'm waiting for my health to get better so that i can work as hard as i used to

it's the only thread down there that doesn't have a bunch of faggot losers throwing politics and religion at eachother.

Lol, yeah - I've decided I'm not going to get into any of that sort of discussion any more - it's a waste of time and effort - I'm not going to convince anyone over the internet on anything like that, and nor them me. I'm here to learn about recording and mixing audio, so I'm sticking to getting and giving help where I can on that subject.

As for what I'm up to - I bought new gear lately (guitar and amp), so having fun with those. I started recording a new song which is already of a pleasingly better sound quality than my previous efforts. I need to get more disciplined in finishing writing and having more idea of arrangement before I start recording. But, each time I write a bit of a song, I kind of get excited about it (I think ideas that come out of me do get better with practice) and want to start on it straight away - I've got about 10 half written songs that I'm yet to get round to.

I'm also preparing for our first baby due later this year, so time is a little more pressed than before (and will be for the rest of my life!) - currently sanding and repainting a second hand cot we picked up. Also took delivery of some Rocksilk I'm going to use for room treatment, so have to find some cheap/free wood and time to build those.

Back