So, what are you working on?

I switched to IZ RADAR and bought a bunch of Kurzweil and Roland sound modules. I also replaced my guitars with a Gibson J-45 Deluxe (1978) and a Martin D28-12 string (1973). Bought a bunch of mics (Senn 441, EV RE20 standing out). Bought some extra Lexicon PCM 60,70,80s for chuckles.

Got a big bag of old master cassette tapes from various live events throughout the 90s out of storage. My Sony dual deck still works great and with a bit of head alignment things sound surprisingly clear.

Got a big bag of old master cassette tapes from various live events throughout the 90s out of storage. My Sony dual deck still works great and with a bit of head alignment things sound surprisingly clear.

So I'm up at my local solid waste station...I go there every few weeks to get rid of recyclables (newspapers, magazines, cardboard, plastics, metals, etc...)...and as I'm dumping some plastics into the bin, some guy who was there also tossing stuff asks me if I still listen to cassettes and if I wanted any (he had a couple of bags full).

:D

I smiled and said no thanks...and suggested he ask some 18-year old just to see if they even knew what they were.
He laughed, and said they probably wouldn't. He even tried giving them away at goodwill and they didn't even want them.

I still have a bunch of cassettes from back in the early 80's when I was putting everything down on cassette for listening and for the car, but I never listen to that stuff any more, even though I have a decent player in my studio. Only once in awhile when I'm looking for some old stuff and can't remember the key or arrangements I used.

I still have a bunch of cassettes from back in the early 80's when I was putting everything down on cassette for listening and for the car, but I never listen to that stuff any more, even though I have a decent player in my studio. Only once in awhile when I'm looking for some old stuff and can't remember the key or arrangements I used.

I've got about a half-milkcrate full still in my basement. Mostly things I haven't been able to replace digitally.
Some live tapes of defunct local bands, and alot of my own four-track recordings from the 90s. Listened to a few of them recently and was a little surprised at how godawful they sound, and it's sadly not the cassette's fault.

Loading everything into my new computer. ALl my music files were safely backed up, but I've got to install/download all the software again.

I still have a bunch of cassettes from back in the early 80's when I was putting everything down on cassette for listening and for the car, but I never listen to that stuff any more,
It's all I listen to.
I wonder what I'll do the day the govt outlaws cassettes.........:D

So I moved about a month ago into a real house (so I can crank the amps now)! The room I record is slightly rounded at the top and sounds really good to me (I don't know if the rounding makes any difference, or if the room is just better). After we moved I went on vacation to Costa Rica for a couple weeks.

So, this was my first chance to record today...tons of fun, loud guitars, lots of noise.

I'm working on a really cool song with some neat key changes and solos. I'm excited...maybe I'll post post a work in progress tomorrow.

I've been working on a few things the last few weeks. As usual, the industry here begs one to diversify so I have my hands in many pies. Things have been quite good lately, though, and despite being very busy, things are positive.

At the moment I've got two singles on national radio, one for a hip hop artist and one for my [ex-] band, and I'm working on a third. The hip hop single - my first foray into hip hop - got to number eight on their listener-driven top 10 and my bands' got to number 3. Now it's time to do follow up singles so that's where I'm at with "my own stuff".

Meanwhile, I'm mixing a folky, Cat Stevens-with-an-Indian-twist-type record but since I've now got my home studio set up, I don't have to leave the house to work, which is saving me tons of money in gas (my studio is 16 miles away). I've just been getting the rough mixes going using mix templates I made from the first three songs and they've been working really well, barring some minor tweaks. Then, I'm going to take them to the studio and do the final tweaking there, implementing my nice converters and summing for the final polish.

I've also been writing for some local audio publications here (Muse Magazine Online and www.pro-systems.co.za) and this month they kept me really busy with like eight articles but that's fine by me because I get to check out cool new gear like the A&H GLD-80. Anyone checked out that console yet? It's pretty impressive.

THEN, come next week, I'll be the traveling local tech for a few international acts performing at a festival here called Oppikoppi (which means, loosely, "on the hill top") so I'll be working with the likes of Seether, Eagles of Death Metal, Bullet For My Valentine, and Enter Shikari. That should be fun as we're hitting three cities and doing it cushy touring style. Woo hoo for per diems!

THEEEEEN, I've got an EP to record the week of the 13th, which I'm looking forward to as a "break". Nothing like a bit of rock and roll to take the load off. The band is actually pretty good with a strong vocalist (for a change) so hopefully we can get some good sounds and get them some radio play.

That's me for most of August. Let's hope it keeps on rolling.

Cheers :)

Ha ha, all my loafing happens before the day hits. When you've got a one year old, you're up at the crack of dawn, not the crack of ten.

Cheers :)

I'm working on getting my ass a new job...... I took a risk and hooked up with a startup that went under so now im in kind of a predicament..

I'm working on getting my ass a new job...... I took a risk and hooked up with a startup that went under so now im in kind of a predicament..

F*-me. Good luck. You just bought a house, didn't ya? Hope it all works out for ya!!!

I just finished mixing a CD for a member here. I also play drums on them all. Bass as well on a few others, but not this one.

Last edited:
Back