REAPER update to 5.0

You just set up an empty track and send tracks to it. Like you use four drums tracks, you can send them to another track for leveling and processing across the entire kit. I'm sure there's some fancy nanosecond saving shortcut keystroke for it, but I just click the "io" button and send the tracks to an empty track.

So WTF are folders?

You just set up an empty track and send tracks to it. Like you use four drums tracks, you can send them to another track for leveling and processing across the entire kit. I'm sure there's some fancy nanosecond saving shortcut keystroke for it, but I just click the "io" button and send the tracks to an empty track.
Oh, like a regular effects end? OK, never thought of that.

So WTF are folders?
When I set up a drum folder, I have my main track that I call "DRUMS", and then you click the little "folder" icon that looks like a brown paper folder. Then, on the last drum track, you click the same folder button twice until it turns red. All the tracks between the main drum track and the last drum track are now part of the same folder.

I swear that it just took me about 10 times longer to explain that than it takes to actually do it. It's the quickest, simplest thing, but harder to explain.

Oh, like a regular effects end? OK, never thought of that.
Yes, that's basically how I do it. Like an effects track, but you can turn off the individual tracks output so they only go through group track. Or you leave them on and blend the individual tracks with the effects/group track. My way is probably a retarded way to do it, but that's just how I've always done it. I don't even know if that's technically "grouping" but whatever. It works great for drums.

When I set up a drum folder, I have my main track that I call "DRUMS", and then you click the little "folder" icon that looks like a brown paper folder. Then, on the last drum track, you click the same folder button twice until it turns red. All the tracks between the main drum track and the last drum track are now part of the same folder.
Weird. I've never heard of this. Okay, so then what happens?

Weird. I've never heard of this. Okay, so then what happens?

Not much different than what you do. It puts them in a "group". Probably just a different way to do the same thing. The one thing that I like is that I can hit the "Folder" on the main DRUM track and it will hide all the sub-tracks, so that I only see one DRUM track if I don't need to have 8 drum tracks taking up my whole mixer view.

Not much different than what you do. It puts them in a "group". Probably just a different way to do the same thing. The one thing that I like is that I can hit the "Folder" on the main DRUM track and it will hide all the sub-tracks, so that I only see one DRUM track if I don't need to have 8 drum tracks taking up my whole mixer view.

Does everything play through the folder track? Or are the individual tracks blended in with the folder track?

It should be a sub-mix. When I use it, I mix to the top level track, and put the mix FX's on the top track, then use the master volume of the folder/group for the rest of the mix.

Does everything play through the folder track? Or are the individual tracks blended in with the folder track?
Not sure I know what you're asking. I think DM answered it.

I can put effects on each track individually, and control each track's volume. I can also put a global effect on the main track and control the overall volume of the drums with the main track's fader.

I'm talking about SEND effects as well as inserts. I can send from each individual track, as well as from the main track.

Greg: If I understand what you're asking, then yes every track that's a member of a folder plays through that folder. So if you include all of your drum tracks in a folder, you can control the volume of the entire drum kit with the folder track's fader. You can get the balance right with the individual tracks' faders, then use the folder fader to set the kit volume as a whole.

Folders are great for the ability to collapse them and hide their contents on the tracking window, like RAMI mentioned. It helps de-clutter the view for me.

I use folders for drums, doubled guitars, doubled vocals...pretty much any ensemble that can be treated as one unit.

A question for the "folder people": do you change the track layout in the mixer for folders? I would set them to "large" so I could visually differentiate them from other tracks in the mixer. But the new version 5 theme doesn't make "large" tracks very much larger than regular tracks. At a glance, I can barely tell them apart from the tracks they contain. Is there a handy way that you make your folders look different in the mixer view?

I use folders for drums, doubled guitars, doubled vocals...pretty much any ensemble that can be treated as one unit.
Yes, I have a "Drum", "Vocals" and "Guitar" folder 99% of the time.

A question for the "folder people": do you change the track layout in the mixer for folders? I would set them to "large" so I could visually differentiate them from other tracks in the mixer. But the new version 5 theme doesn't make "large" tracks very much larger than regular tracks. At a glance, I can barely tell them apart from the tracks they contain. Is there a handy way that you make your folders look different in the mixer view?
I use colors. Red drums, blue bass, green guitars, and yellow vocals. :D

Everything assigned to the folder track goes through the folder dude....In the track control (at the top where the waveforms are), click on the track you want to be a folder, & click twice on the last track...This is how I set up all my tracks going by instrument: vocals, guitars, drums, etc...

Track control panel:

Mixer panel:

You have to assign 'em in the track control panel though, I just posted the pic so you could see how it looks in the mixer...

Folders are great I think, because you can mute all the guitars for example, & if you use any effects on tracks, it'll apply 'em to all the tracks in the folder...

I use colors for my group tracks. But nothing's hidden. I just skim for a color when wanting to mess with a group.

Everything assigned to the folder track goes through the folder dude....In the track control (at the top where the waveforms are), click on the track you want to be a folder, & click twice on the last track...This is how I set up all my tracks going by instrument: vocals, guitars, drums, etc...

Track control panel:

Mixer panel:

You have to assign 'em in the track control panel though, I just posted the pic so you could see how it looks in the mixer...

Folders are great I think, because you can mute all the guitars for example, & if you use any effects on tracks, it'll apply 'em to all the tracks in the folder...

I don't use that "theme" so I'm gonna have to check mine to see what it looks like. I use the same 2.0 theme I've always used.

I use colors for my group tracks. But nothing's hidden. I just skim for a color when wanting to mess with a group.
Here's my mixer, I had to use 2 pics so it'd fit:

This theme is called "Blackmore", it's in the stash at the Reaper site...I customized it a little, but I think it looks much better than the default, which makes it easier for me to use. I still use "my" theme too, but lately it's been this one...I honestly can't stand the default theme...

Rami: This is just how I've always did my mixes dude, the reason the guitars are blue is because that's my favorite color, so naturally the guitars have to be blue...:D.

Lol. Holy shit that's a lot of tracks.
You should see one of my songs when I get all the tracks in it dude....:laughings:.

Most of 'em are my fake drums, I always have each track in the drum vsti have it's own track in the mixer, just like a real kit. This is the same setup that you actually bragged to me about sounding real :eek: a few months ago dude, exact same setup...:).

I have all these fake drums & reverbs saved to a track template so I can just load 'em up, same with my guitar tracks, I have templates for my di/amp'd tracks...

And I know I keep on sayin' this, but this is what I really like about Reaper, you can customize it to fit about what you want...

Back