REAPER update to 5.0

Because I got a licence with Reaper 3, I got a message saying my licence had expired when I installed and loaded 5. I forked out $60 (which is something like $AUS80) and, as others have said, the nag screen goes away. Everything else stays happily as it was.
I started on 2 so my license expired when 4 came out. I suppose it's time to jump version and upgrade through 5 & 6. :D

Of course they went and dropped this at the beginning of my annual week long camping trip, so I don't get to play with any of it for a bit. If I'd really wanted it, I could have jumped into the pre-release I guess.

Sample-accurate automation is only marginally useful for most of the things we automate normally, but it does open up a bunch of possibilities for abuse.

I usually update because I get a notification. But, to be honest, I almost never even know what the hell is different. I just update and continue working the same way I always have.

The only change I can say I remember noticing is, like I said, you can't just right click on a track any more and show/hide it from the mixer. You have to go into the Track Manager. Why they got rid of something like that is beyond me.

Just curious, what are some of your specs on your computers you guys are using???

Being a computer geek, I'm always down with talking specs :D

Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-4770k @ 3.4GHz
16 GB RAM (although now I could go to 32 GB since I recently went to the Pro version of Windows...Win7 Home had a 16GB limit)
250 GB SSD system drive
2 x 1TB HDD data drives
RME Fireface UCX interface

This system is a monster...excellent latency, lots of horsepower for VSTs, enough RAM for lots of VSTi libraries, and a good amount of storage. It's been very stable as well, although Win10 is new enough that the jury is still out. No issues with it thus far.

Being a computer geek, I'm always down with talking specs :D

Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-4770k @ 3.4GHz
16 GB RAM (although now I could go to 32 GB since I recently went to the Pro version of Windows...Win7 Home had a 16GB limit)
250 GB SSD system drive
2 x 1TB HDD data drives
RME Fireface UCX interface

This system is a monster...excellent latency, lots of horsepower for VSTs, enough RAM for lots of VSTi libraries, and a good amount of storage. It's been very stable as well, although Win10 is new enough that the jury is still out. No issues with it thus far.
Nice man, I wanted an i7 when I got this pc, but couldn't swing the $$$ (the one I had picked out was $1700, I paid about $1000 for this one, including the 1tb Seagate Barracuda hdd I installed for my audio tracks)...I had done my homework at that time & felt like this pc would do about anything I needed, & so far it pretty much has. Of course, it'd be nice to have an i7, but again, the only limit I've really hit with this thing has been with RAM, not CPU, & only because I was using the 32-bit version of Reaper...

Time will tell whether it can handle it or not, the last little while I have made some monster drum templates using Superior & Kontakt combined...:D.
I know I'll eventually have to upgrade again, but I'm gonna try to squeeze everything I can out of this pc....:).

That is what I really like about Reaper, the software itself has a low hardware requirement.

Here's a Reaper 5 highlights guide, basically showing what's new...This was easier/faster for me to use than the regular guide...YMMV....

Reaper 5 Highlights Guide

So far, I like the new version (I know I've said this a bunch of times already), everything seems to be running smoothly....

Awesome guide. Lots of great info in there and screenshots too. Thanks for posting!

I'm a little afraid to upgrade at this point as I've read some people posting about trouble. I just switched back to Reaper from Studio One and I don't want to interrupt my projects.

Awesome guide. Lots of great info in there and screenshots too. Thanks for posting!

I'm a little afraid to upgrade at this point as I've read some people posting about trouble. I just switched back to Reaper from Studio One and I don't want to interrupt my projects.

The upgrade itself is seamless. It's no different to going from, say, 4.77 to 4.78.

I installed 5 last night - after tweaking a couple of mixes in the old version. First thing I did was just change the GUI back to 4.x classic, its what I'm used to. :D

One changed thing I noticed last night is that there's a 'kill all automation' button near the transport controls. Can't imagine every using that.

Everything's going pretty smooth still yet for me with the update...I even learned to make some custom toolbars for a few actions I use quite a bit, which I could've done that with the old version, I'd just never tried...

Everything's going pretty smooth still yet for me with the update...I even learned to make some custom toolbars for a few actions I use quite a bit, which I could've done that with the old version, I'd just never tried...

Have you seen the Kenny Gioa video's on the main Download page?,,, Very handy!! :guitar:

I haven't fucked with it too much. I probably don't know 90% of what REAPER does. But I don't want to spend hours learning shit that has nothing to do with how my music will sound. I have a good workflow now, I don't need anything more. Like I said, I'd be happy with REAPER 4.0. Other than fixing bugs or whatever, the rest is just fluff to me.

Back