Post your latest purchase!

Rosewood?!
That means an original right?

It's allegedly a '64 and the number on the neck seems to corroborate, but I've always had this weird suspicion the body is from a different year. Also it's had a bunch of stuff replaced and been refinished/painted a bunch of times, most recently by me.

Love it tho!

I have been thinking about a pretty important purchase lately though.
My current computer sucks.
It doesn't cut it anymore. Too many BSODs. Too many months trying to sort it out.
At first I thought I'd get a Mac Pro. Then I thought a little Macbook pro 13" would work.
Then I though maybe an iMac AND a little macbook air.

But now I'm thinking my best decision would be to go for one of those new Macbook Pro retina displays.
15", 2.6GHz Quad i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB Flash memory...
I figure, via HDMI to a external monitor in "clamshell mode" it would make a good "studio desktop" especially since it's spec'd pretty heavily, right?
And it would also be fairly portable. So I wouldn't have to transfer files back and forth. And my spontaneous music creation bug wouldnt be limited by "I dont really want to go in there right now".
The display would be good for all my video and photo making hobbies...
My concern though is my sample drive would probably need to be external. Thunderbolt would be pretty fast though I suppose...

I'm rambling because this would be the biggest purchase of my life and I'm scared. Hold me.

I'm scared. Hold me.

Only if you hold me :D

Yeah, it's a scary move. i remember my first foray into buying a macbook which, at the time, cost more than my car! like you, i reasoned and argued with myself; i wanted to make sure that, if i was gonna spend that much money, that it was gonna be the best possible decision. it was also my first laptop and kept weighing up the pro's and con's against simply replacing my desktop. in the end, with shaking hands, i took a deep breath, gave the nice man at the store my debit card, and hoped i was making the right choice. I couldn't have been happier :) After 5 years and a lot of abuse my macbook white was on its last legs and, somehow, replacing it was even harder; mainly because apple kept releasing more and more updated versions and i wanted the best "bang for buck" macbook i could get. i also very seriously considered one of the newer i5 macbook airs as the weight was a big issue for me (i have some serious back problems and the lighter, the better). in the end, after months and months of umming and ahhing i ended up with a MBP 13inch 2.4Ghz i5, 4GB ram, 500gb HD, and never looked back. it's much lighter than my old white was, it's more than powerful enough for me to thoroughly abuse Logic (tracks that bought my white to it's knees barely even bother my MBP), and it's the centre of my studio setup.

it's a scary move man, but it's one that i've now done twice and have never regretted it, not even for a second.

I figure, via HDMI to a external monitor in "clamshell mode" it would make a good "studio desktop" especially since it's spec'd pretty heavily, right?

This is what I do, except with the model before retina display.

I really thought I'd end up buying a mac mini or imac, but I've been happy enough.
I have the little i5 2.3ghz model and it it's tip top. :)

Whatever you buy, put an SSD in it for the system drive. You won't regret it.
I actually ditched the optical drive and fitted a second SSD for sessions.
No need for an external now. Perfect!

And with 'target disc mode', you MBP IS an external drive if you need to shift stuff elsewhere.

Thanks for the macbook encouragement!

I think if I'll be spending that much, I might as well max spec it.
a 768GB ssd (flash drive... same thing right?) to handle my programs and main libraries (komplete 8 ultimate. ftw.)
only upgrade i'm iffy about is going from the 2.6 i7 to the 2.7 i7. not sure if the $225 is justified for the .1 jump in speed :confused:

Finaly found the PRS CE-22 guitar I've been after for years.A 2001 with maple neck and 'Wide Thin' neck profile that the company discontinued in that year.It's used with a few scratches and dings but it sounds great and plays like hot melted butter on a super model,...or something like that.

Guitars 002.JPG

Finaly found the PRS CE-22 guitar I've been after for years.A 2001 with maple neck and 'Wide Thin' neck profile that the company discontinued in that year.It's used with a few scratches and dings but it sounds great and plays like hot melted butter on a super model,...or something like that.

View attachment 75521

Nice!

Some of the first music videos I remember seeing (EVER!) were Linkin Park.
So, PRS's have always been associated with happiness for me, and I'm usually always watching some on eBay. Even though I never buy them.
One day though, one day.

Well, as of this morning my new laptop for sound work has arrived--I've spent the afternoon installing stuff and optimising it for for sound.

I stuck with Windows--I'm too old to learn my way around the Mac OS.

The new computer has Windows 7 Professional, an i7 processor, 16 gig ram, 500GB 7200rpm HDD (I use external drives for actual tracking), etc. etc.

Compared to my old lap top it seems blindingly fast on the tests I've done (and I haven't finished optimising for sound yet either.

Yeah, it cost too much but what the heck.

Lenovo T530. I've had a Lenovo before and it was really good--the old machine still runs fine except the battery life is measured in seconds and the processor is an antique. They build them to order and allow a fair bit of customisation--the only lack was a Firewire port but it has an Express Card slot and I've ordered the necessary (with TI chipset) to plug in there.

Back