Post your latest purchase!

And dual mono = louder.

Speaking of that...I was wondering the other day--

if you take a mono track, such as me speaking at the same volume, and copy it (with the copy also being at the same volume), and play both back...does the volume double exactly? Or it there some kind of formula to it to determine the increase of the volume?

if you take a mono track, such as me speaking at the same volume, and copy it (with the copy also being at the same volume), and play both back...does the volume double exactly? Or it there some kind of formula to it to determine the increase of the volume?

Approximately 6.02dB per doubling of the same signal.

Stay off topic will ya? There's plenty of places you can ask yer damn technical questions.... :laughings:

It's an easy calculation:

Lava-Math.jpg

Where L[sub]A[/sub] is the first lava lamp and L[sub]B[/sub] is the second.

Well see I was actually going off-topic to the off-topicness so really....YOU NEED TO GET ON MY LEVEL! :D

OK but if you play them back at the same level and invert the phase of one you get 100% volume reduction, so don't make that noobie error....:eek:

Well, guys, I bought my Macbook today.
Retina, 15", 16GB RAM, 768GB SSD.
I feel really weird. Like I should've bought a house instead or something.

Naw. JK. I feel relieved to have finally made the jump to find out what it's all about.

I feel like my dad would probably react better to being told I've impregnated a 30 year old stripper than he'll react to being told how much money i'm spending on this thing.

Can't wait till this thing comes out: Thunderbolt Express Dock | Belkin USA Site
I'm gonna need the expansion!

Welcome to the dark side man....

mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! :D

That thunderbolt expansion looks INCREDIBLE! i was looking for a while at just firewire to thunderbolt adaptors (when i was contemplating getting a Macbook Air over the MBP) and reading the full facts about thunderbolt blew my mind. i wish i made more of my thunderbolt port other than just using it to connect to external screens/projectors and something like that hub would certainly help ;) What d'you reckon the price will be???

Welcome to the dark side man....

mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! :D

That thunderbolt expansion looks INCREDIBLE! i was looking for a while at just firewire to thunderbolt adaptors (when i was contemplating getting a Macbook Air over the MBP) and reading the full facts about thunderbolt blew my mind. i wish i made more of my thunderbolt port other than just using it to connect to external screens/projectors and something like that hub would certainly help ;) What d'you reckon the price will be???

They first announced it for $299 but seem to have upped the price to $399 :(

Thunderbolt is one of the first things that got me interested in the mac world. I first heard about it when Universal Audio announced their Apollo line with Thunderbolt capabilities and I was like "wtf is 'thunderbolt? sounds like a stupid marketing technique. I'll never buy a mac.'"
:D

They first announced it for $299 but seem to have upped the price to $399 :(

Ahh man, that means about £250 - £300 :(

tbf, i wasn't that fussed until i started looking at replacing my old macbook white. As they didn't do a kind of "midrange" between the air and the pro anymore i needed firewire, but wanted the air because of the size and weight. in the end i went with the pro as i felt i couldn't justify the same price for an air with a smaller HD (albeit awesome SSD), slower processor and no firewire. Plus, the new MBP is much lighter than my old white was anyway. The Apollo does look incredible but i'm really not sure how much thunderbolt will pick up with cheaper AI manufacturers. it makes sense if and when apple finally drop firewire support (which i hope isn't any time soon!) but i can't imagine seeing many thunderbolt interfaces for a while. Saying that, the thunderbolt external HD's look awesome and, if they're as stable as they should be, means being able to run sessions etc straight to and from one!

I have a powerful musical talent in my head, but lack the knowledge and experience necessary to produce my music. I plan on buying a good music making program someday to bring out that talent.

I might look into one of those thunderbolt expansions myself, since I manually dock my laptop as my main computer.

You know you can get PCI-e thunderbolt expansion cases?
They cost a lot of money, but I guess that's a big winner for PT HD guys and that kind of thing.
Even just to add on a mental pcie graphics card or whatever.

Changing topic, I just bought a Blackstar HT1.
My first guitar amp was a Marshall v8080 which served light use for about 12 years. This is my second.

Can't wait to get it. :)

I might look into one of those thunderbolt expansions myself, since I manually dock my laptop as my main computer.

They cost a lot of money, but I guess that's a big winner for PT HD guys and that kind of thing.

Changing topic, I just bought a Blackstar HT1.
My first guitar amp was a Marshall v8080 which served light use for about 12 years. This is my second.

Can't wait to get it. :)

I have a broken v8080 my dad gave me (we didn't know it was broken until I got it home) - I've been told it'd cost around £150 to fix, but I don't know if it's worth it.

I did not know this existed! i wish i had when i had the opportunity to pick up a UAD PCIe card for next to nothing but had to say no as my MBP doesn't have the slot. This opens up a whole new world of opportunities :)

My boss picked up the Blackstar HT-1RH head (and possibly the cab, i can't remember) a couple of months back and loves the thing. I look forward to hearing the results once you've had the chance :thumbs up:

I have a broken v8080 my dad gave me (we didn't know it was broken until I got it home) - I've been told it'd cost around £150 to fix, but I don't know if it's worth it.

£150 seems a bit much. I bought mine for £200 all those years ago, and sold it for £80 this year.

What could be wrong with it for that kind of repair cost?
What are the symptoms?
Worth a DIY q+a thread?

Duno if you've been in for a look, but it's very easy to inspect that amp.
4 or 6 screws on the top and the whole tray just falls out.
Remember to unhook the speaker first. ;)

Back