Please Mix This - A Challenge (really, very challenging)

Hahahaha...it was a literal typo...my right index finger is kinda' fucked up, and it just throws extra H's in sometimes... Your comments come later, young man. :D

wrong file uploaded changed now

Oops, The original file I uploaded was the one that was a first rejects:o

the one I did without all that verb and some movement of the steel is up there now.

Juliet mixed by wfaraoni

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1644&alid=-1

I have no idea how some guys get all that volume, it must be

talent!

Sorry for the mixup

But its worth the download
Easily, the best mix posted yet!!! You just gotta understand country to do it well :D LMAO

Peace
Bill

Last edited:
Alright , Chris.

The git's for mix two, i really tried some different stuff!!!! Very cool that you noticed!

I took git 1 and git 2 and converted each to a "unique copy", so i had 4 git track's.

took the original 1 and 2 , verbed, compressed and EQ'ed them, with the same settings.

left the copys "as is". panned the original's with the adjustment's out to 100% on each side.

I took the copys and matched them up to their counterpart's, and slipped them a little in time.

After i slipped them , i panned the copys with their opposite to about 33% each side. So i actually had track one panned left with track two's counterpart, yet with different eq's.

This had an Overlap effect. Does any of this make sense?:D

I have a real hard time explaining this stuff. I'm gonna post some pic's of the verb and eq setting's used (not preset's). I used the same compressor setting as i did for mix 1(pic on page 3) i think?

After i compressed and verbed the track's, it really shoot's the waveform through the roof! So i do a 6db cut before it goes back into the multitrack. It shave's off all of the peak's, and i mean flat!!! I'll post a pic of that too!

I read your response about cep crashing. That is exactly what happened!!!!! It said some shit like " not enough hard drive space, would you like to make room? or something, I chose yes, and it crashed!!!!! :confused: I'll ask more about this in the CEP forum.

Final "guitar" waveform after compression, reverb, EQ and a 6db cut!:eek:

Attachments

• git final waveform.jpg
    git final waveform.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Shall we continue?

BLEY OF RAD....... Seem's bass heavy, drown's out the vox in spot's. you went all out too, nice!!!!!!!!!

Grouch O'Malley........... Git's seem a "tad thin". Dig the spread and level's of the harmonies!

INDEPENDENTCARY............ bass heavy, that's all i have!!!!:D :confused: Nice!

RIDEROFMOONS.............. Again, bass heavy:confused: , vox are buried a little to much, slide and steel are off.(chris's fault!)

COMMANDERBOB............... Slide and steel seem off, again(chis's fault!) But they sound sweet!!!!!!! i got nada!

AL BISH SLAPPED ME............. Nice bass!!!!!! Don't like the verb you used on the vox(sound's like a chorus effect in there too)?:confused: bass work's well with that kick! nice!!!!!!

MESHMAN.............. Yeah, ok!!!!!! you win!!!!!!!!! Cheater!!!!!!!!:D Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!! This is a super nice mix!!! (mix3) no complaint's from me what so ever!!!!!

PSYCOHARRIS................. dude!!!!!!!!!! (headphone mix) I think it's cool as hell!!!!!!!! Very nice imaging and use of effect's, you have a vivid imagination, man!!!!!!! (or just a sick one):D
OOP's........almost forgot!!!!!!!! PRICK!!!!!!!!:D

DOUGOFREALESTATE............. I got nothing, this mix has to win for imagination!!!!!!!!!! Nice use of what you had! very bluegrassy, luv it!!!!!!!!

FARAONI OF W................... Some clipping going on, and lot's of comp pump:confused: Or something?? muffled sounding, i think you pulled a Chris Harris on this one, and overproduced it!:D ;)

PINKY AND THE MBRANE............. No complaints, everything has it's own space, nothing is overpowering! NICE!!!!! bass sound's great!

Ok, i'm noticing the use of the term "bass heavy" alot!!!!!! more than anything! What i want to know, is anyone else hearing this on the mixes i deemed this? I'm thinking about these mixes in the context of translation to different system's......car audio, ect...
I just don't know!:confused:

Again guy's, this is what "I'm" hearing, i thought i would put my thought's in text for reference. EVERYONE had their strenghts!

And it's really cool to hear the levels of each instrument, and vox in each mix!!! So many style's and preferences! AWESOME!

Thank's to ALL participant's!!!!!!! you have taught me something!

maybe you CAN polish a "Harris"

:D

Hey Rick...man, thanks for posting that. It figures that the guitar sound I like the best is just absolutely compressed to within a nanometer of death, lmao.

Honestly, I don't know if it was the offsets or the compression or the EQ or the combination, but I really REALLY like the treatment of the guitars on that mix. There is a level thing that seems off to me (with the slide)...does it seem kinda' hot to you?

LOL!

I now have a folder with 22 versions of the same song, and I'm not even sure I got 'em all!:eek:

Thanks for the link list back there Meshuggah. Saved me a lot of scrolling!:cool:

Be back later with/for comments.

Thanks FLG. Didn't spend much time on it. Kinda mix & run, if you know what I mean.:D

3rd try

I went through the mix and toned it down both compression wise and found a few spikes which might have been clipping and made corrections by using precise volume envelopes. there is a pop at :32 " face"which I cant track down but and its not clipping there, anyway Hopefully this is better. Actually I could not hear any clipping before but thats probably my bad ears.

If anyone has not downloaded this one yet let me know if you hear any clipping when you do. A new replacement file posted at the same place 6/ 23/ 03 @ 1 am central time.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1644&alid=-1

Im learning a lot here.

BIG Question..... how do some folks get about 25% more volume without clipping. There are several posts which really pack some punch like messuggah's, sluices.????

I know that I should already know this but unfortunately :o I don't!

Any tricks / tips are appreciated.

Ive been homerecording for just over a year now and though Im making progress I realize, that theres a lot of learning to do.

This JULIET experience has been a real eye opener and tells me that its not only the raw material but the recording/mixing skills that make those stellar productions.

Bill

Last edited:
Re: 3rd try

wfaraoni said:

BIG Question..... how do some folks get about 25% more volume without clipping.

Bill
Hey Bill...I'm downloading it now, but I might have at least a partial answer to your question. The volume increase after a straight mixdown is accomplished (usually) by some kind of limiter...it's just a compressor with a super fast attack and release, with an output "ceiling" below 0db. If you use some kind of a hard limiter, you can determine that amount of gain you want to add to the mix, while still keeping it from clipping...On extreme settings, you could literally make everything in the mix the same volume, and that volume would be -.1db or something.

Here's a picture of the back half of your mix in my wave editor. As you can see, nothing is going over -1db, so no clipping, but it looks like you've got some headroom left if it weren't for those spikes...so just eyeballing it, I'd say it could take about 4db of input gain without getting too weird...I'll post the pic of that so you can see how it shears off music, lol...

Attachments

• wfaroni-mix-picps.jpg
    wfaroni-mix-picps.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 147
Here's your mix after "Hard Limiting" with an input gain of 4db and a ceiling of -.5db...(I like to be safe, lol). You really shouldn't limit all the way up to 0db, even though some say you can, b/c of the variations in different systems...most meters used by amateurs (like my software meters) are set a little hot anyway to keep people from going over -.3 (notice the decimal) - Glass Masters are apparently never supposed to be over -.3db, at least ... that's what I've read, but the new AudioSlave CD I got is totally clipped all over the place, with distorted drums on every track, and in addition to hitting my meters an average of 10db louder than any other commercial CD I have, it sounds like absolute shit....so don't go overboard, lol.

I take it you're not recording with a computer?

limited pic....

Attachments

• wfaroni-mix-pic-limitedps.jpg
    wfaroni-mix-pic-limitedps.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 141
PS - Your mix is distorting pretty badly on my system...The regular mix, not my limited one (well, that one's distorting too, obviously)...sounds like it definitely clipped somewhere. It's not making that horrible digital clipping noise; more like overall clipping or some problem with a conversion somewhere.

We gotta' figure this out...'splain your setup, sir ! :D

Chrisharris, Yup, I'M on a computer and Im using Sonar 2xl, and when I use the limiter, (timeworks), EVEN I, LOL , can hear the distortion. Sounds like its squaring off any loud points. Maybe I should use it more sparingly.
Guess Im Gonna have to ask someone who's using the same program thats more experienced what a typical safe starting setting point would be.

Boy, I wish I had ears!!

thanks for real Cool demo anyway

I understand compression and limiting but just cant seem to apply it as needed :(

Hey, You really don't sleep do you :D ;)

peace
Bill

Re: LOL!

M.Brane said:
Chris, your drum programming sucks ass
Yeah, I know... (okay, I misquoted you) - but DAMN NICE JOB, man.

You definitely have to post what you did to the guitars - Is that a chorus on one of them?

...and hell, even the drums sound better??? How is that? Am I high? (no) -

I'm not crazy about the vocal effect at the very beginning, but when the drums come in, it fits nicely...it's just more noticeably effected at the beginning I guess.

Dude, please explain EXACTLY what you did, and don't use phrases like "I used the Aux Bus to delay the verb on the right," lmao.

The thing that does stick out in some mixes (to me) is the lack of HUGE AMBIENT REVERB on those falsetto backups...lol.. Like at 1:40, where I sound like a dog whistle... I verbed the SHIT out of that on my mixes, lol...but I guess it doesn't sound weird without it? To me, it sounds odd, but I sang it, so... :D

Dude, I'm in "edit" mode at this point, but this is a really nice mix.

Back