Play two instruments at once? Not in this day and age.

Seriously John, I am only trying to help. That is why I am here.

When someone comes to the forum saying things that are not true, I try to help in any way I can to show you why. You chose not to listen to what I or other members have explained to you. That is why I called you a troll. If I tagged you wrongly, then prove it by listening to the responses you have been given. You have been mislead or at least, given poor direction as to how Cubase works. This is not a difficult task that you claim is not possible. In fact, it is one of the easier things to do. Just a matter of knowing how Cubase functions.

Now, off to watch the game.

Best to you Mr. Jones. :)

Okay, here are some screenshots....

Create two midi tracks

View attachment 84902

Add two VSTi's I used Ezdrummer and an Ensoniq SQ8
View attachment 84903

Assign each midi track to a VSTi

View attachment 84904

Press Record on both midi tracks...

Voila....

Is Jimmy an Irish name btw?
Anyway. I will try pressing the record button.

The screenshots you show look as though they are from Terminator -The Salvation to my fragile sensibilities.

You see,... I am a poor man. I have cubase 3.6 running on pulsar and win 98 P111, Gigastudio and an ensoniq ASR10 that I hope one day, in vain I think, to integrate into the setup. Perhaps you could tell me how much it would cost to set up an equivalent system on my new lap top and what to buy? Pain and frustration have followed me on my musical journey, though my compositions are exceptional. See my blog here http://johnivorjones.blogspot.co.uk/. Music blog to follow, depending on whether I can get up and running on my P111 which I've just reformatted.

Oh ---------, and while I can select different tracks in cubase, I can only select ONE instrument at the the same time, so I can't see how one can enable monitoring for more than one instrument.

Naw dick. Are you done?

If you start to play nice, I will send you a newer LE version of Cubase.

That would be cool. But I don't think I could use it. As someone else said to me when I offered them a program for their older computer "stick it up your arse", but that was unnecessarily rude and I wouldn't say that here.
But I have got loads of giga samples.
What's cubase LE?
The match is over. Ireland won 26-8.

I have cubase 3.6 running on pulsar and win 98 P111, Gigastudio and an ensoniq ASR10 that I hope one day, in vain I think, to integrate into the setup.

I' thinking troll, too.

Quick, where on this big blue ball are you right now?

Ok man. Let's start over please? :)

I am not sure that any newer version of Cubase will run on Win 98. That may be the whole issue that you have. Software and hardware have come a long way since then.

You really should have posted the version of Cubase and your system, before telling us we are the stupid ones. :/

Ok, that being done with, let's start over ok? Truce?

You may need to update your OS and PC in order to run a version of Cubase that has much more versatility. Do you have a budget to do so?

LE is a limited version of Cubase. There are many versions. Usually they come bundled with hardware purchase. The limitations are usually special features that the full 'paid' versions have. They work for basic recording. Just without the bells and whistles that those of us who take this seriously find the expense worthy.

Last edited:
I' thinking troll, too.

Quick, where on this big blue ball are you right now?

He UK.

I don't think it matters. Seems he has quite outdated software, and computer.

Time to address things differently now that we know that he likely wasn't wrong. The fact that John did not give his system specs or software version led us to think he was insane.

@ John: In these days it is not typical to hear from someone with a computer or software that has been unsupported for this many years. You should have stated that right off. You are arguing apples with rotten oranges here.

Let's continue the discussion from here and see if we can find a way to make things work for you ok? :)

Lets get this straight for everyone else.

You are saying that everyone who has cubase 3.6 is a troll. This looks like a trollish outlook. It looks like you are troll-happy. You must be over-sensitive. You could desensitise by leaving here for the mountains and living on your own until you start to see real trolls. Just to get them out of your system. Hope that helps.

Have you friggen lost your mind man? Reply to the post that I made in regards to the software you are using. Chili did not know that you reluctantly neglected to state that you are using what would be considered 'entry level' gear when he posted this. Likely he was doing what most of us Americans do today: watch the Super Bowl.

Do you actually care to learn anything here?

Last edited:
Is this "game" a game you play with new people? I know only the Americans are bombing the world into righteousness (and they shall pay, are paying) but that US powergame you are emulating here is just a bit ...sick, tired. Hey. Get some fresh air. Meet real people. Renounce the "authority" , which doesn't amount to a bag of peanuts anyway.

Cubase, whether 3.6 or Terminator Salvation edition cannot audition two instruments. That's a fact. This "monitor" "record" manoevure is just hype. I'll try it tomorrow and I will return to tell you that it does not work.

There is no game. You are an arrogant individual with no ability to listen. You also did not share your system specs, nor the version of software you are using. Sorry, but when you list 'Cubase' as your software, we assume that it is a actual version of Cubase. 3.6 is a program separate from Cubase dood. VST 3.6 is not the same thing. You are the one that was not clear what version of Cubase you are using. Your bad. Give the right info before stabbing at members or mods here. You are the one who gave inadequate information.

How the heck could you expect us to know that without you telling us? You failed by not giving us that information. Cubase is not the same as VST 3.6.

You have one more chance to listen to the responses here. I will have no choice but to give you some time off and we can talk via PM. Seriously John, I am trying to help. You are making this a pain in your own ass. I don't get paid to help. I do it because I care. You are looking like an asshole.

Yeah, I got him confused with someone else for a minute. I saw UK for him and US for another... got them mixed up. Apologies on that one John.

Should have told us what version of Cubase you are using before throwing out wild-ass accusations about what the software can or cannot do. For that I don't apologize with the replies you've been getting.

Start over John. Now is the time...

Just acknowledge or realize that you did not give the pertinent information to begin with, and we can move on from here.

We are much better off by working together. :)

Last edited:
Hello,

Cubase, whether 3.6 or Terminator Salvation edition cannot audition two instruments. That's a fact. This "monitor" "record" manoevure is just hype. I'll try it tomorrow and I will return to tell you that it does not work.

Perhaps we are not understanding the terminology.
By instruments you mean...?

The Virtual instruments (software) or the sounds included on your keyboard (physical, hardware).
What virtual instrument or what is the source of the sounds that you want to audition?

If you could describe step by step what you are trying to do, that will be extremely helpful.
Then other users and I will have a clear view of what you are trying to do, perhaps there is a step that you are missing.

Best regards,
GN

Is this "game" a game you play with new people? I know only the Americans are bombing the world into righteousness (and they shall pay, are paying) but that US powergame you are emulating here is just a bit ...sick, tired. Hey. Get some fresh air. Meet real people. Renounce the "authority" , which doesn't amount to a bag of peanuts anyway.

Do you want help or do you just want to make a political statement?

I was trying to figure out earlier what it is you wanted to do exactly, but I can't figure it out. You need to formulate your questions a little more clearly than you have, otherwise people will just run around in circles trying to solve what they think you want, rather than what you actually want.

I understand that you have Cubase and a midi keyboard, and something is not doing what you expect it should be doing. Describe clearly what that is, and we can then take the next step.

Guys.. He's messing with you.

Nevertheless, this thread goes to show what an amazing bunch of people dwell in this forum. The patience shown here is worthy of a fucking Nobel prize.

It seems that people don't want to accept this major failing of Cubase. It's the same response I had years ago. No-one admits the fact that cubase cannot audition more than one instrument at the same time.

I cannot select more than instrument in Cubase. So I cannot play more than one instrument in Cubase. That's obvious. Not even the music course teacher could do it.

Cubase cannot audition more than one intrument at the same time. Highly frustrating. Even on my 20 yr old ensoniq I could easily select more than one instrument and play them. But not on Cubase. Doesn't anyone miss not having this extremely important musical option?

WTF did you not watch the video I made? I'M PLAYING 5 INSTRUMENTS AT ONCE FROM ONE KEYBOARD LIVE IN CUBASE. :facepalm:

Do you want a template or something? I'm flabbergasted at your failure to receive help right now.

You must have set up keyboard zones with different midi outs or something. Cubase itself does not allow us to audition more than one instrument because it cannot select more than one instrument and play them from a keyboard.

While my keyboard can do this, that is not what I did in that video. I clearly showed each instrument was on midi ch 1.

It doesn't matter though because you can set the midi input channel to ALL if you want and send whatever data over whatever channel you want.

Why would I make a video that doesn't prove my point?

Anyhow I've been on Cubase since version LE 1 and moved to SL 3 shortly after. While I do remember SL 3 loading vst instruments differently, I am 100% positive the way I did it is exactly the way you do it in version SX/SL 3.

For those that do not know, IIRC the vst instrument rack changed in version 4 and instrument tracks didn't exist before version 4 either.

I just tried to do something (as in tune a guitar) and scared the life out of me when I played an A, and a bizarre selection of every sound source erupted from the loudspeakers. I see the person who asked the question got banned, so was probably just trying to wind people up - BUT - it is something I've never actually done before in all the years I've been a Cubase user - back on an Atari, in black and white!

Anyhow I've been on Cubase since version LE 1 and moved to SL 3 shortly after. While I do remember SL 3 loading vst instruments differently, I am 100% positive the way I did it is exactly the way you do it in version SX/SL 3.

For those that do not know, IIRC the vst instrument rack changed in version 4 and instrument tracks didn't exist before version 4 either.

Yeah, I think the screenshots I posted would work in SE3. I pretty much learned Cubase with SE3 and never really expanded my knowledge beyond that level even though I use 6.5.

Someone banned him (wasn't me) but he got the answers he needed whether he knows it or not.

Back