Play two instruments at once? Not in this day and age.

It doesn't make any sense to control more than one VST with one midi track from a recording standpoint. Even when using plugins that host more than one sound (like halion) it makes much more sense to create a midi track for each instrument within the instrument.

Now I did it just to prove a the point, but normally for that example above there would be another 3 midi tracks.

It doesn't make any sense because you would want to control all the perameters of both instruments while recording.

If it was a live situation, well I would just snag a VST that fit the bill for what I was trying to do like Kontakt running a piano and string pad or something OR I would get a multi zone midi keyboard and dictate what each zone controlled.

But either way he just wasn't correct and I suspect that was why he bounced out of here.

Yes, I would have to set up the keyboard into different zones, all because we cannot select and play more than one instrument in Cubase.

A right pain, as I would have to laboriously repeat the procedure for every new set of instruments I wanted to select from the instrument list in the cubase sequencer.

So I was right. Cubase cannot select more than one instrument at the same time. So we cannot audition more than one instrument at the same time. THis is so basic, and a really important tool that has always been missing in Cubase. It's backward.

It seems that people don't want to accept this major failing of Cubase. It's the same response I had years ago. No-one admits the fact that cubase cannot audition more than one instrument at the same time.

I cannot select more than instrument in Cubase. So I cannot play more than one instrument in Cubase. That's obvious. Not even the music course teacher could do it.

Cubase cannot audition more than one intrument at the same time. Highly frustrating. Even on my 20 yr old ensoniq I could easily select more than one instrument and play them. But not on Cubase. Doesn't anyone miss not having this extremely important musical option?

What the fuck are you talking about?? I just tried it myself and it works fine.

Press the record button for each MIDI track you want triggered by your midi controller.

5 sounds at once, I didn't plug in the VO mic so just try to fallow along. I use 2 screens so I was flying in the VST instruments I was using to show how they were set. They are loaded in the vst instrument rack.

It's pretty easy to hear that I am controlling multiple instruments at once live (as you can see I am not recording). Also as you can hear I don't/can't play a keyboard to save my life.

You must have set up keyboard zones with different midi outs or something. Cubase itself does not allow us to audition more than one instrument because it cannot select more than one instrument and play them from a keyboard.

It seems that people don't want to accept this major failing of Cubase. It's the same response I had years ago. No-one admits the fact that cubase cannot audition more than one instrument at the same time.

I cannot select more than instrument in Cubase. So I cannot play more than one instrument in Cubase. That's obvious. Not even the music course teacher could do it.

Cubase cannot audition more than one intrument at the same time. Highly frustrating. Even on my 20 yr old ensoniq I could easily select more than one instrument and play them. But not on Cubase. Doesn't anyone miss not having this extremely important musical option?

Your music course teacher should be fired.

Yes, I would have to set up the keyboard into different zones, all because we cannot select and play more than one instrument in Cubase.

A right pain, as I would have to laboriously repeat the procedure for every new set of instruments I wanted to select from the instrument list in the cubase sequencer.

So I was right. Cubase cannot select more than one instrument at the same time. So we cannot audition more than one instrument at the same time. THis is so basic, and a really important tool that has always been missing in Cubase. It's backward.

The only thing that is 'backward' here is your inability to listen. You and your teacher are completely wrong.

I will now ask you to either listen to the truth that has been given to you here, or leave this forum.

It is absolutely possible to do everything you say cannot. Not even a struggle to make it happen.

You seem to be only either here to disrupt, or you are an idiot.

Good. Now we are getting somewhere - so I have to press the record button?

I will try that tomorrow. If it doesn't work I will be back and people will die.

The only thing that is 'backward' here is your inability to listen. You and your teacher are completely wrong.

I will now ask you to either listen to the truth that has been given to you here, or leave this forum.

It is absolutely possible to do everything you say cannot. Not even a struggle to make it happen.

You seem to be only either here to disrupt, or you are an idiot.

I am trying hard to find a reason why you are here. Perhaps you have forgotten to write something useful. Try and be like the others - helpful, polite, and intelligent.

Dood, I have gone out of my way to show you how this works in Cubase. I was being polite, and you are not listening.

If I deserved banning, I would do it to myself. I have that ability Sir. You are far more likely to have that done to yourself if you don't start listening...

Last edited:
I think I'm wasting my time here, but I will ask you anyway...
So, you press the record button to audition more than one instrument?
I won't be offended - please don't feel obliged to answer if you only wanted to posture.

The answer would be that you need to enable the tracks for each VSTi. Then enable monitoring as well. You do not need to hit 'Record' necessarily.

Dood, I have gone out of my way to show you how this works in Cubase. I was being polite, and you are not listening.

If I deserved banning, I would do it to myself. I have that ability Sir. You are far more likely to have that done if you don't start listening...

Who are you. What do you want. Why are you here. Please leave me alone.

My advice to everyone. Keep away from this guy. I will not be responding to his posts.

Okay, here are some screenshots....

Create two midi tracks

MidiTracks.jpg

Add two VSTi's I used Ezdrummer and an Ensoniq SQ8
VST_Instr.jpg

Assign each midi track to a VSTi

MidiAssign.jpg

Press Record on both midi tracks...

Voila....

The answer would be that you need to enable the tracks for each VSTi. Then enable monitoring as well. You do not need to hit 'Record' necessarily.

The Monitor button will probably work just as well. I didn't try it and I closed up Cubase already.

...annnnd I'm ready for a beer. Doesn't the game start soon?

Back