Pirate Software

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hyderipper:
-----------------------------------------
Hands up how many of you actually own a legal version of Microsoft Office?
-----------------------------------------
ME! Well, OK, that's not quite true. I use it through my employer's license with Microsoft (that is, I don't own it, my employer does).
--Dingo

Dingo, don't you find that just a little hypocritical? What do you call using software with someone else's license? I wonder what other software your using illegally. Get off the soap box.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, perhaps you're a little confused. My employer has a license that covers MY (and every other employee's) use of the software. Ever heard of a site license? Well, this is kind of like that, but many of us work off-site and it even covers us. Amazing what people think of, isn't it?

I'm not using any illegal software.

Tell me... If I made the statement that stealing someone's car is theft, and that theft is wrong, would you tell me to get off my soap box? Of course not... You'd most likely agree with me. But for some reason because I'm willing to stand up and call another type of theft "theft", and say that it's wrong, I'm on some imaginary soap box? Gimme a break.

And tell me, as some of you seem to think that if you can smear my integrity you can let yourselves off the hook... If I stole are car, and then made the statement that stealing cars is theft and theft is wrong, would that make the statement any less true? Of course not.

But hey, thanks for reviving the world's longest running thread so we can all revisit the facts one more time ;-)

--Dingo

The Bible says it's ok to use pirated software.
Does anyone know where I can get some pirated hardware? unaware? evening wear? underwear? underoos? kangaroos? twinkies? ding dongs? or ho hos?

Hey DMC.. hehh.. yeah pirated hardware, I've thought of that a few times. All we need is one of those replicators off Star Trek and were set. SSL's Neve's all the way...

I have some pirated Farberware that my wife uses in the kitchen, and some pirate formal wear in the closet - complete with silk eyepatch and the funny hat.

The Dingo's got my baby! I mean, I gotta side with Dingo on this question. The rest of you can dance around this issue all you want and can stretch all sorts of analogies to justify your actions, but you can't deny that software piracy is theft. Software may be an invisible product but you can't deny that it's a real product of someone else's effort. Just because you can easily make a perfect copy of the product doesn't mean that it's ok to do so. And some of you have taken the incredible step of asking Dingo to review any past indiscretions he might have ever made, in some lame attempt to prove your unprovable point.

Here's an analogy for you: what if someone listened to a song that you posted to the "MP3 Mixing Clinic" section of this BBS, then transcribed the song and submitted it to a record company as their own? Would that be ok with you?

SO, say I send FenderBender a copy of my old Win95 disk, and I keep the original. is that piracy, considering I don't use win95 anymore?

Also, suppose FenderBender does nothing and just keeps on using his secondhand computer with win95 installed, but no disk. is that piracy?

academically yours,
camn

Hey Dingo,

I guarantee you that not one person here is going to stop using pirated software because of what you're saying. Even though you ARE right, you're starting to sound like the bad guy here, so take a break, time out, take it easy bruddah. You're the good guy here....don't turn it around and sound like an asshole. Just my opinion with some aloha, bruddah.

No matter how you look at it, it was the only way I had to feel my way through all the products that're out there and make some decisions on where to spend my money. Don't even say you can try the free demos cause
They don't give you enough time to REALLY evaluate a product or they're severly limited in some way. It's not like you can run down to the local pro audio dealer and road test the shit out of everything. I bought all the stuff I have but not before I tried them out thanks to all my cyber terrorest friends.

Okay, I've got the eye patch, a hook for my hand, a wooden peg leg, and a parrot, but I still can't find any pirate software.

Guess who said this?

But really...don't just run out and just BUY something without learning to play first. What if you buy a guitar with a thin neck and find out you need one with a fat neck?

Back