Olympics Thread

Dunno if anyone else is watching the superheavyweight boxing but the Romanian guy was just robbed!

TV coverage in America is horribly sucky. You'd think swimming and gymnastics are the only Olympic sports if network TV is all you went by.

TV coverage in America is horribly sucky. You'd think swimming and gymnastics are the only Olympic sports if network TV is all you went by.

Its a pity you guys can't register for BBC iPlayer. They have a list of every sport and you can just choose which one to watch. Its great.

Its a pity you guys can't register for BBC iPlayer. They have a list of every sport and you can just choose which one to watch. Its great.

There are ways to watch whatever we want. It's just the common free over-the-air tv coverage is absolute garbage.

There are ways to watch whatever we want. It's just the common free over-the-air tv coverage is absolute garbage.

Ah, fair enough. BBC isn't exactly free to air, its £125 quid a year and its compulsory - if you have a TV in your house you have to pay it or you get fined which pisses some people off who feel its "undemocratic" or whatever. Personally I think they're just being tight fisted, stuff worth watching: shite is at a comparatively high ratio and there's no adverts!

I'm sure they did a focus group study to find out which events appealed to the largest cross-section of the population, so they could properly target their commercial advertisements in-between the event programming.

I doubt it's really about *covering* the Olympics as a documentary process. I don't know if anyone does that anymore...just show all the sports.

Back in the day there use to be some more obscure stations that had nothing better to show, so they would cover everything from start to finish, but you had to be able to tap into their broadcast to see it.
Modern programming...the internet...all the cable...gives people more options, but again, you have to go seek out those stations. AFA our "prime time" channels...they suck. They just follow some programmer's guidelines, and that's it. They hate to break stride anymore. It's always about "fitting it into the allowed time slot" and all that shit.

I'm sure they did a focus group study to find out which events appealed to the largest cross-section of the population,

Absolutely. You don't even need a study. What are the events the US will dominate? Easy. We knew that before it even started - Swimming and Gymnastics. Duh. So obviously we're gonna be inundated with Michael Phelps and Simone Biles coverage. What does America love more than mindless rah-rah flag waving? Nothing.

Funny how the US ping pong team got no coverage. :D

Absolutely. You don't even need a study. What are the events the US will dominate? Easy. We knew that before it even started - Swimming and Gymnastics. Duh. So obviously we're gonna be inundated with Michael Phelps and Simone Biles coverage. What does America love more than mindless rah-rah flag waving? Nothing.

Funny how the US ping pong team got no coverage. :D

:laughings: I'm just watching the gymnastics now

Much as I like to see how Brits are doing, I didn't appreciate twenty minutes of Katerina Johnson-Thompson pretending to throw a water bottle between javelin throws when I wanted to see how the other wimmin were throwing. Absolute shite coverage.

Is anybody else getting the sucky audio balance? Half the time the commentary completely disappears behind a roar of venue feed and music bed. Appalling.

I was watching the men's 10000m yesterday and towards the end the leaders were lapping the laggards with one or two laps to run (25 x 400m), and one of the laggards was an Australian, and I must admit, in a moment of great uncharity, I thought "Why are you here?"

In what world, if you're being lapped in the one event you're in, are you ever going to be a contender? Now if he'd come from some third world country where this is a huge achievement and the road out of poverty for himself and his family and entire village, no problems whatsoever, but from Australia I'm just thinking, can't we spend whatever portion of the taxpayer's dollar makes its way to you on someone with a bit more of a chance? Some other event perhaps if we don't have any good long distance runners right now?

I googled him. He came 28th, he's 35 years old. Pal, the dream is over. Get a job.

I was watching the men's 10000m yesterday and towards the end the leaders were lapping the laggards with one or two laps to run (25 x 400m), and one of the laggards was an Australian, and I must admit, in a moment of great uncharity, I thought "Why are you here?"

Channel 7's coverage is rubbish, we have 3 channels, I watched the same interview on all 3 channels the other night, 10 mins apart. You have to constantly channel surf to catch whats on, and we are watching coverage of something that has no Oz competitors that is coming up to a thrilling finish and it's: "we are crossing to the blah blah finish to watch an Oz coming in 20th :facepalm:

Horses, golf and tennis. Al 3 should be gone from the Olympics.

Last Olympics were better when fox had it here, we had 8 channels all showing a sport all the way through. Oh well the BMX starts soon, thats always fun to watch, if we get to see any of it.

Alan.

In what world, if you're being lapped in the one event you're in, are you ever going to be a contender? Now if he'd come from some third world country where this is a huge achievement and the road out of poverty for himself and his family and entire village, no problems whatsoever, but from Australia I'm just thinking, can't we spend whatever portion of the taxpayer's dollar makes its way to you on someone with a bit more of a chance? Some other event perhaps if we don't have any good long distance runners right now?

I googled him. He came 28th, he's 35 years old. Pal, the dream is over. Get a job.

Haha, Armistice you grumpy bastard!

I think I'll take up Greco-Roman wrestling this winter. GB don't have a team, so that's obviously my easiest ticket to last place in Tokyo.

Haha, Armistice you grumpy bastard!

Yeah, I know. :laughings: It's because our Olympic trajectory is going exactly as I predicted earlier. You know the theory of "American exceptionalism" we like to bait the yanks about? Australia has its own version as it applies to sport - the belief that we will prevail because we're Australian and it's what we do.

There's been a very sad procession this Olympics of many top Australian athletes across all the sporting disciplines who've failed to execute, on the day, the skills they've been honing for years.

The Brits looked at our success a couple of decades ago in not just Olympic sports but others, and thought "Why aren't we doing as well as those pesky convicts?" and then went about and relentlessly fixed the various issues over time, and are now kicking our arses all over the joint in most sporting endeavours.

We still haven't worked out why yet, it seems. Completely obvious to me. Bit more humility is required, as a start point.

The Brits looked at our success a couple of decades ago in not just Olympic sports but others, and thought "Why aren't we doing as well as those pesky convicts?" and then went about and relentlessly fixed the various issues over time, and are now kicking our arses all over the joint in most sporting endeavours.

We still haven't worked out why yet, it seems. Completely obvious to me. Bit more humility is required, as a start point.
In the last 20 years (basically since the fucking shambles of the Atlanta Games) we just invested a shit load in grass roots sport. The idea being to get as many people as possible doing sport for sports sake as opposed to for the reason of being exceptional at it. This has naturally produced a pretty large pool of talent. As opposed to chucking money at individual athletes who seem to show talent.

There's also been an interesting bi-product of this - the ones who don't make it to the Summer Games, have also been getting selected to train for the Winter Games. We had a number of medals at the last winter games by athletes who didn't quite make the cut for the summer games but transferred that training and sporting mind-set into winter sport - we even got a few golds out of nowhere.

I don't want to take the piss, but it does seem humility is part of the problem... Aussies are getting a pretty bad reputation for being arrogant wankers although, saying that, most of the Aussies I know are cool and are generally apologetic about their reputation!

I've been fairly impressed with Australia's showing. Maybe not in medals, but it seems there's always an Aussie in the hunt. I always root for the US first obviously, but if we're not a factor, I root for the english speakers. Aus, GB, Canada - if you're a western country and speak english I'll cheer you on. After that I'll root for other euro countries that don't speak english, but they're still a western society type place, like Germany, France, the Swiss, Holland, etc. Under no circumstances do I root for Asians, middle easterns, africans, south americans, or commies.

Women's soccer. Our ladies' soccer team is supposed to be pretty bad ass full of bad ass chicks.

Nice job, ladies.

Is Hope Solo the most horrible bitch in the world? Maybe so. My God, she is toxic. I'm really gonna miss her when she's gone.

haha! You never hear that anymore.

I grew up during the end of the cold war. Reagan's 80s were still very commie sensitive. I still like to use that term because I think it's funny how people react to it. It's so dated and stupid, I find it very funny, especially when you stick a "pinko" at the front of it. Pinko commie. Hilarious.

Back