New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi all,

I'm Chris from near Liverpool in the UK. I like to play guitar and write music that's on the heavy side without being crazy metal. Played in unsigned bands a few times and made quick demos at home but I'm currently without a band so I want to put my efforts into learning about home recording and getting better at all the techniques I need. Currently have a very basic set up but hope to have a legit home studio set up in a few years.

I hope I can learn a lot from you all. I posted my first track that I've made a bit of effort with into the MP3 Mixing Clinic forum so if anyone could have a listen and send over some feedback it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Hello! I'm Kei!

I've been singing since I was 14 years old and this year I decided to get serious and purchase a microphone to upload some covers!! (YES. SIX YEARS LATER. I'M SLOW OK.)

...But this stuff is harder than I thought so I'll have to come around here to ask for some advice.

So! That's how lame I am. Anyway I hope this will be fun!

Hello! I'm Mike!

I am a low brass player, favoring Tuba and Euphonium. I have been playing for 20 years, but have only just started to try my luck with Home Studio Recording.

... I've quickly learned, that I have much to learn :)

I've found this forum and am running full speed, crying for "Haaaaaaalp!"

Hi guys,

My name is Gustavo I'm been enjoying reel to reel since 2005, Pioneer RT 909, Teac 3340S and Sony 200, I'm looking information and suggestions for my new deck Tascam 48.

Pretty sure I'm going to learn a lot here.

Gustavo

I've just joined because I am hoping for help with an issue with using my Behringer 1002fx in performance, this is probably completely off message in this group, sorry about that! Anyway, my issue is that when I put any of my outputs through a main mixer for PA the effects don't seem to be applied. I've just checked it at home and it's working through headphones and an extension speaker. I am wondering if the mixing desks I am plugging into somehow don't accept the modulation. I do get a good non-effect sound though. I am playing the flute through and instrument mike, no phantom power. Any ideas? This might be the wrong place for this post, if so where should it go?

My name is Michael. I've been in the audio industry for about 23 years. I've done location sound recording, studio recording, and mixes for commercials. Hope to be able to share some of my knowledge and experience.

Hi, I'm Geoff - a pensioner just returning to music after decades without touching an instrument. Back in the 1980s, I was a semi-pro Bluegrass player (fiddle, guitar, mandolin and banjo) and messed around a bit with a Tascam 4-track Portastudio. My home studio is mainly a rehearsal studio to help me get my hand back in by playing different instruments in the same mix and by playing along with commercial MP3s. Equipment currently is a Windows 7 laptop, Mackie Onyx Blackjack USB interface, Tracktion DAW, a pair of Behringer C-2 mics. I have generic headphones and computer speakers, which I know aren't optimal for mixing something to play on other equipment. However, the output is only for my benefit while rehearsing right now and I plan to add studio-quality monitors and headphones at a later date. I also have Riffstation, which lets me play along with MP3s, slow them down, change key etc. to arrange for each instrument.

Given the massive technological changes between the 1980s and now, I suspect I might need to rely on the collective wisom of the group - which will be gratefully received.

Hello, just signed up. I'm fresh.

Having only ever recorded on a 4 track and halfbaked things on garage band due to ignorance/impatience/laziness i thought i''d get a Tascam 238, to get a better sound whilst it being still analogue. I know very little about recording set up's. Im sure i could of spent my money on half decent software etc maybe, but i want the tape machine, because its hands on and i dont require endless possibilites etc etc... basically i'm a novice and often find manuals crippling. So here i am, on the internet, publicly announcing these questions to you generous and knowledgeable people:

1. Can i hook up a soundcraft spirit folio 12/2 mixer with tascam 238? (i have limited funds for the tascam mixers that i've read about)

2. Literally, in toddler speak, how do i connect it all up, how many leads, do's/dont's, yadda yadda?

Of course over time and through trial and error i will figure stuff out, but a few pointers on how to get up and running pronto would be very useful.

Many Thanks Peoples,

Chris

Last edited:
It says "New members introduce yourself here", and since I couldn't find "old members reintroduce yourself here" I figured I would just write a little sumtn sumtn here.
Well, I can't say I'm a new member seeing as I registered on this site just short of a dozen years ago. 11 years to be exact. It's awesome to see that it's still up and running, as I spent alot of my early years here. What surprises me is that I actually remembered that password to access my account. Stunning!
Well, I'm still Nito by name, and I still got the itch for music production. Under this name I keep it hip hop, but as the years progressed so did my genres. I'm currently building a site over at allcitybeats.com, to see if I can sell my beats on a global scale. Sure would appreciate some feedback from you. Well, that was a short intro about me, and I'm looking forward to hang around a bit more.
By the way, can anyone enlighten me as to how I update my mail add, and homepage on my profile?
Thanks.

EDIT:
What's up with no dedicated forum for propellerhead and Reason? Sure would put a smile on my face

Hello! Name's Adrian.

Self-taught guitarist bla bla, pretty much on the amateur level still and I mainly just practice some songs from Intervals in my free time.

The reason I signed up today is because of my beloved Line 6 spider IV 150.... Fuck yeah.

It's garbage. So im just looking for some enlightenment while stacking up my cash for a better rig.

Ask me anything or gimme some tips for amps etc if you like..

Have a good one!

Hi Everyone, I'm Threya and have primarily joined because I'm having a clear-out of quite a bit of home recording equipment. I've switched mainly to outdoor hobbies and interests and, apart from blogging about them, have little time for anything music-related (except for listening to music while I type on my computer).

Hey! My name is jake, and just signed up today! I'm fairly new to production, just a MPK mini 25 key and a DAW. Looking for some people to give me feedback, and hopefully hear other people's creations!

Much love!

OuroborosJR: Matthew is my name.

Music has been important/necessity for 20+ years.

I joined homerecording to get help/pointers/opinions from others as I break my DIY cherry.

I've only ever focused on performance and instruments' details. I have ZERO understanding of home recording and I want to get into it.

After a year and a half of poverty, my wife and I are re-building. I am acquiring all new gear and want to start recording at home but I'm starting from square one.

The gear I've acquired so far:
1966 Fender Jaguar / sunburst / pre-CBS dot inlays. Amazing guitar!

Boxes: zvex "fuzz factory" and "super ringtone" and Boss TU-

No amp...yet! ;-)

GarageBand for iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro.

I've got a long way to go, but I want to start recording music at home, digitally. I have no experience with home/digital recording so I'm taking my time, learning slowly, from the ground up.

I'm hoping that I don't get shunned or laughed out from this forum. I've never used or belonged to a forum either. :-/

So, bare with me, please, I'll be asking some pretty stupid questions, but always look for my answer first.

Matt S. P.

Hi... I am dee.p.tree...!! just now joned this forum.

Hope I'll have good time here. Learning new things related to music production is main air for joining this forum.

I am very new to music production. I have no gear except my old laptop and earbuds which is generally supplied with mobile phones.

I have made some music... in last one year. But it may not be top class. I am trying to develop my self with hard work.

I hope, I will get the support from members.

Thank you,
Dee.P.Tree :thumbs up:

Hi all. I'm Lee.

I've been singing in barbershop harmony groups for 35 years (quartets and choruses), several of which that have made recordings in a studio, but aside from some basic editing, I've never actually been involved in the actual technical recording process itself.

So, I'm a noob that's hoping to start recording my quartet (mostly for fun, maybe for a bit of promo) to start learning more about the whole process, and I'm really looking for any advice on recording barbeshop/a cappella.

I have a basic knowledge of recording, but that's really about it. For various reasons, I have a Rode NT4 mic and a Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, along with some decent studio headphones, and I've been using Reaper as my DAW, but that's about it. Not looking to spend a lot right now as I'm not planning to make any money off these recordings.

Although many barbershop recordings use 4 inputs, I'm looking to just record the group as a whole on the NT4.

I've toyed around with recording and mixing down a little over the past few weeks but want to make everything a whole lot better.

Anyway, that's me! Any other barbershopper or a cappella geeks out there feel free to give me a shout! And thanks in advance for any help. :)

-Lee

Last edited:
Greetings All,

I'm a newbie here. I live on the Right Coast (as opposed to the Left Coast) in the New England area. I'm a retired teacher and since I've retired I'm pursuing my interests in home recording and music. I play the piano, although I have to admit I'm not that good. I play mostly for personal enjoyment. I do have designs to play in a band, but I don't think I'll ever get good enough to play before an audience ( I believe that's a function of not practicing enough), but there is something to be said about the calming effects of just sitting down at a keyboard and playing simple jazz songs even if your not a professional musician. Anyway, I have a question about music transcribing software and I'm hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction. I was watching a favorite TV show a few days ago and the plot of the show centered around rights to a musical composition. In a scene of the show the artist was showing how he composed a song and he was using a software called SuperScribe. The S in Super and Scribe was the treble clef. It appeared to be a very simple and easy to use software. I immediately stoped watching the program jumped on my computer and started a search for the product. I have pretty good tech skillls when it comes to searching the internet, however I was not able to find anything about this software anywhere. I'm wondering if anyone in the forum has heard of this software? Just in case you would like to see this software program for yourself the show I was watching is called "The Good Wife" it is on the cable channel (XFINITY ON DEMAND) the episode aired on 01/17/16 and I believe it is available until 02/20/16. Thanks in advance for your help. I'm going to browse around the forums and check things out.

Back