New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Reintroducing myself

hi everyone

I'm not really a new member but I've been absent for several years...with all the stuff that's happened in my life I'd totally forgotten that I was a member of this forum. Thank goodness my account still exists!

So in a nutshell: self taught multi-instrumentalist and lifelong recording enthusiast; started experimenting as a kid with cassettes, moved to four-track cassette in my twenties, and then to digital once I had my hands on a reasonably capable computer. Member of three bands in my hometown of Columbus, Ohio, resulting in my working on several albums; musical activities curtailed severely for several years after moving to New Jersey, then picked up again on my own once I started multitracking again. Currently a month away from moving back to Columbus where I hope to get back to playing and recording with others again, and to finally set up a proper studio in my old house, with all the bells and whistles. :-)

My current recording setup is pretty minimal but adequate for a lone noodler:
* 2008-model iMac running OS X 10.6
* Reaper DAW
* Audacity
* M-Audio Fast Track USB interface
* Behringer Truth B2031 studio monitors
* MCA SP-1 condenser mic (for vocals and acoustic guitar)
* Audio Technica ATM41HE dynamic mic (for guitar amp)

I have a bunch of other gear that I haven't used in some time, largely because I left them back home in storage:
* homebuilt AMD AthlonXP computer running Windows XP (self-destructed)
* M-Audio Delta 66 PCI interface with Omni I/O breakout box
* N-Track DAW (unstable, ditched it in favor of Reaper)
* TASCAM Portastudio 424 Mk II
* TASCAM M-216 mixer
* ART FXR Elite multi-effects
* Behringer parametric EQ
* obscure brand compressor/limiter
* obscure brand graphic EQ
* vintage Roland vocoder (never really got it to work, but I have it at least hehe)
* vintage Sony stereo 1/4" open-reel tape deck (want to find a use for it...echo? flanging?)
* probably other stuff, I forget

You may hear examples of my home-recorded musical meanderings from over the years here:
https://soundcloud.com/bill-spiropoulos/

Being firmly of the old school in spite of my tender 41 years of age, I mostly approach digital recording the same as I did with tape--real instruments, limited automation, and limited digital trickery. I'm a slobbering idiot when it comes to loops, samples, MIDI, contemporary electronica/dance/pop/hip-hop type production techniques, etc. I like simplicity. I also love the sound and spirit of the old-fashioned approach to recording and music in general, but I greatly appreciate the flexibility of recording and editing digital.

I will have more to say and ask later, let this suffice for now. It is great to be back and I'm looking forward to talking shop with you all!

cheers

Billy S.

My name is Jonathan. I am a trombone player who likes to try and play guitar and bass. I took some schooling for recording, but it was not my major and I did not spend a lot of time in school doing that. I want to record more and be better at it.

Hey guys,

I'm LoLA and I'm from England!

I'm really new here and I'm not sure how everything works, but I thought doing some sharing would be a good place to start! I tend to cover rock/pop/k-pop stuff, but mostly K-pop lately. I love mixing and I have been singing and recording at home for years. I'm a member of another forum, vocal-loco, where members produce and host singing competitions. Earlier this year I won a competition over there (haven't been in one since) and I have won others in the past on other forum sites such as voicehollywood and audiocity (both are closed now :(). I feel these have really benefitted me, but I still have more to go!!

Anyway! Here is something I recently recorded and mixed. It's the official English version of the Boys by Girls Generation. I did all the vocals on the track and mixed it.
The Boys - click to listen!

Nice to meet you all!

Hey, I'm Scott! I just completed my very first attempt at mixing! I played/done everything myself except drums, I used EZdrummer for that. Would love some feedback and tips on how to improve. I'll try and find the right place to post it though. Thanks ?

Hi all!

I'm new here.
From Belgium...

I'm just a music lover, not a musician in particular. Can't read notes, however I like to play the guitar.
And I like to create, like to photograph... and want to combine stuff like photo and music in some audiovisual project later on...

So, started recording some small melodies in 2005... no songs, no chorus, no... just converting the emotions and melodies in my head into sounds.
Not meaning to perform live or sell albums...
But then, in short: I didn't have time anymore doing this, I met a girl, got married, got children, moved home,... got busy busy...
And now, 10 years later, I want to re-record those melodies in a better quality, into more complete songs than just snippets of audio.

I don't know anything about mixing and mastering... just started to record with some basic setup:

My setup:
Guitar: Ibanez Artcore
USB-Interface: Sonuus i2m (for audio/midi)
DAW: Magix Music Studio (amateuristic I know, but it works for now)
Amp: Amplitube 3

Currently all in Windows, wanted to make the studio in Linux, but didn't work out, yet...

You can listen my samples here:
https://bulevardi.bandcamp.com/album/lost-perceptions-from-this-point-of-view-in-progress
It's currently still in progress. It sounds a little demo/n00b/post-rock/...

I can always use tips. That's currently the reason why I signed in :)

I'm aswel a Finland fan... Like to exchange/work together with someone in the furture, (from Finland if possible) to create some music together...or with anyone else that's into this same kind of music... I know it's not commercial and does not sound like I'll be having a large target audience with the crap I make :D
But hey, it's just a fun hobby, for now ;)

Hello, I'm Dilara. I can play, but I'm just learning to record, a very new newbie. Learning Logic Pro X, with a Scarlett 6i6 interface.. and just for fun, I've got a Korg Trinity ProX.

Chris! otherwise known as @ceemaymedia on twitter. Please follow!!
Passion for all genres.
There is always a place for soul music, and always a place for dance music

Hi i´m a lifelong musician, more than forty years. I play guitar and sing, i have a cover band and we play sixties and fifties music.I started recording my own songs about 8 months ago, with just a mic and a video camera for overdubs. I want to learn how to use a computer properly for recording purposes.

This forum looks great, there is a lot of stuff here that i want to learn how to use with the computer. Most of my experience has been with live sound engineering, guitars and guitar amplifiers.

I also play drums and bass guitar.

Hi Everyone

Pretty total newbie to home recording - but looking forward to gaining knowledge from you experienced peeps out there.

Have already got a question....if you can help me out, that'd be great!

I'll post it in what I think is the right forum!

Thanks

Mark

Hi Everyone

Pretty total newbie to home recording - but looking forward to gaining knowledge from you experienced peeps out there.

Have already got a question....if you can help me out, that'd be great!

I'll post it in what I think is the right forum!

Thanks

Mark

Well get to it! :)

Welcome to the forum Mark. :)

Greetings,
I introduced my self previously,
I go by the moniker "sunaj,"
I am a 6 & 12 string guitar instrumentalist doing my original material,
hoping to hook up with other similar guitarists who are recording,
I'm working on my VS 2000CD right now, expanding and looking to explore the many
fascinating guitar modeling plugins and synth to create a really great CD,
I'm in the vein of Kottke, Atkins, Hedges, the guitar gods I aspire to
Cheers
sunaj
Ca

I hope I am introducing myself in the correct area. Sorry, yesterday when I signed up I did not see this Newbie section, must have been still sleeping...lol My name is Tom and I basically joined because it looked like a great source for Home Studio information among other music interests. My wife has put a few cd's together that really haven't taken off, but she is looking to add a little extra to her Home Studio. She wants to create her own CD's so she was looking towards buying a Karaoke Machine that will add background instruments and so forth. I posted a message yesterday on here, but not sure what happened to it. Could anyone tell me if this machine will do the trick or is there something better suited? We would like to stay under $100. Thank you!
I'm still touring this site which is very impressive by the way. Is there a certain area to share music? Thank you for all your help and I look forward to meeting new people and sharing.

I hope I am introducing myself in the correct area. Sorry, yesterday when I signed up I did not see this Newbie section, must have been still sleeping...lol My name is Tom and I basically joined because it looked like a great source for Home Studio information among other music interests. My wife has put a few cd's together that really haven't taken off, but she is looking to add a little extra to her Home Studio. She wants to create her own CD's so she was looking towards buying a Karaoke Machine that will add background instruments and so forth. I posted a message yesterday on here, but not sure what happened to it. Could anyone tell me if this machine will do the trick or is there something better suited? We would like to stay under $100. Thank you!
I'm still touring this site which is very impressive by the way. Is there a certain area to share music? Thank you for all your help and I look forward to meeting new people and sharing.

Howdy Tom,

Myself and another member replied to your first post. I wonder if for some reason your notifications are turned off somehow. I will look into it. :)

Welcome to the forum!

hi guys am anthony from liverpool england not much electronic stuff from me bass, guitar,piano ,drums kinda guy2.jpg4.jpg

Last edited:
Hi.

I have been playing music for over 15 years now and I am trying my hand at recording. I have only ever used Garage band so my experience is extremely limited which is why I am on here.

I am sure there will be many questions to follow.

Hello all,
I'm from Quebec (Canada). I've been playing music a lot as a teen (bass, guitar and some keyboard) and started recording with cool edit pro. Is stopped music for a long while (school, work, kid...) and now I'm back at it. I was looking for a new software to replace my cool edit and your site helped me a lot and pointed me toward Reaper and also helped me to get started. I just want to record a demo, not mixing or mastering (I don't have a room or speakers to do this). This site is really a great tool, thank you.

Back