Need a mix / mastering for my "We all know" song

Hi,
i spent a little more effort on this now that i had a little more time.
I replaced the http by h**p since the forum doesn't let me post url's yet.
h**ps://soundcloud.com/fakas-1/we-all-know-final-mix

Best regards,
Bruno Domingues

Here is my new and final mix. I made some adjustments to my last one including adding a little more meat to the kick drum.

Seems like it is missing some lower mid-range or upper base. Between (not an expert here) 500-3K range? Could be just me.

Seems like it is missing some lower mid-range or upper base. Between (not an expert here) 500-3K range? Could be just me.

Thank you David, Is there a certain section that stands out for you? I will go back and reevaluate my mastering process too.

Thank you David, Is there a certain section that stands out for you? I will go back and reevaluate my mastering process too.

It was consistent across the song. It just seemed it was missing sound in that lower middle range.

After 2:49 it settles real nice, then at 4:19 when the background vocals kick back in, the highs seem to be harsh again. Maybe bring those highs down to get it to settle.

I am listening to this at rather a loud volume and highs seem to harsher at a higher volumes. It is pretty close to my liking. Bring those highs down starting at around the 9K and out then see if it fattens it up.

Good tune, good mix. This is just an opinion, so make the changes and see if it sounds better to you, if not, then ...

i listened to my version and fixed it (at least i think so :))
let me know what you think

Hi.

Nice version. I think the sologuitars could be some db higher. Also the placing of the instruments seems a bit in the middle. It sounded like they all fighting for the same spot. Last thing: where are my second voice...?

ps: a bit to much reverb also, when base/full-drums kick in.

But thanks

-einar-

Hi.

Nice version. I think the sologuitars could be some db higher. Also the placing of the instruments seems a bit in the middle. It sounded like they all fighting for the same spot. Last thing: where are my second voice...?

ps: a bit to much reverb also, when base/full-drums kick in.

But thanks

-einar-

The extra reverb is coming in with the second voice (and the other BG Vox), I think I need ro reduce ther verb and I think that should clear up the high end issue too. Did you record your second voice or create it from your first one and using pitch correction to make it different. I pitch corrected them both, so if they were the same signal before, they are once again, but I can undo if need be.

I have most of the guitars panned left and right. The only thing up the middle are the solo guitars, bass, snare, kick, and lead vocals. The stereo tracks provided were left as stereo tracks.

Let me know what you hear on your other sound systems.

Thank you all for your contructive comments! :thumbs up:

The extra reverb is coming in with the second voice (and the other BG Vox), I think I need ro reduce ther verb and I think that should clear up the high end issue too. Did you record your second voice or create it from your first one and using pitch correction to make it different. I pitch corrected them both, so if they were the same signal before, they are once again, but I can undo if need be.

I have most of the guitars panned left and right. The only thing up the middle are the solo guitars, bass, snare, kick, and lead vocals. The stereo tracks provided were left as stereo tracks.

Let me know what you hear on your other sound systems.

Thank you all for your contructive comments! :thumbs up:

Hi.

eh.....the post with the reverb and the stereo issues was a comment to "bartekkck" version, not yours.......just to clarify.... ;-)

-einar-

Hi.

Ist a really nice version.But there are some changes that could make it just right for me

1. The sologuitar could be a couple of db higher except at the end, where it goes duo. (after "today"). Here you have to lower it quite a bit. It sticks out to much

2. The marching drums could be lowered just a tad, and perhaps be given a bit more "dril-drums" sound. Dont know how to explain it, but now it sounds a bit to much like a regular snare....make sense...?

3. The voice have to be compressed a bit more on the high pass.

4.When u use the double voice in the chorus, try lowering it a bit(and/or try giving it some new exiting sound ;-). Iv read somewhere that effects can be used, but used so modest that u dont quite know/hear what it is, but you hear there are something there

5. After the intros of the electric guitars, when the voice starts again,modify the guitars a couple of db lower. We may not hear the modifications, but i think it will blend in better then. Just a tough. Maybe rise the organs a bit, just where u lower the gitars or...?if so, remember to lower them in the chorus......they are kind of out of sync.....

6. There are some weird thing going on at the last "today".....? it sounds like one of the choir voice is pitched way out of tone......just listen.

last: there are to much guitar going on in second chorus. Have u added the extra stereo el. guitar from the original tracks...? maybe drop that,or...? Dont hear exactly whats wrong, it just feels like there are to much sound going on.....

I now realize that it was quite a bit i wanted to be change, but i see a potential to get this song as close to my hope as possible, with your version... :-) :-)

-einar-

Last edited:
Here is a new mix I worked on yesterday to fix a few things, but this was before your last post so those things might not be addressed in this mix. I wrked on improving my monitoring system so I hope this sounds better than my previous versions.

See my notes in red below.

Hi.

Ist a really nice version.But there are some changes that could make it just right for me

1. The sologuitar could be a couple of db higher except at the end, where it goes duo. (after "today"). Here you have to lower it quite a bit. It sticks out to much I actually have an effect on the guitar that sounds really cool. I need to do an intrumental mix just for this purpose. For the most part it is a nice counter point, but it does clash with the vocals at a louder vol, even without the additional effect. I wanted that solo to fill the empty space behind the vocals and accoustic and I think it does a very good job.

2. The marching drums could be lowered just a tad, and perhaps be given a bit more "dril-drums" sound. Dont know how to explain it, but now it sounds a bit to much like a regular snare....make sense...?
I do see where you were going with the snare. I intentionally tried to make it blen with the other snare sound so there was not a an obvious change in drums. I did want to retain the cadence feel of those parts of the song, so it is more of the focal instrument and everything else is supporting its efforts.

3. The voice have to be compressed a bit more on the high pass. I am not sure what you mean about the high pass, I do have quite a bit of compression on all the vocals. I hope my last remix does a better job with the vocala.

4.When u use the double voice in the chorus, try lowering it a bit(and/or try giving it some new exiting sound ;-). Iv read somewhere that effects can be used, but used so modest that u dont quite know/hear what it is, but you hear there are something there
Here again, I hope my remix fixes some of these issues. Having the second vocal come does create a bit of a different image to that sound, I could put extra effects on it, but I thought it might be overkill. I do like the way your progression of vocals work in the song, so I was trying to keep them as natural as posible. You did a wonderful job on them that I hated to alter them too much.

5. After the intros of the electric guitars, when the voice starts again,modify the guitars a couple of db lower. We may not hear the modifications, but i think it will blend in better then. Just a tough. Maybe rise the organs a bit, just where u lower the gitars or...?if so, remember to lower them in the chorus......they are kind of out of sync.....
Although I can mix other styles, I am influenced by progressive rock/metal, and I saw the potential in this song. There is nothing flashy about the organ, so I saw no reason to have it stick out, but I do love using organs to support the guitar tones to fatten them up and fill in the gaps. You can hear them but not notice them. I could go back and raise them, but it will change the feel of the mix.

6. There are some weird thing going on at the last "today".....? it sounds like one of the choir voice is pitched way out of tone......just listen.
Yes there was an issue. Melodyne messed it up somehow, but I fixed it in my last mix.

last: there are to much guitar going on in second chorus. Have u added the extra stereo el. guitar from the original tracks...? maybe drop that,or...? Dont hear exactly whats wrong, it just feels like there are to much sound going on.....
I used all the tracks that you provided. I love the extra guitar track, it gives it that extra dynamics the cries for.

I now realize that it was quite a bit i wanted to be change, but i see a potential to get this song as close to my hope as possible, with your version... :-) :-)

-einar-

I am very happy with my last mix, but I will redo another with your suggestions just for the challenge.

Here is a new mix I worked on yesterday to fix a few things, but this was before your last post so those things might not be addressed in this mix. I wrked on improving my monitoring system so I hope this sounds better than my previous versions.

Hi.

I liked this version best....... if u now could just lover the sologuitar a bit after the "today", it will be nice....I mean, im having a hard time hearing the "duo solo-guitar" (english issent quite my native language :o:o , so something is to loud.....

best regards
-einar-

Hi,

I'd appreciate your feedback/suggestions/improvements.
Thanks.

Hi,

I'd appreciate your feedback/suggestions/improvements.
Thanks.

Hi.

Nice version but there are several pointers:
1. The acoustic guitar are a bit harsh/sharp in the beginning
2. The kick is to bottom heavy. It does not sound like a kick.....just sounds like a boomy thing
3. The sologuitars are a bit to loud
4. Your bass playing dont transparent very well. It gets to muddy. This point, is what most mixers in this forum has the most difficulties with. Its so hard getting the el. guitars and kick + bass to sit well. Cant give u any advice regarding this, as i dont master this, at all, myself.

If u manage the troublesome low to mid range misery, you'll be real pro here in homerecording.. ;-)

-einar-

Hi,
thanks for your comments, i'll try to change the mix according to your suggestions.
The low to mid range is much problematic to cause some messing if things in this area overlap too much each other and if unnecessary bass/low mids are kept.
Regarding the bass i'm thinking that the real problem here started with the recording, i'll try to record it again and get it more right from the recording stage because as i feel it's getting too hard to "fix it" on the mix stage.

Back