NAME THOSE OLD NOW OBSCURE BANDS

Pavlov's Dog........Bob Seeger on guitar,wasn't it?
That was a good one.I was wondering if anyone remembers a band called Dust.They were a power trio,and the only name I remember is Kenny Aaronson,who went on to play bass with Derringer (remember THEM? Rick Derringer's band).

Great call on Pablo Cruise )Cruz?)

Iron Butterfly
Poco

Boston bands - Orpheus and - Beacon Street Union

Obscure bands - The Fabulous Rhinestones
The Robbin Thompson Band

Obviously a lot of old rock 'n rollers around here!!!!

The Fabulous Rhinestones -- a great band! And hearing their name reminds me also of Orleans, another really talented group that sadly suffered from a tendency towards treacle. They used to gig around upstate NY when I was in college and they played a fabulous rock/reggae Christmas carol medley. Really good band...

Does anyone remember an obscure band that was called Bang? They did two albums I know of,one self titled and one called "Bow To The King",which included a cover of "No Sugar Tonight". They were a power trio.
Other than that........how about Focus?

Haha Peter Miller........
In the underrated guitar thread you listed Nils Lofgren,and I seconded the motion and added,"Anyone remember Grin?" I then thought,"Hmmmmm...maybe I had better add Grin to the obscure band thread." So I go here and you beat me to it! Kudos!

Charlie! Now that's obscure.
Mad Dogs and Englishmen?
Budgie?
Brewer and Shipley?
Traffic (what kid has heard of them?)
Wings (go ahead...test a kid!)

Glass Harp......Phil Keaggy,Maestro!
I still have their first album (I DO mean album).
They reunited for a few shows in the '90s.
Maybe already mentioned......how about Grinderswitch?

http://www.uriah-heep.com

Tweedville, thank you so much for mentioning Uriah Heep! I have been championing their cause for the last 26 years! They are my absolute favorite band next to The Beatles, and did you know they are alive and well, and still touring?!?!?! Their best years were in the 70's, but the music they have been turning out in the last few years is awesome. Just did an "Acoustically Driven" album with the likes of Ian Anderson setting in with them. There is a huge presence on the web of "Heepsters" and tons of information on over 60 sites dedicated to them! 30 years and over 30 million albums!
I have recorded with Ken Hensley ( Heeps driving force in the 70's & 80's songwriting/keyboards/guitar) and we appear on the Heep tribute cd "Heepsteria" together. I love the shit out of those guys! They are as kind and genuine as can be, and they invite all to their backstage parties :) Due to be over here in the US this summer for the first time in about 20 years. To all classic rockers here...go get "Uriah Heep Live73" and "Demons and Wizards". You won't be sorry! bOb

Man --- excellent guitar work on Rhinos, Winos, and Lunatics
Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come- Galactic Zoo Dossier
Delbert & Glen (Delbert McClinton & Glen Clark)
Arthur Lee
Little Feet
John Mayall
Kaptain Kopter & his Fabulous Twirlybirds (Randy California from Spirit)
Hampton Grease Band
Hydra
Stillwater
Wild Man Fischer (Zappa's discovery)
Beefhart's "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
Steve Hunter - solo & with Lou Reed

Here's obscure-

Nektar. A German rock band from the 70's that had some interesting albums, with titles like "Remember the Future".

Hatfield and the North. With the great Dave Stewart(not of Eurythmics) on keyboards. The album "Rotters Club" has amazing rock/fusion/progressive jamming. Dave later joined Bill Bruford on his solo albums, such as the classic "One of a Kind" with Alan Holdsworth on guitar.

Last edited:
flatrockrecordin, it's Little Feat

Wide Awake, cool to see Dave Stewart mentioned. Those late-70's Bruford recordings (also including Jeff Berlin on bass) are terrific. Dave Stewart also has written two small, inexpensive, excellent and highly entertaining books about basic music theory published by Miller-Freeman.

Back