NAME THOSE OLD NOW OBSCURE BANDS

Weather Report - obscure?

Also, I would agree that Allan Holdsworth is pretty obscure but always has been -- and I for one listen to his music.

Good list,Vease....you too,Dragon-dude.
I can't believe we left out Hot Tuna either.Did anyone mention Mother's Finest? Groundhogs was a good one.Sha-Na-Na?Paul Butterfield Blues Band? These have probably been mentioned.The Firm?How about Stealer's Wheel?Or,the vegetarianistic mother of them all,Love?

Here's a few more..........

Sniff n' The Tears (Driver's Seat)
Redeye (Games)
Los Bravos (Black Is Black)
Ides Of March (Vehicle)
Shocking Blue (Venus)
Skylark (Wild Flower)
Paper Lace (The Night Chicago Died)
The Stampeders (Sweet City Woman)
Focus (Hocus Pocus)...........Great jam!!!
Pilot (It's Magic)
Planet P (Why Me?)
Argent (Hold Your Head Up).............Great Jam!
T-Rex (Bang A Gong)
The Cryckle (Red Rubber Ball)
Vanilla Fudge (You Keep Me Hangin' On)..........Great Jam!
Blue Image (Ride Captain Ride)
Chambers Brothers (Time Has Come Today)
Edison Lighthouse (Love Grows Where My RoseMary Goes)
Every Mother's Son (C'mon Down To My Boat)
Stories (Brother Louie)
King Harvest (Dancin' in The Moonlight)
Steam (Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye)
Lemon Pipers (Green Tamborine)
Looking Glass (Brandy)
Mungo Jerry (In The Summertime)
Free (Allright Now)............Great jam!
Brownsville Station (Smokin' in The Boys Room)
Strawberry Alarm Clock (Incense and Peppermints)

Hoo boy! I spent too much time listening to the radio as a kid!!! :)

Last edited:
You guys are bringing back the memories.
One of my old bands used to do a cover of...

"Full Moon"by Off Broadway.
Anyone remember these guys?
"We gotta beat..."

Do I remember Off Broadway?

Hell, YEAH!!!

Off Broadway is from Chicago (my home) and they still play at local bars and all the summer fests in the Chicagoland area.
I've personally met the guys in the band (all the original members, except for the drummer)... and they're a good bunch of fellows.
These guys still put on a kick-ass show, too!
Cliff Johnson (lead vocals) is still a madman behind that mic, and his voice is still in top-form.
They put out a new CD about two or three years ago (under the name of "Black and Blonde"), but it never went anywhere.
They still ROCK, though! :)

I saw Redeye once, they opened for the Byrds with
Clarence White. The guitarist was very good but I think
he did about an ounce of speed that night.

what is obscure about manowar?
saw 'm live in 2000 and it was actually kinda funny... not good at all but kinda funny... they were still convincing everyone to drink beer the "metal" way and asked women up on stage to show there "titties". Although i had a good laugh they shouldn't be named here...

guhlenn

and oh yeah at the beginning of the show they came ridin' in on motorcycles!!! musta been a long ride ey...

Hocus Pocus - A JAM???????? or do you mean 'great to jam to' - except - you need a flute,accordion,Thijs van Leer,Jan Akkerman,Pierre van der Linden and Bert whatsisname - Goosink?(I'm doing this from memory- Guhlenn, what was the bass player called? ) with you. Absolutely one of the greatest bunch of musicians in rock history - try telling that to the 'kids' today.

btw, Love Sculpture was the Dave Edmunds band I was thinking of, who did 'Sabre dance'.

T-Rex,Mungo Jerry,and Blues Image...wow!
I remember the first time I heard "Ride Captain Ride",backed with "Pay My Dues (?)"....there were just some ridiculously good songs in the late '60s/early '70s.
Did we mention Steppenwolf? They were BIG,and probably no kid today would remember them,except for hearing "Born To Be Wild" on the radio.
I have a feeling that this thread will keep goin' for awhile.......the obscurities are so much fun!

aaaah...those were the days!!!

how bout:

robin trower
grand funk
todd rundgren (utopia)
the pirates

has anyone ever heard of "wadsworth family mansion"? they had a good tune "sweet mary I'm comin home"

marshall tucker
allman bros.
blackfoot
the bubble puppy (hot smoke and sassafrass)

can't believe someone actually mentioned ATOMIC ROOSTER!!! thought I was the only one who ever heard of it!!!

has anyone ever heard "stairway to cleveland" by jefferson starship?

this is a great site!! glad I found it.

Bubble Puppy!!....welcome aboard,Guitarzan.
Utopia was great.....saw them in concert in '74,the full 6 piece band.Absolutely incredible.

Hey,this is off the beaten path,but I couldn't find the joke thread...
What's the difference between a large pepperoni pizza and a heavy metal guitarist?
The pizza can feed a family of four.
Anyway---------------
Anyone remember a band called Elf?

Has anyone ever heard of Stairway to Gilligans Island
by Run 21?
The keyboard player for Atomic Rooster,Vincent Crane is
the same keyboard player that played with the crazy World of Arthur brown and also played with Carl Palmer
who was the drummer in Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

i absolutely love that song fire. when i was little i would drive my parents crazy playing it as loud as possible in my room.

I AM THE GOD OF HELL FIRE ... best lyrics ever...

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to tape "stairway to gilligans island" off a community radio station during their fundraiser. It's a poor copy, but it's still a scream! We were just talking about it aweek or so ago at work, and I brought it in for everyone to hear. We all had a good laugh!

Twist

Guitarzan is obscure enough in itself. Was that a Jim Stafford hit?
Stairway to Cleveland? Would love to hear it, being from there.
I remember Stairway to Gilligan's Island...what a hoot.
Hate to think of Rundgren/Utopia as "obscure"...one of my faves.

Bubble Puppy...great name.

Anyone remember a song called Black Betty? ("Whoa-o Black Betty, bam-ba lam")
Band was something like Razmataz...

I think "Guitarzan" was by Ray Stevens, who made a career of writing and singing humorous songs...

Back