My PERFECT 244 - another Bad Rubber inquiry

Tom, thanks for the great pictorial! We're getting a lot of people visiting this thread so if it helps others, then you had a higher calling than just preparing your 244 for sale. ;)

It takes two (or more) to carry on this kind of instructive conversation. Couldn't do it without your knowledgeable input.

When I post online, it's usually in reference to technical questions, and unfortunately I almost always start out a Seeker of Information (rather than a Provider). But I take very seriously the concept of "Pay It Forward", so I try always to contribute in a way that might benefit a 3rd party who reads the thread now or in the future. I'm gratified if it's working out that way.

Based on this thread, I received an offer to buy my 244 from...FRANCE :eek:. I don't think the deal will work out, but how interesting to hear from someone so far away. BON JOUR, OLIVIER.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for this great info. My 244 quit on me literally 20 minutes ago. I've been archiving my tapes to CD-R and the varispeed is already being set to almost -max to get the correct tape speed. Today, I get a horrible rubbery grinding sound when there is a tape in the machine and the capstan has stopped turning (though I can spin it freely by hand). Time to open her up and hopefully the varispeed is a related problem but that could be electrical.

Unlikely electrical problem. The capstan belt has stretched to the point that it's riding on the outer metal ring and slowing things down. The belt has now either totally slipped off or, worst case, turned to goo.

As I said before, most problems related to these well built beasts is just bad belts, idlers and pinch roller (all rubber related). If one goes, it makes sense to replace all, because they're not far behind.

Feel free to update us on your findings.

I opened it last night and that's what had happened. The belt must have slipped down and then it finally fell off yesterday. It's just about tight enough to hang on now without slipping. I put it back on and it is working but it's definitely time for me to order a replacement. Of course, now I've run out of blank CD-Rs :)

Thanks.

The Purchase

Well, I bit the bullet (tastes like :mad:ld rubber) and made The Purchase from TEAC/Tascam:

a) Upper Ilder Assembly A

b) Lower Idler Assembly B

c) Pinch Roller

Prices remained as they were quoted a month earlier. All in stock. $5 flat-rate shipping to be sent out on Monday. Credit card transaction over the phone with a pleasant female representative. No surprises. No hassles.

I'm amazed these parts are still available, and the ease of purchase is icing on the cake. :D

This brings my cost of repairs to $61.36. My 244 will be like new when I'm done, so I'm hoping to recoup the repair costs in an improved selling price. These units are pretty rare, and every one I've seen for sale online is in the "does not work" catagory. Fingers crossed...

New Parts are In

I received the parts from TEAC exactly one week from the date of order, and just in time for the weekend. Good service and excellent timing :D

They arrived very well packed, and TEAC is a class act in all respects.

I'm surprised that the pinch roller consists of the entire assembly - not just the tire. That whole assembly cost $8+. but each dinky idler tire assembly cost $12+ :eek: 'Hard to understand why... I guess I'll pacify myself by focusing on what a "good deal" the pinch roller is by comparison.:rolleyes:

Here's a "PROOF POSITIVE" photo. I'll replace these components tomorrow, I hope.

new_parts.jpg

I'm surprised that the pinch roller consists of the entire assembly - not just the tire. That whole assembly cost $8+. but each dinky idler tire assembly cost $12+ :eek: 'Hard to understand why... I guess I'll pacify myself by focusing on what a "good deal" the pinch roller is by comparison.:rolleyes:

Here's a "PROOF POSITIVE" photo.

You're lucky. I paid $20 for each of my pinch rollers and and a bit more for the idlers. The shipping was double+ as well. It's much cheaper to order from TASCAM USA head office but, unfortunately, they don't ship to Canada, unless you've got a buddy helping you out (hey Dave! :D ). Had to order from Japan and Canada (still TEAC tho). So point is you've got a steal of a deal.

BTW, nice photo. :)

Hey, Dan ==

I'm sorry to hear how you got hosed, but I appreciate hearing that I didn't (or at least not as much as you :D). That bites.

I love my country--especially its founding principles--but considering our national "politics of the moment", I think I might prefer Canada - despite having to pay double for TEAC parts. :cool:

I'll post results once I've installed these parts.

TomO

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'm actually the french man who contacted our friend Tom about his tascam 244 sale. Nice to meet you all and to get some very accurate and precious information from you !
I think (and I hope) that my post sits right in this thread. If not please excuse me for advance.

I found a machine on ebay, that is in good cosmetic shape, but that has some problems inside... maybe someone has something to comment about this :

First I thought the pinch roller was in great state (good, even shape, good touch). But I made a test play,forw,rew,stop etc.. The take up hubs seem to be sticky (little movement a the very beginning, and then stop).
As I opened it, I saw that the belts were in ok shape. The problem seem to come from the black "control" wheel (wich have an action upon a white piece linked to a potentiometer.) I don't really understand its function, and mine seems to be quite sticky (hard to move). A little white wheel (like a little white pinch roller) has to roll on the non even surface of the black wheel (variable radius shaped path, stops). I think this is called "the control part" of the system.
Anyway, I don't know how, but running my test has led to the fact that the head set (all those moving parts that come in contact with the tape when you press play , plus the pinch roller) are stuck in the "play position" (higher position) so that I can't put a cassette in the machine.
As I saw this a little late, the little shaft that is turning in front of the pinch roller was always in contact with it. This caused the pinch roller to completely melt. The mold matter has been rolling up around the little shaft like chewing gum...
So on the overall, now I don't know the initial problem, and I've a lot more right now!

merci beaucoup et à bientôt !

Maybe you had some of these problems, if so...... please help !

So? What happened with the new parts installed? :confused:
Thanks for asking, TGoFM.

It's done. It's all back together. I runs PERFECTLY.
I'll post photo and details as soon as I can take a picture.

('Not sure why I need to post a picture.
It looks like every other 244, but this one's SPECIAL now
because I saved it :D, wutta dork...)

And wullong/Olivier, I replied to your email offline.

Thanks for asking, TGoFM.

It's done. It's all back together. I runs PERFECTLY.
I'll post photo and details as soon as I can take a picture.

('Not sure why I need to post a picture.
It looks like every other 244, but this one's SPECIAL now
because I saved it :D, wutta dork...)

And wullong/Olivier, I replied to your email offline.

I just love happy endings! :D

Glad we could be of some help to you! ;) Daniel especially!

Cheers! :)

WOW-Boy this thread hit me right between the eyes-THANKS

Hi All, where did the past 1hr+go as I've read thru these interesting posts. I gotta get off this PC so allow me this post to THANK YOU ALL for the PRICELESS INFO.
I too still have 1 TEAC 144 ($842 CASH in Dec 1980 the day John was shot).
1 TEAC 244-which I planned to ping-pong my music tracks--nobody ever told me YOU CAN'T ! the 244 had dolby n.r. But I still loved the ease I was able to record my backup band. I hated midi sequences!
1 TEAC 688 MiDi Studio. After 10 years of not recording-dienfranchized w/ the music biz so I turned my big studio into a trash collection.
Last May, I uncovered my once proud 244, inserted that hi-biased tape=the pinch roller turned to goo !!! My mouth dropped. Ok let's try it on the MiDi-688 Cadalak-anal-log---
You guessed it, I stood over & looked doen as the tape was transported (it moved) the pinch-wheel disintergrated. My heart sank as you could immagine My $2,400 investment, even tho well covered & protected--turned to Gooo. It makes me sick to recount this---but you guys have shown there CAN BE HOPE....
SO I THANK YOU. NOw I better run b-4 the wife notices. LOL
Thanks again,
Don:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::)

Maybe you had some of these problems, if so...... please help !

Well, you've got yourself rubber parts which are severely deteriorated and need replacing. There's no need to pick and choose. You need to get everything done, the pinch roller, control belt, capstan belt, rubber idlers, pretty much everything Tom has done and what generally needs to be done to every one of these old machines. Clean it up and replace.

This even applies to dontaylor's machine. :D

"WOW- Boy this thread hit me right between the eyes -THANKS"

~ Priceless

...THANK YOU ALL for the PRICELESS INFO...you guys have shown there CAN BE HOPE....SO I THANK YOU.
I am truly thankful for all the help freely given here, from Dan/cjacek, DrZEE, TGoFM, Beck, et al. And DonTaylor's happy, empowered comments exemplify the other great benefit of user forums like this. That is, someone in need of help searches and finds the thread, reads it and solves his own problem - or at least finds a starting point for Q & A, just as I did in this outstanding meeting place. I'm really pleased.

When trouble strikes, you think you're "the only one". But somehow you find your way to a thread that's related to your dilemma. You type up your own thread, post it, and all of sudden YOU'VE GOT A PLAN :eek: and if you're lucky, several knowledgeable cohorts looking over your shoulder, keeping you out of trouble :D. My 244 would have been sold for $25 as a parts carcass if not for you guys. Instead, now it's like new and I can't even hear the tape transport in PLAY/REC mode - not at all :D. That's probably better than when it was new...

Much as I love it, I do intend to sell it. I had an interested local buyer, which is how I discovered my "bad rubber". I'm not sure how interested he'll be at my increased asking price (due to the repair costs). Failing that, I expect to advertise on Ebay, though I'm reluctant to get involved with Ebay... We'll see. If anybody here is interested, please PM me. Also, if anyone knows of good places online to sell unique gear such as this, please let me know. As Don mentioned, I've been wondering if an owner of one 244/246 might buy a second for pingponging tracks - something I would have considered back in My Analog Days...;)

HERE'S A PHOTO COLLAGE OF THE FINISHED RESULT :D Ahhhhh!

fini_collage.jpg

Last edited:
That thing is a beauty and well said BTW. :)

Tom, you're very welcome and while it pains me that you're selling your beloved 244, I'm sure that someone, who can appreciate the work done and who will continue to take care of it, will buy it. That's the mark of a true owner of this fine machine. It's def worth much more now than the typical junker you see on eBay and will run like a champ for many more years now.

I think that you should try your local craigslist first but if that fails, go eBay but be very wary of proper packing procedures. After packing, ask yourself the question: Can this machine survive a toss down a flight of stairs or a drop from 6 feet up? Go crazy with the packing.

Thanks for starting this most helpful and well crafted thread. :)

Back