Just how do you get a record deal

I go to a Christian school.
I wore a Faith No More shirt to school in the 8th grade, and to this day in senior year, they still think I'm destined to burn in hell O_O

Not funny? I beg to differ....that's fucking hilarious! I am probably in the minority, and I don't care, but I love to watch "Christians" declare their faith, extoll the virtues of the bible.....only to talk about Harlots and Cocaine being the 2nd prize of the night? What was the best thing all night? Let me guess....hmmmmm, must have been your ability to praise the lord with your gift of music.....that sound right, David?
I can understand why you find that funny. From where I stand, it was beyond cringeworthy. Or at least, it would've been if the poster had actually said "I am a christian". Fortunately, they just said they read the bible and even Keith Richards says he does that.

I completely disagree that this is the worst time ever for music. Is it a really hard time to make money in music? Yes, indisputably.

But the thing is, great music is still being made, and the Internet has made it easier than ever to find that music. If someone has some really good artistic ideas, the barrier for entry for joe schmoe, educated music consumer to get a copy of it is so low.

Yes, this means there is more crap out there, but that also means that there is more good stuff out there, and more importantly, there is more variety of good music out there. There are more niches.
Personally, the '64~'83 period of the 20th century is my favourite era of music. I can't say whether or not more or less good music is being made now because almost everyone I hear say that music is worse now references 'the mainstream' and my tastes, while including that, always went outside of it. The mainstream is but a fraction of total musical output. So I don't claim to know. It could be worse. However one quantifies that.
But I don't think this is the worst period of popular music. 1959~1962 would win that for me, if a gun was put to my head and I was forced to choose. Rossini, St Saens, Schubert and those cats of a few hundred years previous were firing in comparison. :eek:

I need profession help because you're a rambling retard? Lol. Okay, thanks Dr Phil.

Your need for professional help started way before you or I ever joined this forum, and given the troll responses you so often make, it is clear that your issues are purely your own.

Your need for professional help started way before you or I ever joined this forum, and given the troll responses you so often make, it is clear that your issues are purely your own.

Except that you simply can't stop following me around. Right, troll?

The Greg L and Stevie B show has been getting quite entertaining since the late summer. It's kind of like harmonies in 4ths.
And it's remarkably clean.
Catch it here, regularly at HR.com

The Greg L and Stevie B show has been getting quite entertaining since the late summer. It's kind of like harmonies in 4ths.
And it's remarkably clean.

I said something that hurt his feelings a while back, I don't even remember what, and he's had an axe to grind ever since. He keeps my nuts warm though. :D

Hey, it's one of my favourite shows on HR. Honestly, the back and forth banter has me laughing thru the night, post 47 being a classic of the genre.....:cool:

From what I've seen every month thousands of bands are releasing new CDs, but no one is buying other than a percentage of the fans they've managed to coerce into liking them. Even if you have 100 fans who really like your music, it's only going to be the ones that are in love with your music who buy and maybe a few of the ones who just dig it and had some spare cash. There have been a lot of albums I keep meaning to buy, but I forget about it when I do have some money to spare. If you're not hearing about it on the radio several times a week more than likly you'll forget about it unless it's something that you've been excited about for a long time.

I think I was a teenager the last time music was coming out that I was really excited to get and couldn't wait to buy a copy of that new CD. Every one has different tastes. The Internet is flooded with just straight up junk. Everything I've heard has been a cloned from some other band or artist. It rare you come across anything 100% original that's still of the highest quality that true art can offer.

Even if you have 100 fans who really like your music, it's only going to be the ones that are in love with your music who buy and maybe a few of the ones who just dig it and had some spare cash.

Add a factor of 1, and you can make a living!

Greg, I didn't say that more crap being released means more good music. I meant that a greater volume of music released overall means that there will be more good music. Even if a lower percentage of that glut is worth listening to, it's not going to be so low that there is less good music out there. There's just more crap to wade through to get to it (boo hoo!)
Also, there's a lot more niche music available. As someone who enjoys obscure niches, I'm a fan of that development.

It's also a matter of opinion. I think Greg considers almost everything, but what he likes to be crap lol. There isn't anything wrong with that, but it's like that old saying. One mans trash is another mans treasure. I'll read that article a little later seems interesting. It may not be easy to get yourself 1000 True Fans... lol

I think they will discover me, once they can hack into my hard-drive and soundcloud account

Hi Phil!

I've been away from the net for a few months. Busy with the holidays and stuff. I'll be working on some new stuff soon. Got a new guitar and trying to master some new solo/shredding techniques before I start working on new material. It's as simple as that old saying, practice makes perfect.

Back on topic. You know if you utilize the right resources available to you, you can actually gain a lot of fans and recognition. I just went through 36 google pages of flatulated stuff spammed all over the Internet. All I did was share news and stuff with several websites and forums, especially ones that would appreciate my strange niche of music. I didn't spread the word on it, other than those few websites. It just kind of kept spreading out over the last 3 or 4 months. Seems to be growing. People find it and show people who they think would like it as well. So far nothing has come out of it, but I can see it growing to be much larger than it is now.

yeah there isn't anything wrong with it. just using it as an example of how everyone will have a different opinion about what's good and what's not. We all know when something sounds like complete shit no matter if it's a style we like or not.

I've noticed that the hating everything except your favorite bands thing tends to be more pronounced in punk fans. I actually linked Greg's stuff to one of my friend's who mostly listens to classic-style punk (Cute Lepers, whoever the British equivalent of the Ramones was, etc.), and he was unimpressed.

I've noticed that the hating everything except your favorite bands thing tends to be more pronounced in punk fans. I actually linked Greg's stuff to one of my friend's who mostly listens to classic-style punk (Cute Lepers, whoever the British equivalent of the Ramones was, etc.), and he was unimpressed.

My stuff isn't really "punk" though. If anything, it's more like early American punk. Brit punk was mostly stupid. I personally liken my own stuff more to Turbonegro or Motorhead...who are considerably more plain "hard rock" than anything else. It's more of a shitty bastardized mash of punk/rockabilly/metal. Lol. Punk snobs are indeed the worst though. Well, maybe rappers are probably the worst because they kill people, but punk snobs are pretty closed minded - even moreso than I am.

Back