Just how do you get a record deal

Jude2010

Okay I'm working on a mixtape/album and so far the first two tracks, in my opinion, are going to catch whoever is listening's attention. Not to sound cocky but I'm sure it will be noticed, hopefully.

So I was wondering how do I go about obtaining a deal. Right I know for one I need a demo cd made, but what is a demo CD? Is it just a shore clip of each song ive recorded?
After that, then what? I send it in? But to whom and do I need a sort of formal letter with it? Containing my contact details and a bit of information, like I'm going to a job interview? Haha

Now let's just say I got a reply and they like it just how will it continue from there?
What happens next?

I'd be very grateful if any one can clear this up for me

BTW I'm 16 and live in Ireland ( not really the best nation for aspiring Hip-Hop/R&B artist, like myself, to get noticed

So I was wondering how do I go about obtaining a deal. Right I know for one I need a demo cd made, but what is a demo CD? Is it just a shore clip of each song ive recorded?
After that, then what? I send it in? But to whom and do I need a sort of formal letter with it? Containing my contact details and a bit of information, like I'm going to a job interview? Haha

Now let's just say I got a reply and they like it just how will it continue from there?
What happens next?

I'd be very grateful if any one can clear this up for me

BTW I'm 16 and live in Ireland ( not really the best nation for aspiring Hip-Hop/R&B artist, like myself, to get noticed

most demos that will be sent to labels should include a few of your best songs, (most people agree that the industry standard is three.) a legit photo, an artist bio, some press clippings/ what people are saying, and of course contact details. i dont suggest putting something handwritten in there.

as far as who you send to- labels that are about whichever type of music you play that have an unsolicited demo acceptance policy.

now what to do if they reply- if they reply they'll probably tell you what to do next. probably some sort of meeting where you'll discuss finer details.

i've never sent any demos but those are basically the unspoken guidelines.

First secret? Don't get all blue-eyed and think just because you sent a demo the AR men are gonna start jumping for joy and offer you a million bucks. It just doesn't happen that way.
Play live as much as you can. Make contacts...the right ones. Hang around where they hang out and let them see a lot of you. It's 80% public relations and 20% music. It might take you a few years of doing the circuits waiting for that lucky break but It's up to your will-power to hang on to the "dream".

i know well, here in Ireland i'd say with a population 0f 4.5 million and it not really being a music producing nation. my chances would be helped a bit i hope?. (not trying to sound confident)

confidence= good
cockyness= bad

sidenote: I say don't stress over a deal or demo at this point. It can be distracting from the music, and harmful to your creativity. Not saying you should'nt have goals, goals are great to have. just like someone told me on here the other "dont put the cart in front of the horse"
write songs, build a fan base, and most important do because you love it :)

i wish you the best :drunk:

I used to think it was the "send in the tape thing too". It isnt. Its just like American Idol. You've got 30 seconds to impress someone and thats it. If you do send in a tape its the same deal. If it doesnt grab the guy in 30 or 40 seconds it goes in the garbage most likely. Most of us here are just doin our whole production thing for fun, and the outside chance something might catch on somewhere, but good luck!

To paraphrase Horace Greeley, "Go internet, young man!"

That always sounds great in this day and age when you first start out...but let's face it...how many CDs are you going to really sell on the Internet without some serious marketing/promotion...???
For that you need lots of $$$ and industry connections.
That's what the record labels/industry people have and control...love it or hate it.

It's real easy to set up a website and put a "CD" up for sale, but don't hold your breath waiting for the $$$ or offers to come rolling in...it'll make you blue. :rolleyes:
There's millions of self-produced CDs already on the Internet, trying to do the same thing...and few if any are succeeding.

The whole "who needs the record industry, we can do it ourselves" myth has turned out to be the biggest joke of the last 20 years!!! :laughings:
Yet it's still sold to newbies who go running out building home studios and doing it all themselves with the silly notion they'll be discovered on My Space or some similar web music site. :D

Don't get me wrong...I'm doing my own thing in my own studio too...but I know it still takes industry clout to get you noticed and/or to get your music $old...if that's your goal.
I keep it at it with the idea that even if I never, ever see any real $$$ from my music, it's still something to do just for the pleasure and it keeps me off the streets. ;)
If I get lucky and sell something...and yes, luck is really the main ingredient, not talent or the Internet...then hopefully I'll have something for my retirement years. If not...I'll be in my studio amusing myself until I'm too old or dead.

I've been resisting the notion...but at some point I may start using my studio in a commercial capacity, since I've spent a lot of time and money building a pretty decent space, and I could get some $$$ back out of it that way (nothing major, most small studios starve)...but for now it's just my personal little pleasure palace.

I used to think it was the "send in the tape thing too". It isnt. Its just like American Idol. You've got 30 seconds to impress someone and thats it. If you do send in a tape its the same deal. If it doesnt grab the guy in 30 or 40 seconds it goes in the garbage most likely. Most of us here are just doin our whole production thing for fun, and the outside chance something might catch on somewhere, but good luck!

Exactly.

Yeah, I mean it sucks, but that seems to be the case you know.
Come to think of it, I don't know of anyone who was signed off of the first demo they send out alone. but KEEP GOING.

The whole "who needs the record industry, we can do it ourselves" myth has turned out to be the biggest joke of the last 20 years!!! :laughings:

It's not any more of a joke than hoping to sign a record deal in which you are in debt until your third album....if you make it that far.

I know next to nothing about getting a record deal, just whatever I've read here and talking to a few people.

Play gigs and do so often. Get a following; people coming to see YOU!! People who buy your music. That's what a record company wants. I doubt they are too much into the artist development stuff anymore, so they want artists who are already making money and can walk into a deal and be productive.

Go to SXSW, it's probably too late this year, but maybe next year.

Join Taxi.com and submit songs.
Buy the book, The Songwriter's Market and look for record companies. This book will tell you who accepts submissions and how to submit.

The only advantage I see with a record company over doing it yourself is they have the ability to market you better. Hopefully, they are plugged into larger music venues, radio stations, or whatever else there is to get you wide exposure.

It's not any more of a joke than hoping to sign a record deal in which you are in debt until your third album....if you make it that far.

True.

Gettting record deals is no guarantee of big $$$...and many bands have gotten a "deal" and they never went anywhere or saw a dime.

AFA the DIY/Internet approach....yeah, it's great that you CAN do a lot yourself these days that use to require a record company...it's just that for awhile, lots of anti-record company people were preaching the great benefit$ we would $ee once the record companie$ di$intergrated.
Well...not too many people have seen these promised benefits...and all in all, the record companies still exist and control most of the biz.

Back