Joemeek -> Promeek -> TFPRO

regebro said:
Uhm. Sorry, but no it shouldn't. Firstly there are no "should" at all when it comes to this, and secondly, the standard is to not use dashes or underscores in domain names unless you have too.

So he can make a tribute page about Joe Meek, the man, at joemeek.org, without you needing to be even remotely upset about that.

Now, if he makes a tribute page about TFPRO products on that domain name, then you at least have the right to be annoyed. :)

Speaking on "tribute" pages, on http://www.joemeek.net/ they now say they are changing the color. Thats one step forward, I guess?

Well, the ruling is if you are using a Trademarked name but not for commerce, the owner of the Trademark can petition Internic and get the name back, bases on a hearing.

Now, exactly what jslator is doing with this tribute has yet to be determined. Is it a tribute page for the Joemeek products, or for TFPro and Ted Fletcher? Until such time as we know what this will be, our lawyers feel this is not a site that will trade in commerce any products under our registered mark.

As such, our lawyers advise us to petition Internic, so I take what they say as good advice. If we do win, we do...If we don't, we don't. In either case, Joemeek is a registered Trademark belonging to PMI Audio Group, and we will continue to look to protect it from those who use it for anything other than trade.

As for them changing the color, well yesterday they said they are not. So today, they are being served a cease and desist at a local London Tradeshow, and our lawyers are in court today getting an injunction to have the products pulled from the show. So, TFPro are not changing the color. In fact, they have listed themselves in the Tradeshow directory as "Joemeek"! Like I said, pretty big balls these guys have... :) :)

Hmmmmm...

Sounds like they're willing to go to the mat. I wonder what got them so motivated? :confused:

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

"I should have been a plumber."
-Albert Einstein-

Re: Hmmmmm...

Tom Cram said:
Sounds like they're willing to go to the mat. I wonder what got them so motivated? :confused:

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

-Albert Einstein-

You did Tom, you inspire me......

alanhyatt said:
As such, our lawyers advise us to petition Internic, so I take what they say as good advice.

No, seriously, I don't think Internic cares. They don't get involved in that stuff. You're probably thinking of ICANN. Even they don't really get involved, but they do sanction a number of dispute resolution bodies.

In either case, Joemeek is a registered Trademark belonging to PMI Audio Group...

Not in my country it isn't.

...and we will continue to look to protect it from those who use it for anything other than trade.

I would think that you would be more concerned in protecting it from people who use it for trade. That's what TFPro and Ted Fletcher are doing. Not me. But if you do want to go after me, you might also want to go after these folks too: www.meeksville.com

A word of advice, Alan. If I was you, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Nor would I bother spending any money on lawyers dealing with this. :cool:

alanhyatt said:
Well, the ruling is if you are using a Trademarked name but not for commerce, the owner of the Trademark can petition Internic and get the name back, bases on a hearing.

Now, exactly what jslator is doing with this tribute has yet to be determined. Is it a tribute page for the Joemeek products, or for TFPro and Ted Fletcher? Until such time as we know what this will be, our lawyers feel this is not a site that will trade in commerce any products under our registered mark.

As such, our lawyers advise us to petition Internic, so I take what they say as good advice. If we do win, we do...If we don't, we don't. In either case, Joemeek is a registered Trademark belonging to PMI Audio Group, and we will continue to look to protect it from those who use it for anything other than trade.

As for them changing the color, well yesterday they said they are not. So today, they are being served a cease and desist at a local London Tradeshow, and our lawyers are in court today getting an injunction to have the products pulled from the show. So, TFPro are not changing the color. In fact, they have listed themselves in the Tradeshow directory as "Joemeek"! Like I said, pretty big balls these guys have... :) :)

Yup, people who own a trademark have the right to the corresponding domain name. This was established after the initial run of people who bought up nike.com, and cocacola.com etc., and sold them back to the companies who owned the trademark for tens of millions.

?

You did Tom, you inspire me......

Uh, not you Alan...THEM...Them. What got THEM so motivated to ignore your cease and desist letters. It seems like they want to duke it out.

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

-Albert Einstein-

Tom Cram said:
Uh, not you Alan...THEM...Them. What got THEM so motivated to ignore your cease and desist letters. It seems like they want to duke it out.

I was wondering that myself. They're either getting very poor legal advice, are dumb as hammers, or they have some kind of trick up their sleeves. Should be interesting.

A word of advice, Alan. If I was you, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Nor would I bother spending any money on lawyers dealing with this.
Of course you don't want Alan to take you to court. It's in your best interest.
Trademarks and copyrights are recognized across the world. Every country is a party to the treaty that establishes this. That's why China is embroiled in controversy for its rampant CD and software piracy. If Ted Fletcher sold the Joemeek name to PMI, he sold it to PMI everywhere.

Actually, I just looked it up, and I was wrong. Trademarks, unlike copyrights, do not transcend national borders.

Re: ?

Tom Cram said:

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

-Albert Einstein-

Sorry Tom, I took that wrong. I do not know what they are thinking. The ownership of the mark is very clear. They are causing confusion in the market so we have no alternative but to do what we have to do. I honestly can't say why they are doing what they are doing, other than Ted Fletcher just can't get over the fact he lost his company.

I know he has made some big claims about his and Joe Meeks relationship, yet there is not one picture of Ted Fletcher and Joe Meek anywhere. I did a review on the JMAP(Joe Meek Appreciation Society), and there are all kinds of photo's, but not ever a photo of Ted and Joe.

I am beginning to wonder......:eek:

cominginsecond said:
Yup, people who own a trademark have the right to the corresponding domain name. This was established after the initial run of people who bought up nike.com, and cocacola.com etc., and sold them back to the companies who owned the trademark for tens of millions.

But is that true for .org too?

And jslator: Why would the owner of joemeek trademark, making joemeek stuff, go after a domain called meeksville that is about Joe Meek, the person? Now, going after a domain called joemeek.comething that is about a competitor to joemeek products, that is something else completely. I'm sure you understand the difference.

cominginsecond said:
Of course you don't want Alan to take you to court. It's in your best interest.

No, that wasn't my concern. I just don't want Alan to waste his money. Let me put it this way - I quite enjoy busting Alan's balls from time to time, but I'm not actually evil or anything.

jslator said:

I would think that you would be more concerned in protecting it from people who use it for trade. That's what TFPro and Ted Fletcher are doing. Not me. But if you do want to go after me, you might also want to go after these folks too: www.meeksville.com

A word of advice, Alan. If I was you, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Nor would I bother spending any money on lawyers dealing with this. :cool:

It would easier if I knew your name...

First of all, the worldwide registrations cant be complete until we receive the US and EU mark. We have received the EU Mark today, so now the application is in all the EU Countries. It will also be done in Canada as well soon enough.

In either case, we have had first right of use in Canada since 1995 and can prove that, so it will get registered there as well.

Yes, I am concerned about protecting it in trade, and I am also concerned about protecting it from slander or to promote other conflicting products, which by the way I am not saying you are doing this.

As for Meeksville, they are not using a trademark name, they use something else, but he is also very misinformed of the dealings of Joemeek. Ted Fletcher was not the sole creator of these products.

As for spending money on lawyers to protect our mark, with all due respect, that is our business and right. Opinions are just that, what a panel or judge thinks can be very different than what we expect them to think.

The fact is, the Joemeek names is ours. I have been involved with this since 1995 and expect to continue for some time based on the products we are designing now. If you feel you have rights to acquire the joemeek.org name for what ever purpose you want it for, then so be it. We have rights as well. Hey, it business...nothing personal...:cool:

Jordan (jslator), if you want to create a REAL website devoted to information
on Joe Meek, using a domain name that'll avoid confusion with Alan's
business would be admirable. Joe Meek's troubled personal life aside,
he truly was a brilliant producer/engineer who's pioneering work deserves
more recognition. Forgetting the legalities for the moment,
the gentlemanly thing to do is to pull the plug on it out of respect to
Joe Meek's legacy, and the hassles Alan has had to endure
over the "name thing" with Ted Fletcher. If it's a sincere effort to have a
Joe Meek site, then asking Alan's permission beforehand is proper etiquette.

Chris

chessparov said:
Jordan (jslator), if you want to create a REAL website devoted to information
on Joe Meek, using a domain name that'll avoid confusion with Alan's
business would be admirable. Joe Meek's troubled personal life aside,
he truly was a brilliant producer/engineer who's pioneering work deserves
more recognition. Forgetting the legalities for the moment,
the gentlemanly thing to do is to pull the plug on it out of respect to
Joe Meek's legacy, and the hassles Alan has had to endure
over the "name thing" with Ted Fletcher. If it's a sincere effort to have a
Joe Meek site, then asking Alan's permission beforehand is proper etiquette.

Chris

Well thank you for telling me Jordan's name. The outcome is that Jordan and I have had a converstion, and I hope he left with the same thing I did, and that is we are cool.

He explained to me what the site would be about, and based on his word, I am fine, and will be willing to help him if need be. Jordan and I have had our differences, but perhaps we have reached a new level of civility with each other. That would make the whole issue worthwhile.

So, on to beigger and better things, like me getting the new Joemeek units out the door!!!!!

Thanks everyone...

And here I kept reading thinking there was bound to be some flamings and mud slinging...and it was all handled so nicely. You are all turning into a bunch of nice guys. I...I *sniff*..I think I am going to cry.

Brutus

Most impressive!
I was hoping that would be a website to look forward to.
Would be especially curious about any "forgotten" recording or
creative techniques Senor Meek was using.

Although his gear was high quality, my understanding is that he didn't have that many devices as other studios and made a lot
of his own equipment.

Chris

I think I purchased the very last VC6Q available anywhere from Guitar Center. It had a broken connector but I got a good price so I bought it anyhow and sent it off for repair to PMI Audio Group in California. They returned it the same day they got it and it works great. With service like that I am gladd that Alan Hyatt has ownership. I would also be interested in the trade up thing.

John Ellis
http://www.ampcast.com/johnellis

Back