Joemeek -> Promeek -> TFPRO

christiaan

FYI: I just ran into this. The gear still looks a whole lot like the original Joemeeks.

TFPRO NEWS
Ted Fletcher's designs re-brand
With the recent sale of the 'JOEMEEK' trade mark, Ted Fletcher's range of products have been forced to undergo an extensive re-branding. All of Teds products are now found at the new www.tfpro.com web site.

There is now a 'support Ted Fletcher' site, available on www.joemeek.net. This site is a forum for recognition of Ted's designs. There is a guest book where you can sign up with your comments, and suggest the site to your friends. Please go to the site, and get the full story.

Other news
The TFPRO P3 is now shipping in Europe, UK shipments start in two weeks. There is still a chance to win one online. The competition has been extended; so, if you have not entered already, sign up now on tfpro.com.
Sounds Expo
TFPRO will be showing all their new products next week in Wembley at the 'Sounds Expo 2003' trade show. Be sure to drop by the stand if you are there!
If you no longer wish to receive email from tfpro, please go to tfpro.com, login, and click on 'newsletter' at the bottom of the main page.

(c) 2002 Danny Fletcher, for JMUK Ltd.

I don't get it. Somebody buys the Joe Meek brand, but does *not* prevent Ted Fletcher from setting up anothr co,pany, and selling the same stuff with the same looks, but under his own name?

Is that correct?? If it is, how stupid is that!?!

regebro said:
I don't get it. Somebody buys the Joe Meek brand, but does *not* prevent Ted Fletcher from setting up anothr co,pany, and selling the same stuff with the same looks, but under his own name?

Is that correct?? If it is, how stupid is that!?!

I'm guessing that whoever purchased the name figured they could save a little cash by not hiring a lawyer.

jslator said:
I'm guessing that whoever purchased the name figured they could save a little cash by not hiring a lawyer.
I assume you guys didn't know that Alan Hyatt (president of PMI Audio) owns the Joemeek name, and made ProMeek drop theirs...

Speeddemon said:
I assume you guys didn't know that Alan Hyatt (president of PMI Audio) owns the Joemeek name, and made ProMeek drop theirs...

Even if he's dropped the "ProMeek" name, Ted Fletcher still seems to be doing a whole lot of things that I sure wouldn't want him to be doing if I had purchased the "Joe Meek" name. I hope Alan didn't pay a lot.

Hang on there guys.... Rome was not built in a day. These guys are scrambling to do and say what ever they can to try and keep their business alive, and still associate it with Joemeek.

Now we have hired lawyers and they will do what they need to do, but as you know, you just can't do things in one hour. We did purchase the Joemeek name, and many of you know that I have been involved from the beginning. In fact, here is a quote from Ted Fletcher himself about me...

Hi XXXX,
I have sent this nest of emails to Alan Hyatt who is Mr Joemeek in USA......I'm sure he will come back to you immediately.

Kind regards, Ted Fletcher Managing Director, Fletcher Electroacoustics Ltd. tel +44 1803 321934 (direct) fax +44 1803 321922 "If it sounds right, it IS right", Joe Meek, 1964

Even they knew I was the driving force behind the company

Here are the problems. First of all, I now own the Joemeek Trademark Worldwide and intend to bring back Joemeek to all its glory. They are using my mark without my permission and not acknowledging that the mark is registered and owned by me on their site. In fact, they are using joemeek.net!!!

They have been sent a cease and desist notice that they seem to be electing to ignore. I can't go over there and just shoot them...or can I? :eek:

All I can say is that I know all about the details and problems with Ted Fletchers designs. He has cheapened them over the years and now they are nothing of what they once were. All of the Joemeek models are being redesigned for a reason. This will be spelled out soon enough on our web site, but we all know that what TFprois doing is all very illegal. We will get them shut down as we did Promeek. I can't stop a product called TFpro unless it is palming or passing off its products to look and act like Joemeek, then they are in violation. I leave this to the attorney's.

I promise that the new Joemeek products will be so much better sounding, more features, and better build quality that the market will know the difference immediately. The end result will be that Joemeek will prevail and TFpro will go out of business just like they did on Joemeek.

So, that is the story. How you perceive it is up to you....

I'm confused...

So, then who started the Joe Meek brand? You or Ted?

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

"I should have been a plumber."
-Albert Einstein-

alanhyatt said:

They have been sent a cease and desist notice that they seem to be electing to ignore. I can't go over there and just shoot them...or can I? :eek:
Possible answers:

"Shooting in studio's ain't new anymore"

"If Phil can, then YOU can!"

"Hey, Joe Meek shot himself, maybe you should give ol' Ted a 'hint' " :eek:

Yeah i know... I'm being grossly out of line here, but that's what European jokes are about, eh? ;)

Speeddemon said:
Possible answers:

"Shooting in studio's ain't new anymore"

"If Phil can, then YOU can!"

"Hey, Joe Meek shot himself, maybe you should give ol' Ted a 'hint' " :eek:

Yeah i know... I'm being grossly out of line here, but that's what European jokes are about, eh? ;)

Well I have no issue with Ted Fletcher being in business. He has every right to be, but he failed with Joemeek! So now he needs to get over it, move on and not copy or infringe off what he lost. If Focusrite or other manufacturer purchased the Trademark assets, they would look to protect themself as well.

All I ask is that TFpro change the color and layout so it is not confused as a Joemeek product, and stop infringing on the Joemeek Trademark.

I think in the end the lawyers will have their field day at our expense. The products, well they will speak for themselves and in the end I know both in Europe and USA that Joemeek will be the superior product.

alanhyatt said:
I think in the end the lawyers will have their field day at our expense.

The purchase agreement should have expressly dealt with color schemes, use of the "Joe Meek" name in the context of advertising and providing services, transfer of domain names, etc., etc., etc. Maybe you could have even worked-in a non-competition clause. I think the moral of the story is that a little more money spent up front on lawyers often saves you from having to spend a lot more on them at the end of the day.

jslator said:
The purchase agreement should have expressly dealt with color schemes, use of the "Joe Meek" name in the context of advertising and providing services, transfer of domain names, etc., etc., etc. Maybe you could have even worked-in a non-competition clause. I think the moral of the story is that a little more money spent up front on lawyers often saves you from having to spend a lot more on them at the end of the day.

You have to understand the UK Law and the manner to which the Trademark was offered for sale before you comment like that.

The law works very differently here in the US. It is here that I will have much more power in protecting my Trademark. In the UK, I will prevail on several issues, and have to litigate the others. So, there really is no moral at this point. Your points are well taken, but the situation regarding the sale of the mark is much different in the UK.

Alan,

Well I hope you get this all straightened out and can once again focus all your attention on making great products.

Keep up the good work!

Later,

Joel

joel77 said:
Alan,

Well I hope you get this all straightened out and can once again focus all your attention on making great products.

Keep up the good work!

Later,

Joel

Joel,

That is why I bought the company. I was tired of seeing Joemeek made more cheaply each and everytime out. I was repairing them at a rate of over 15% failures.

Yes, the Joemeek units sound good, but new Jomeeks will sound better, be better built, have more usable features and still cost the same, or maybe less. I will bring the Joemeek name back to the status it should have by doing the designs the right way!

"back to the status"

Please remember to include the Grey Poupon with each new
Joe Meek product then Alan!
Remember the joke that hell is where the English are engineers? Or was it their cooking? Or both?
Just kidding, I like much of that stuff a lot like "tea time",
fish & chips, Jaguars, and Elizabeth Hurley. :)

Glad to hear it's staying affordable for us commoners.
Jolly good show 'ol chap.

Chris

c7sus said:
Any chance we could assemble those up here in WA?

We could sure use the work..........

I gotta second that!!

Alan,

Any thoughts on when you will be re-releasing the Joe Meek line. I was all set to buy one and had my wife talked into it, when I read you were pulling the entire line...AARRGGHHH. So now I will have to wait. I am sure it will be worth it.

Thanks,

brutus

OK, thanks for the clarifications Alan. It makes perfect sense, and means that Joe Meek products still occupy a pretty high place on my wish list. :)

I am very informed of the old Joemeek designs by Ted Fletcher. I do not want to slander the man, or print out tests, graphs and other documentations on tests we had done on his circuits.

All I will say is that you all know me not to be a liar. I am very straight forward and very direct...as you know with everyone. The new Joemeek products, and I have been listening to the circuits is 20 times better. I promise, Ted Fletcher will be a thing of the past once the new units are out.

Sorry to have to make you all wait, but the wait will be more than worth it. I stake my reputation on this...even though my reputation is squat with a few Brits right now, but Malcolm Toft is way more ledgendary than Ted Fletcher will ever hope to be, and Malcolm is a way better designer than Ted. Alan Bradford who is doing the Joemeek redesign is just amazing both Malcolm and myself. The latest Alan Bradford designs before he joined up with us is HERE

Now all I can say is he has outdone himself by leaps and bounds. The entire details of our test results and findings will eventually be posted, but not until such time as out products are out. We do not want to give Ted Fletcher the knowledge to fix his own problems. The gear will speak for them self....:D

well good... now that alan won't jump up my anus for saying this,...

I tried the Meek MQ3.... and it sucked @ss!!!!!

It was incredibly nasty. The "compressor" sucked donkey balls like nobody's bidness, and the pre was as bad as, if not worse, than the stock pres on my old 50 dollar behringer mixer.

aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!! :p

there... glad I could get that out...

:D

WATYF

WATYF, as I also own a Behringer mixer (used as headphone amp!), to be fair, the pre's on the VC6Q on down are actually pretty good and superior to the Behringer's by a long shot.
Keep in mind too that certain mikes do better on certain pre's.
The compressor took me a few weeks of experimentation to get the hang of, and it's capable of excellent results.
For a home recordist like myself, just using its compression section for mixing at first is a lot safer than medium or hard driven compression going in.
The EQ section was at least as good as the Soundcraft M series
mixers, which are a step above the Mackie VLZ Pro's.

It pays to be patient with gear, it took me a looong time to figure
out that the Shure SM57 does well for my voice.
Only having experience with Bellari (yuck!) and Behringer (oi!)
pre's lead me to believe it sucked... The mike that is. :)

Chris

Back