Im a sucker for big Tascam meters

Drive to Nova Scotia from Maine via New Brunwick. Drive to North Sydney, Cape Breton island, Take ferry to Argentia or Port aux Basques.:) Thanks.

So what did you find at the radio station ?

Vancouver to Vancouver

Hey Daniel,

I live here in Vancouver WA and should you ever want to get to Seattle I could meet you there and pass over any deck you order. Ship it to my place and I'll drive it up to Seattle. You drive down and pick it up and work on the border crossing.

regards, Ethan

Just to jump into the big meter arena here are some:

Attachments

• br-20.jpg
    br-20.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 83
  • atr700.jpg
    atr700.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 84
What a great offer Ethan, that would calm my nerves:)
Let's see what Daniel say about this idea.
What model are those meters ?

Seattle boat show is coming in January.

The left is from a Tascam BR-20 and the right is an (dare I call it that) Ampex ATR-700. Both halftrack 1/4".

--Ethan

Teac by another name.

This Ampex came to me in poor condition. Rust as you can see in the photos in the below listed thread.

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=204716&highlight=atr-700

I like the deck actually quite a bit. Built in 4 input 2 channel mixer. It fell off a shelf and dented a car but was unhurt. Built like a tank. Sounds good too.

But it is so heavy that I don't use it for much. I use the BR-20 for remote locations. Being smaller and lighter.

The atr is a (as I'm sure you know) a Teac built for Ampex. Discrete signal path for the most part except for an IC in the mic preamp. Some day I will upgrade the IC. Oh, it is transformer input on the pre.

Mostly it was fun to fix it up.

Here is a bit more of the rust. Now it has nice oak panels.

http://arafel.org/audio/atr-700/

Regards, Ethan

Hey Daniel,

I live here in Vancouver WA and should you ever want to get to Seattle I could meet you there and pass over any deck you order. Ship it to my place and I'll drive it up to Seattle. You drive down and pick it up and work on the border crossing.

regards, Ethan

Ethan, great of you to offer. Thank you so much! The main problem is that it's a 6 - 7 hour drive (both ways), not to mention extra hours for unseen circumstances and possible border wait and also I'd be hesitant to drive during this wicked and unpredictable weather, not to mention having to take a whole day to do this trip, I can't really do it. :(

Well i guess i havnt done my home work on the differance in the two.
I have never got into looking at them real close

The older 44 Herm is very similar to 3440 soundwise and set-up.:)
Newer 44-OB has more features and sounds just like analog should do = alive.

I had to wake this thread up to show off my 42B. It's in great shape. Some "other" brand is sitting on top of it.
My old location recording rig from the mid-late '70's is below the 42B. Enjoy

Edit... by the way, the two track deck in my location rig is a Teac A-7300-2T, the Teac version of the much discussed Ampex ATR-700. Nice machine.

Attachments

• IMG_6595resize.jpg
    IMG_6595resize.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 3371059_location.jpg
    3371059_location.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Nice collection Richard:)
And yes that 7300 is a breeze to play with, thanks for the pictures.
I used the 7300 as a mixer nearly as much as a mix down machine. The built in 4x2 mixer came in quite handy for location gigs as above. Take the output of the 4x2 into the buss ins on the little Model 2's to add inputs. Worked very nicely.

Do you remember this oldie ?

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/VintageTX/TeacA-3340S030.jpg

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/VintageTX/TeacA-3340S029.jpg

Hells yeah! I've got one myself. Picked it up from a friend (Madcoyote) for practically nothing. Nice guy, he got me into RTR with this machine.

I just salvaged a 42B from my company's old studio (a music publishing company). It's pretty much free I think (or I can use it at least for as long as I work here, and even if I leave, I think I'll be able to buy it for really cheap or probably just have it). But I'm pretty sure the heads are shot.

I just got it, so I don't even have a take-up reel or any tape yet, though I'm 99% sure it's fully functional.

It'll probably need calibration, and the heads will probably need relapping. I'm no expert, but the heads certainly don't look pristine, which I'm guessing is not a good sign!

Back