I Wanna Kill - general dumbassed delinquency from Greg

Doesn't your sg have P90s? Mine does, and I've never owned one with humbuckers...how do you think they compare? I guess it's apples and oranges what with different manufacturers and stuff, but in general...? I'm guessing a meatier, more mid-rangey sound?

My SG is an Epi and it never had P-90's. I replaced the stock junk Epi bridge no-name humbucker with a Gibson 57 Classic and Gibson pots and wiring. It helped a ton. I never use the neck pickup so I left it alone. I like the lower output humbuckers like the Burstbuckers and 57 Classics. They have a dirty vintage tonality that hotter pickups can't touch.

I had a P-90 SG a long time ago, but it got stolen. I might put one in the SG now that I have the LP doing the humbucker heavy lifting. I like single coils and they suit my kind of music very well. Before getting the LP I'd typically do the SG with the humbucker on one side and my Strat with singles on the other. That's a good combo for a varied but big kind of collective rhythm sound. Single coils through a crunchy tube amp are the sound of vintage punk. I like to mix in some humbucker tone though.

Ok, wow. That's wierd 'cause I thought I remembered you talking up P90s (could've been many years ago - might've been someone else entirely!) and I guess I assumed they were in your sg. I too like the strat/gibson tag team sound. I had a strat for a while, but now only the sg w/ P90s. So now you have a mexi-strat, a gibson LP and and epi sg...not bad at all! A wide range of sounds at your disposal.

Ok, wow. That's wierd 'cause I thought I remembered you talking up P90s (could've been many years ago - might've been someone else entirely!) and I guess I assumed they were in your sg. I too like the strat/gibson tag team sound. I had a strat for a while, but now only the sg w/ P90s. So now you have a mexi-strat, a gibson LP and and epi sg...not bad at all! A wide range of sounds at your disposal.

I do talk up P-90's! I like them. I just don't have a geeter loaded with them. I don't know why. I should. They're the perfect blend of single coil bite and humbucker fatness. I think just talking about this has confirmed to me that I'm putting a P-90 in my Epi SG. Strat + P-90 SG + LP would be a killer arsenal.

Please Kill Me!
Man, I learned some things I really didn't want to know about alot of my old heroes when I read that.

Nice, man. It's good to hear your stuff again. I'm probably gonna be the only outlier here, so take it for whatever it's worth to ya.

First off, great song. Love the slow-down. Good stuff.

For some reason, I remember your guitars being a lot more bite-ish. Much cleaner. I'm pretty sure this is the effect of your direct-in set-up with your old rig. The new amps being mic'ed... Gotta say - make the guitars a bit heavy in the low-mids - at least on my monitors... (I now have some Adams A7X's for monitoring) If it were me, I'd scoop the 300-400HZ range on the guitars.... or more-so if you're doing it now. I kind of missed the clean clarity of your old guitars, but these ones have a lot more meat to em', for sure. They sound flippin' awesome, but just a bit muddy in the low-mids for my taste.

Glad to have your music runnin' through my system again, man. It's been too long.

Nice, man. It's good to hear your stuff again. I'm probably gonna be the only outlier here, so take it for whatever it's worth to ya.

First off, great song. Love the slow-down. Good stuff.

For some reason, I remember your guitars being a lot more bite-ish. Much cleaner. I'm pretty sure this is the effect of your direct-in set-up with your old rig. The new amps being mic'ed... Gotta say - make the guitars a bit heavy in the low-mids - at least on my monitors... (I now have some Adams A7X's for monitoring) If it were me, I'd scoop the 300-400HZ range on the guitars.... or more-so if you're doing it now. I kind of missed the clean clarity of your old guitars, but these ones have a lot more meat to em', for sure. They sound flippin' awesome, but just a bit muddy in the low-mids for my taste.

Glad to have your music runnin' through my system again, man. It's been too long.

Thanks for checking in.

I'd been using a real amp for about 2 years before this new one, it just wasn't mine. I was using a hot-rodded 50w JCM 800 with a 4x12 loaded with Greenback clones. I got tired of hauling my shit to the practice space to record guitars, so I got my own big rig. This new amp is a 100w JCM 900 MkIII which is voiced similarly to the 800, but not exactly the same. And it's fucking loud. The biggest difference is the probably the cabs I'm using though. I'm not using the Greenback clones anymore. I've got different speakers in these cabs, but getting an authentic Greenback cab is in the works. I think these new guitar sounds are a lot more powerful than what I was getting before. That 800 was bad ass and I loved it, but this new amp is kind of like that thing on steroids. I am still learning it though. I'm pretty happy so far, but there's always room for improvement. These sounds are a lot meatier than my previous sounds. The heavy duty Les Paul as opposed to the Strat and SG is probably contributing to the thickness too. I'm not totally used to it yet either. :D

20120421_134518.jpg

Good thing you got your Vans in that shot. Otherwise we might have been questioning your punk cred! :D

I usually try not to clutter up the board with nothing constructive to say, but I'll give praise where it's due. This song is great!

The superb guitar sound is what first struck me, G. It's just got the right bite to it ... all the grit anyone would want with none of the harsh harmonics that makes folks involuntarily wince when listening loud.

Your middle change approaches "pop sensibility" ... you getting softer in your old age? :)

Obviously not, because the solo section that follows is absolutely raucous and killer.

Nice work, dude.

Kev-

Hey thanks a lot Kev. I'm glad pretty much everyone is okay with the guitars. I'm still learning this new gear.

Great job Greg (as usual), the guitars sound great to my ears man, along with everything else in the song. No nits from me really, other than the bass may need just a bump in volume, but that's being picky......Super job on the guitar sounds too, & like anything else, you'll get better at it with time (not saying anything's wrong with this, just sayin'....)....

Is that an Ace Frehley trick/lick I hear at about 2:18 with the pickup selector???? Oh yeah, one more thing, I know you don't like hair metal, but the into lead thing has an Iron Maiden sound/feel to it dude, all that stuff in the toan thread has rubbed off on ya.....:)

Again, great job all 'round on this, but really, I don't expect anything less from you....

Page 6? You've heard pretty much everything about the tune by now except this:

You're trapped inside genre. Break out.

The second verse is a repeat of the first, but the third verse actually goes somewhere. You could ditch the second verse, pull the third verse into the position of the second, and then go from there. If it was me, I'd write a new and better third verse. :cool:

Okay, I relent. You've heard this before probably - that tempo shift is inspired. I aspire to stuff like that. I haven't come close so far, but if I continue to listen to this a few times more, I just might internalise it.

No mix comments, aside from the fact that it's merely faultless. That's not praise necessarily. :cool: It just means you've attained the genre. That, and bring the vocal up a decibel.

Finally DLd this at home. Loved the energy. Great playing. Things sounded awesome.

The only things I suggest would be to raise the lead vocal and lead guitar just a hair.

Someone said something like the guitar tone on this one has a little stronger low-mid section (something like that). I agree. Can't decide which one I like better. Which probably they're both equally good.

More verb on this than I'm used from you. Or is that just because there are a couple of stops in the middle so I can hear it easier?

Good old HR....banning talented recorders...again

I wish harmony central would buy the mp3 clinic :)

Back