I Wanna Kill - general dumbassed delinquency from Greg

Thanks. Yes.
Guitar - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro Goldtop
Amp - Marshall JCM 900 2100 MkIII modded by Voodoo Amps
Left rhythm and leads - Marshall 4x12 1960a w/ Celestion G12T-75's.
Right rhythm and clean gtr in the breakdown - Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Vintage 30's.
One SM57 center off-axis on both cabs.
Just one rhythm track on each side and leads and the little clean guitar just off center.

20120421_165536.jpg

20120502_212720.jpg

Freaking awesome
well crafted well played well mixed
the dogs bollox great work greg

Greg, thanks for the set up snaps. I'm beginning to understand mic'ing a bit better now I have an actualy guitar speaker cabinet. I've learnt from Ido's set up & now from yours.
A simple wuation if I may? What type of plectrum do you use? I ask because my tone is heavily influenced on a fanged bass pick & I can't seem to get my head or sound around a thin/lighter pick.

Freaking awesome
well crafted well played well mixed
the dogs bollox great work greg
Thanks kip. :)

Greg, thanks for the set up snaps. I'm beginning to understand mic'ing a bit better now I have an actualy guitar speaker cabinet. I've learnt from Ido's set up & now from yours.
A simple wuation if I may? What type of plectrum do you use? I ask because my tone is heavily influenced on a fanged bass pick & I can't seem to get my head or sound around a thin/lighter pick.

Ray, I'm not too particular about picks. I do have preferences, but I usually just grab whatever's on the desk or floor near the guitar. Having said that, I like plain ol Dunlop Tortex Standard picks. They don't break and last a long time. Where I get fancy is with the thickness. If I'm playing something that's blazing fast, I'll use the yellow Tortex (.73mm). It's a little thinner than what I like, but when the song is too fast for straight up downstroking it's little bit more give makes flying through powerchords while maintaining constistent strumming much easier than a heavier pick. That's just me though. But usually I use The Tortex green (.88mm) or blue (1 mm). Really, any one of those three is just fine with me in pretty much any situation. For my surfy stuff that needs a really clean attack I use a heavy plastic pick, like a Fender Celluloid. They got bite, but they'll chip and break. And for bass I use a Tortex purple (1.14mm).

Dunlop Manufacturing :: Guitar Picks :: :: Tortex® Standard

And don't forget Ray, with your amp, you're gonna have to be loud. :D

Yeah man. Listened at work earlier, but couldn't comment. Now listening on my system. Really rocks. I should use your tunes as reference when I'm mixing mine because, even though we don't play the same style, your mixes are pretty much what I go for when I record. The mix is perfect, man.

Yeah man. Listened at work earlier, but couldn't comment. Now listening on my system. Really rocks. I should use your tunes as reference when I'm mixing mine because, even though we don't play the same style, your mixes are pretty much what I go for when I record. The mix is perfect, man.

Thanks a lot dude. :)

That is a pretty nice track. Nice to see another old timer not giving up on the "roots" music. Guitars are pretty meaty. I enjoyed that. Hope to get my stuff that solid but that is coming shortly.

Wish i could offer up a bit more but i am just getting back into this so i would just be bullshitting you. I'll try again in a month or more. Good stuff.

Really nice work on the lead breaks there greg, very tasteful and appropriate.

As for the rest, just typically pretty awesome performances and construction, arranging & mixing.

I find mixing in many ways to be like herding a stampede of bulls. In your mixes the beasts are all tidily corralled into perfectly rectangular pens and there's no poop or anything left lying around

That is a pretty nice track. Nice to see another old timer not giving up on the "roots" music. Guitars are pretty meaty. I enjoyed that. Hope to get my stuff that solid but that is coming shortly.

Wish i could offer up a bit more but i am just getting back into this so i would just be bullshitting you. I'll try again in a month or more. Good stuff.
Thanks for checking it out. :)

I've been seeing your "punk rock cover" thread and been meaning to check it out. I'll get to it today.

Really nice work on the lead breaks there greg, very tasteful and appropriate.

As for the rest, just typically pretty awesome performances and construction, arranging & mixing.

I find mixing in many ways to be like herding a stampede of bulls. In your mixes the beasts are all tidily corralled into perfectly rectangular pens and there's no poop or anything left lying around

Lol! That's pretty funny and a nice compliment. Thanks. :D

I guess I'm pretty lucky with my lead playing in the sense that I'm simply not good enough to go too far and get overly wanky. :p

Shit is tight.

Nice axe too. I just got a LP (Studio) last year... It was eating away at me that I'd been playing since I was 10 and just never owned a LP. It really has a different feel than my other guitars and I'm still kinda getting used to it. Don't know what to think, though I know most <$1000 Gibsons are hit-or-miss like mexistrats....

Shit is tight.

Nice axe too. I just got a LP (Studio) last year... It was eating away at me that I'd been playing since I was 10 and just never owned a LP. It really has a different feel than my other guitars and I'm still kinda getting used to it. Don't know what to think, though I know most <$1000 Gibsons are hit-or-miss like mexistrats....

Thanks.

This is my first real LP as well, and I too am still getting used to it. It's so fucking good though. I'm very happy with it. I also have a MexiStrat and it's actually the only Strat I've ever liked.

Sounds frickin good Greg - great energy and strong tune. Nice change for the 'Once in a while... part' too. I wouldn't change a thing in the lead part either - lead parts can be so hair rock wanky, but this stays firmly on the side of punk.

Dropbox is blocked at work. But if I listened, I'm sure I'd say, "Great job." ha
Lol. Check it out when you get a chance. :D

Sounds frickin good Greg - great energy and strong tune. Nice change for the 'Once in a while... part' too. I wouldn't change a thing in the lead part either - lead parts can be so hair rock wanky, but this stays firmly on the side of punk.
Sweet, thanks. Yeah big arena rock leads aren't my thing.

This is my first real LP as well, and I too am still getting used to it. It's so fucking good though. I'm very happy with it. I also have a MexiStrat and it's actually the only Strat I've ever liked.

Crap pic, but this is mine.

lp.jpg.

Awesome! Love the red. You don't see too many straight up red LP's. I like the pickup rings too. Nice geeter!

Here's mine:
20120421_140059.jpg

20120421_134518.jpg

Doesn't your sg have P90s? Mine does, and I've never owned one with humbuckers...how do you think they compare? I guess it's apples and oranges what with different manufacturers and stuff, but in general...? I'm guessing a meatier, more mid-rangey sound?

Back