How much did you pay for your most expensive axe?

How much did you spend on your most expensive guitar? (US Dollars)

• Less than $200 (never buy an axe you couldn't also use as firewood)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • $200 - 500 (hey, Ibanez makes some pretty sleek stuff)

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • $500 - 750 (I wish I was big)

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • $750 - 1000 (Girlfriends? pfft, guitars are so much more fun)

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • $1000 - 1500 (Ooo, quadruple digits)

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • Holy crap, over $1500 (I sold my son into slavery for it)

Votes: 70 37.4%

• Total voters
Well, it was almost 20 years ago. Maybe I killed the brain cell that had that actual number? I know we got a pretty good discount off the retail price at Thoroughbred in Tampa.

$2500 is USA pricing for an LP Custom - well it was. Studios never got anywhere near that. You can buy four or five used for that.

Originally Posted by ido1957 View Post
$4500 with tax for my 2014 Gibson Les Paul Custom.
Note - that's Canadian dollars...

Why would you even consider paying that amount of cash for a bit of wood with strings on? Mental.

Because I wanted it, I had the cash, and my wife said it was ok ;)
I have no qualms about spending that kind of cash on myself considering:
- how much others spend on their hobbies, "toys", tools, trips, motorbikes, vintage cars, and so on...
- I have spent all of my hard earned cash supporting my family for decades - food, clothing, housing, trips, activities, cars, insurance, taxes, utilities, college and so on...
- I haven't bought a new guitar since 1996 (20 years)
- It's a beautiful, well crafted, tone monster that surpasses any guitar I have ever played or owned
- I owned one when I was in my 20's and had to sell it for rent after I got off the road. I swore someday I would replace it which I did.

Originally Posted by ido1957 View Post
$4500 with tax for my 2014 Gibson Les Paul Custom.
Note - that's Canadian dollars...

Because I wanted it, I had the cash, and my wife said it was ok ;)
I have no qualms about spending that kind of cash on myself considering:
- how much others spend on their hobbies, "toys", tools, trips, motorbikes, vintage cars, and so on...
- I have spent all of my hard earned cash supporting my family for decades - food, clothing, housing, trips, activities, cars, insurance, taxes, utilities, college and so on...
- I haven't bought a new guitar since 1996 (20 years)
- It's a beautiful, well crafted, tone monster that surpasses any guitar I have ever played or owned
- I owned one when I was in my 20's and had to sell it for rent after I got off the road. I swore someday I would replace it which I did.

Nothing wrong with any of that IMO. :thumbs up:

Nothing wrong with any of that IMO. :thumbs up:
It's fucking obscene to spend that amount of money on a stringed plank, IMO, YMMV, ETC. I very much doubt it sounds better than a similar guitar at a quarter of the price, IMO, YMMV, ETC.

The only justification that counts is "I wanted it". Why you would waste that amount of money is beyond my ken.

It's fucking obscene to spend that amount of money on a stringed plank, IMO, YMMV, ETC. I very much doubt it sounds better than a similar guitar at a quarter of the price, IMO, YMMV, ETC.

The only justification that counts is "I wanted it". Why you would waste that amount of money is beyond my ken.

Jealous ^^^^^^

:laughings:

I could have spent more if I had waited until 2015 (Long and McQuade don't haggle on price either) with tax it comes to 5826.45:
LPC.jpg

I don't see any problem with spending whatever you feel like on something you really want and can afford.
Treat yourself and enjoy it. :)

I'm just curious how much better a $5000 LP sounds & plays compared to one of their $2000 LPs...(same model)....???
Like...where does that extra $3000 go to?

Unless there were some significant differences...I would probably opt to still spend the $5000...but instead by 2 (or even three) of the less expensive ones.

150 bucks for an all original 53 Gold top.
But in all fairness that was 20 years ago with a busted headstock.:D

A Martin D-28. A pile. I can't see spending more than a grand on an electric. I've got a few nice ones, the most expensive being a Gibson SG Classic.

The only justification that counts is "I wanted it" ......... Why you would waste that amount of money is beyond my ken.
two diametrically opposed statements.

I spent 1500 on my Stinnett .... but it's a straight-out custom git of which there is only one in the entire world so 15 is actually kinda cheap ........ and yes, easily worth it.

two diametrically opposed statements.

I spent 1500 on my Stinnett .... but it's a straight-out custom git of which there is only one in the entire world so 15 is actually kinda cheap ........ and yes, easily worth it.

Man, thats cheap as chips...:)

Man, thats cheap as chips...:)
he'd only built two at the time and so had no idea what he should charge ..... by the time he'd figured out it should be around 4k I'd already made a deposit and so he was a man of his word.
That's what I would have done but very many wouldn't have ...... so I really respect him for that.

he'd only built two at the time and so had no idea what he should charge ..... by the time he'd figured out it should be around 4k I'd already made a deposit and so he was a man of his word.
That's what I would have done but very many wouldn't have ...... so I really respect him for that.

From memory and the spec on that guitar I would have been about 2k sterling for that.

It was neck through construction yes?

Back