How much did you pay for your most expensive axe?

How much did you spend on your most expensive guitar? (US Dollars)

• Less than $200 (never buy an axe you couldn't also use as firewood)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • $200 - 500 (hey, Ibanez makes some pretty sleek stuff)

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • $500 - 750 (I wish I was big)

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • $750 - 1000 (Girlfriends? pfft, guitars are so much more fun)

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • $1000 - 1500 (Ooo, quadruple digits)

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • Holy crap, over $1500 (I sold my son into slavery for it)

Votes: 70 37.4%

• Total voters
Gibson ES-335

I've got two early 1980s Ibanez Artists I bought used. One I got for $300 and the other was $400. I've been jonesing to buy a Strat just for the variety in tone. I also would like to get a PRS so I could still have a thick sound but would be easier on my back than the heavy Artists.

My Ibanez Artists play and sound as good as any Les Paul I've played, so I don't feel like I'm playing "cheap" guitars-- even though they didn't cost that much.

I paid $350 for a Gibson ES-335 28 years ago at a pawn shop. Didn't even have enough money at the time so I had to layaway for 6 months. When I took it out I got an offer for $900. I think its worth about $5K now. It is a 1972 Model Cherry color. An amazing guitar. Definitely a keeper.

I paid $350 for a Gibson ES-335 28 years ago at a pawn shop. Didn't even have enough money at the time so I had to layaway for 6 months. When I took it out I got an offer for $900. I think its worth about $5K now. It is a 1972 Model Cherry color. An amazing guitar. Definitely a keeper.

I was in a band with a guy who had a cherry 335, it was a mid 70s, and I loved that thing. I've been looking for a 335 that I liked as much as that ever since, but they have all disappointed. I wasn't overly fond of the cherry, but it was one of those that not only fit like a glove and sounded incredible, it just felt like it was of such a high quality build that it was worth every penny of whatever they wanted to charge for it. Now, if I found one that fit the bill like that, I couldn't afford it if I traded everything I own.

I've seen some people name some pretty heavily priced stuff on here, so I'm just interested to see how much people are blowing on their guitars :). Me? $650 for my Ric 620 in almost perfect condition -- but I buy all my guitars used and cheap for the most part.

Most costly: Godin LGX-SA for about 1800. (Yeah, they've gotten considerably cheaper since then...)

Best: 1991 Gibson ES355 B.B. King model for 1600.

I'm a firm believer that it's not what you play it's how you play it. What a more expensive instrument gives you is amazing tone and outstanding intonation on every fret. What you do with that is what really matters.

Nice guitars make me want to play them more often, and sometimes just playing a nice guitar puts me in the zone where my playing ups its game a bit. I've got a bunch of great gits now, and my GAS is officially over. Topping or equaling what I already have is pointless.

Even if you give up music totally...you still have the urge.

The only time GAS is officially over is when you're dead...or temporarily on hold when you are dead broke.

Lol. Possibly. All I know is, it has been a huge amount of time, effort, hassle, and yes, fun, getting to this point. I may look, and go 'OOOH!' but I won't really, really, want it enough to go through the time, effort, hassle to get it. I don't even bother looking at electrics now. I have 9, covering all the necessary tonal bases. It would take a boo-teek luthier hand-made acoustic to make me drool at this point, but that ain't a gonna happen in this lifetime.

Besides, I just spent a small fortune on a new souped-up iMac. I never buy on credit, so it will take a bit of time to absorb the cost of this beastie.

I have 9, covering all the necessary tonal bases.

I thought the same thing around 7-8....I'm up to 17 electric guitars at the moment. :facepalm:
The only thing holding me back right now is I'm running out of studio wall space to hang any more....but I've been looking at a couple recently. :)

I've got only four that I use very regularly, and a few others that go untouched for years collecting dust on stands. My go-to-four are perfect for anything I'd wanna do. No guitar GAS here....although I do keep my eyes peeled for that one sweet deal on that one LP Custom that will come along one day.

But amp GAS, that's a different story. I like amps better than guitars.

I only play one sax because it's the only way to consistently play in tune .... the vast majority of sax players play out of tune and part of that is saxes ALL vary all over the place from note to note as far as tuning goes.
You have to lip some notes up while dropping others and that is all to different degrees.
So I play my alto Super Action 80 and nothing else.

I feel much the same about guitars ..... I have a primary ax that gets all my playing for live work, the Stinnett.
All my other gits ..... ummmm 14 of 'em .... get used from time to time but I play the Stinnett better than I play the others so I use it on all gigs .... in the studio I'll use the others but only occasionally live.

But that does NOT mean I don't have GAS ..... I basically want every guitar I see!
Amps too!

:D

I thought the same thing around 7-8....I'm up to 17 electric guitars at the moment. :facepalm:
The only thing holding me back right now is I'm running out of studio wall space to hang any more....but I've been looking at a couple recently. :)

haha, tonal bases? I have 5 "good" electrics all of which have two hot humbuckers in! (the Ibanez has a single coil too). I generally only use one type of sound. So I only really need one guitar and a spare.

I was at that point a few years ago. I started feeling claustrophobic in our flat, so I sold a bunch, some good, some meh, two that had some bad mojo from my past. That is what I mean about hassle. I took a beating on almost all of the guitars I sold, and dealing with potential customers, well, let's say I had a job in sales at one point in my past, which made me want to go back to school again. Then there were the lowballers, who I just wanted to reach through my computer monitor and throttle. So, when the GAS process starts up, I just play the whole scenario through in my head, and the GAS goes away.

Nice man, just going by the price, I figured it was a Lester....I have one too, but it's an economy version...:laughings:..Mine's a 2014 Studio in desert burst....

Nice guitar dude.....Details (year, p'ups, etc) & let's see some more pics...

I'll post some more pics later. It's an '86 reissue of a '59. These are also known as prehistorics. It is non-weight relieved and made by what would officially become the custom historic division in the early 90s. It has Tim Shaw PAF reissue pups, same as in my '85 LPC, but two sound totally different as far as Les Pauls go. This one is a little under 9 lbs. The custom is under 10 lbs. and the '98 standard is a tree.

I really like yours miner, I like the lack of binding and the colour. Get rid of that plastic bit of vandalism on the front and it would be even better IMO!

Seeker's is obviously wicked, but that sort of thing is an "investment guitar" much like buying a Rolex or artwork.

Back