How much did you pay for your most expensive axe?

How much did you spend on your most expensive guitar? (US Dollars)

• Less than $200 (never buy an axe you couldn't also use as firewood)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • $200 - 500 (hey, Ibanez makes some pretty sleek stuff)

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • $500 - 750 (I wish I was big)

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • $750 - 1000 (Girlfriends? pfft, guitars are so much more fun)

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • $1000 - 1500 (Ooo, quadruple digits)

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • Holy crap, over $1500 (I sold my son into slavery for it)

Votes: 70 37.4%

• Total voters
I think I paid around $1600 in 2000 for my Taylor acoustic. Everything else has been under $500 that I still have. After the first of next year I'm going to buy the ONE guitar. At this point its probably going to be a Gibson 339. Yeah, it'll be four digits.....hopefully with a ONE on the first number.

$60 on a 1980 Memphis [by Gibson] Mustang clone but with no switches & 3 knobs: independent p-up controls + tone.

AUS$300 for a Bruno Royal Artist. I think my wife spent more than that on the Fender 12 string acoustic she bought me but she won't say.

I don't appear to have bought a guitar in the seven years since I last posted in this thread...

Oh wait, yes I have... bought a friend's LP Standard, 90s era I think, when he was short of a quid and needed to move some gear... $2000.

GF bought me a Maton EA80C acoustic for last year's birthday... they go for a touch under $3K I believe.... pretty happy with that!

I don't think I want to add it all up... scary...

£40 for a Harley Benton acoustic! Comedy price I know, but it's a great tool to have when working on songs for people.

I paid $350.00 for my '73 Strat in 1980 and $100.00 for my '81 Hagstrom Swede from a pawn shop in about 1991 or 1992, don't remember exactly. I haven't had them appraised but I know they're worth a lot more. I wouldn't sell them unless I was absolutely desperate. I also have a 1957 National lap steel with case that someone gave me many years ago. Actually, he gave me two identical steels and I gave one to my brother. His was appraised at $1200.00 and mine is the better of the two. He has used his to record with and says that it sounds really good. I haven't tried mine yet.

I've seen some people name some pretty heavily priced stuff on here, so I'm just interested to see how much people are blowing on their guitars :). Me? $650 for my Ric 620 in almost perfect condition -- but I buy all my guitars used and cheap for the most part.

You got Ric 620 for $650!? I am super jelly right now. Not only that I can't even get ANY Ric at my country, no-one will even ship it here. No Ric for me (sadman.jeypeg)

USA BC Rich Mockingbird 40th Anniversary KOA. $2,400, which I gladly paid. I think people were paying up to $4,000 when they first came out in 2008. They made 40 of them . . . I manged to grab number 14 last year. Don't think there's any left out there, although there is a couple of 40th Seagulls and Bitches left.

Suds . . .

I paid $1750 for sh left handed Hofner (German made) 500 62 Re Issue Base Guitar (Beetle Base) in 2003 &
Left handed new 1996 Fender USA Standard Stratocaster FMT Aged Cherrie Sunburst finish for $1120 in 1997
Think they both go for simular price today (not selling though)
Guitars have gone up in price in Australia now!

Until recently I'd only paid just under 600 quid for guitars cos that's all I could justify the expense of.

$1200 for a Duesenberg 49'er : Duesenberg 49’er (I got the honey colored one)...
...which isn't bad considering they sell for about $2k new.

My other "expensive" guitar is a Fender '52 reissue Tele. That cost me about $750 back in '95...but now I guess they're around $1600 new, so mine has certainly appreciated over the years.
I don't play it much at all...it's still like new overall, but it does have one small chip on its lower side, and a couple of surface smudges, though hardly noticeable.

The second most valuable guitar I ever owned was a '61 musicmaster that I bought for $15 and sold for $50. :(

I got my Rick 330 new off the wall at cost + 5%, so like $700.

My most expensive is the LP studio which was like $3200 on the wall, but I think we paid $2500 for it.

All of my other guitars are less than $200 each even after pickup replacements.

Back