Votes: 27 1.9%
  • Peavey

Votes: 104 7.5%
  • Anything but a peavey

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • other

Votes: 316 22.7%

• Total voters
Fender Pro Reverb! I love this thing....fantastic clean tones, and great distortion all in one . Even on the 1/4 power setting ( 12.5 Watts) it is way loud!! Never had a problem with it yet.
Jason

i'm one trade away from the perfect amp - but i dont know what it is yet so i'm waiting. believe it or not my first amp was a bassman 100 silverface amp head with the monster bassman cab - that thing FRIED my house's circuits, i had to get rid of it - now i have a fender roc-100, much more manageable. but i'm looking to get away from the hybrid - hmm so many pure tube amps to choose from for fender, i dunno...

94 MESA tripple rectifier. not only is it a good year quality wise, it also has the chrome chassis and black diamond plate and blue light(most have black control surface, chrome diamond, and red light). i havent seen any other tripple rectifiers like mine yet. i am never going to get rid of this amp. :)

and of course i have to have the MESA 4x12 straight cab with slanted baffle board and chrome diamond plate on the sides.

that cab is damn heavy.

i've been contemplating getting the MESA road king head since it is so versatile. but until they make their reverb sound as thick as a fender reverb, i will not be buying one.

MESAs whole ideology is that you shouldnt have to turn anything to 10 to get a good sound. with the road king, i turn the reverb to 10 and still dont get a good sound out of it. aside from the reverb weakness and the switching lag of it, its the best amp ive ever seen.

4 completely independent channels with 4 seperate reverbs and settings to use loop 1, loop 2 or both. selectable speaker outputs per channel (A, B, or both), selectable rectifier per channel (sillicon diode or tube), selectable output tubes per channel, it also has the ability to trigger external midi switches and things. this amp is so close to perfection, its a shame their reverb is super lame. :(

my fav would have to be Marshall. For duribility on the road and sound IMO they can't be beaten. I have a fleet of em. 2 jcm 800 50w from about 1987, an old 100w JMP w/ master volume (correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is from 1973) It's a bit hard to overdrive but nice clean and powerful, a jmp 900 100w 2 channel ( the weakest of the bunch), and I just bought a Jmp-1 preamp.
I also have an old ADA-mp1 for the rack and love it. the versitility and the sound are great. I generally use many different sounds in my live rig so rack mount is the way to go for me.
But one thing one must say about the Marshall is that next to Peavy it is the 2nd most bulletproof amp. You can kick it down the stairs and still play a show with it. ( nobody hurt me for using peavy and marshall in the same sentence)

Hi,

I answered other, as I have a 1973 Traynor YGM3 (20-25W tube 1 X12 Combo), a 1976 Garnet Pro 200 Super Head (40W, need to find a good cabinet for it), and an early 90s Peavey Bravo combo (25W, 1 X 12). The Peavey is a nice little combo, great tone, and I have never had any reliability problems with it. The Traynor is off being recapped (it is 30+ years old). I like the Peavey better with single coils, the Traynor sounds better with humbuckers.

Kostask

This may sound crazy, but I love my Fender Pro Junior. All tube (except for the rectifier), 10" speaker, 1 volume, 1 tone knob. 15 watts. This baby screams. I rarely turn it up past 3-4 at home (I live in an apartment) because the neighbors (not other tenants but next door) complain. All tube distortion, can use it in band practice, brand new for less than $300. I also used to own a Fender Princeton Chorus (2x10, 51 watts). I still cry when I remeber the tone of those 2x10s. Beautiful amp, solid state, just not enough umph for playing in a band. Great for recording. Doh!!!

How many of you out there have sold your favorite amp because you were too young to know that size (wattage) doesn't matter when it comes to recording. I sold an old Fender Bandmaster head and cab (2x12 Jensens) because it didn't have the same power or distortion capability as my friend's Peavy Mark III (early 80s and I was still a teen). Actually, selling that Bandmaster deserves two or three dohs. So Doh!! Doh!! Doh!!

Peace, Jim

every1 seems to hate crate here
im only 14

but i have a crate GT1200H through a blue voodoo cab loaded wit vintage 30s
and live....it sounds real good.

my backup is a Marshall MG50dfx to a Vintage Crate 2x12 cab loaded wit vintage 30s

ive played boogies b4...they have insane distortion...
but i felt the crate having much more sustain.

i got little feedback on the boogie
on the crate, i had tons (i love feedbacks because I play alot of Randy RHoadsish stuff)

but thats what i think

Give Crate a Chance

I understand crate has a bad reputation, but after playing tons of marshalls and a few fenders, I now own a crate. The fenders were nicer than the crates but i couldnt afford them, as for the marshalls, if its not a tube amp from marshall than it might as well be a peavey. The solid-state crate amps are way better than the solid-state marshalls.

yeah ss crates are better than ss marshalls
the boogies ... when i played a little solo on it....i didnt get much sustain
for the crate i had plenty (i used the same guitars on both amps)

and the gt1200 head sucked wit the standard crate cab
i had to get bv

systmovadown said:
every1 seems to hate crate here
im only 14

but i have a crate GT1200H through a blue voodoo cab loaded wit vintage 30s
and live....it sounds real good.

my backup is a Marshall MG50dfx to a Vintage Crate 2x12 cab loaded wit vintage 30s

ive played boogies b4...they have insane distortion...
but i felt the crate having much more sustain.

i got little feedback on the boogie
on the crate, i had tons (i love feedbacks because I play alot of Randy RHoadsish stuff)

but thats what i think

I have had 3 different Crate heads: A gx120H, GLX1200H, and a BV120H. Out of the three I liked the Blue VooDoo the best, but it only slightly compared to a Mesa Boogie when I had my BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer in the effects loop. The only head that I played out with was the BV120H; it went loud enough, but I had the volume on about 7 to 8 to get it up to live volume. Doesn't go to 4 ohms which is crap if you ask me. Some Guitar Center know it all guy was trying to tell me it's alright to set the crate to 8ohms and plug the cab in which is set to 4ohms; but that shows how stupid alot of music store employees are. Mismatching ohms is not a big deal when it comes to solid state heads, but tube amps made to be matched correctly ohm-wise. The two other solid state crates would not go loud enough to keep up with my band and sound good at the same time - it would just start to break up in a bad way because the cheaper solid state heads had alot less head room. After finally finding a 5150 for $550 used at music store, I was able to put it on layaway before anyone else got to it - happened to me before but it was sold hours after the AM post of the head on their website. Solid state crates are better than solid state Marshalls in most cases. As for one thing, a good tube amp is going to sustain for ages more than a budget ss head, and have alot more head room as well as volume. You just have to deal with tubes; that's something alot of solid state lovers are afraid of. But if Crate floats your boat then more power to ya. :)

p.s. I hear ya on the Vin 30's - they kick ass :p

i use a peavey classic 30 for studio and live and it's never failed to deliver.

some amps i have owned/used that are my favorite:

Silvertone piggyback-my first borrowed amp, i blew the thing

Musicman hd-50 w/ a 12". Beautiful "limiter" distortion and tone

Sunn Model-T- from the late '60's. handed down from 3 friends. I replaced the tubes and the ground cable. I used it for bass. The thing smokes.
Seymour Duncan Convertible-atari technology!!

Nolan (HiWatt copy)100W head-louder than anything i've ever played.

Kustom black tuck n roll 1x15-this thing smoked for guitar, and with the purple jewel light, looked cool.

I would take a vox ac-30 or a pre-80's fender anything too!

Fender/Roland

Love the power of the Marshall amps and the Drive By Truckers convinced me of their versitality as well in a great show in Ohio last year, but overall I've never heard anything as rich and versatile as a Fender DeVille; don't own one yet but love them to death when I hear them and that's the amp I'll buy if I ever want to spend some major coin on a tube amp.

As far as solid state amps with features/effects as a part of their makeup, I think the Roland Jazz Chorus 55 is a great little amp; the one with two 10 inchers, not the monster 110. This amp was designed for jazz guitar and you see it played a lot, but I've also seen it used by lots of r &b artists, rock bands, country acts, and even folksingers who plug their acoustics in to use the effects or just get as clean a sound as you can without an acoustic amp. Pretty versatile little amp, great sound, and you can usually find them for about 160 bucks or under used at MusicGoRound or ebay.

Dbt....

cropchecker said:
Love the power of the Marshall amps and the Drive By Truckers convinced me of their versitality as well in a great show in Ohio last year, but overall I've never heard anything as rich and versatile as a Fender DeVille; don't own one yet but love them to death when I hear them and that's the amp I'll buy if I ever want to spend some major coin on a tube amp.

funny you should say that i'm looking at a deville 410 for 400 cash i think i may go ahead and get it ....i also dig th truckers ,not many people i know are into them but everyone i turn onto them really likem ...later

(sorry to veer from th thread ) :D

Back