Votes: 27 1.9%
  • Peavey

Votes: 104 7.5%
  • Anything but a peavey

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • other

Votes: 316 22.7%

• Total voters
Marshal JCM900 50w - I like it better than the 100w amps because it sounds more tonal, the distortion at high levels is cleaner, has more sweetness in the feedback.

Mesa Boogie V-twin preamp for direct recording

My amp is a PRS Harmonic Generator, which is cool, but only 70 watts, so it does not get as loud as I would like. Down at the shop we have a couple of Polytone MiniBrutes, which are classic jazz amps, and which have a great clean sound. They don't even have a distortion channel, but we don't really need that there.

Our shop manager has a Dumble that I would give up my first born child for, but he already has five daughters so he just is not interested. If I could afford it, and he was willing to sell it, I would buy that Dumble in a heartbeat. I WANT that amp.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I have a Line 6 AX2, but I really want a Peavey 5150 II modded.

The line 6 is great for recording, but not live......however, I will make it better by getting a cab with classic 30's.

THEN, I will buy the Peavey when I have enough money.

Pretty genius, eh?

Hard2Hear said:
Technically Marshall is also a Fender follower, since the original Marshall amps were designed off of the Bassman circuit.
I use exclusively Fender amps, except for he occasional Vox AC-30 or Orange amp when I can get ahold of them.

H2H

AC30 is an incredible amp! My friend owns one.

I have been playing thru a Fender hot rod deville 2/12 for about a year now. I really like it alot. I got it cheap too....it was almost brand new and i picked it up for $300.

The best sounding amp I ever owned , for clean tone, was an old Fender super reverb 4/10's....clean tone to die for. I got into heavier rock and traded it in on a 100watt marshall. It was too load...but had one hell of a distortion if you could handle wide open volume. I used to put a quilt over the speaker cab and turn it around to face the wall (that may be why the drummer I played with is deaf in one ear now)....it was still too load for the smaller clubs.

But, crank that fucker up wide open (everything...including all tone and presence)...and plug a strat into it and you could nail the hendrix vibe.

I use a MosValve stereo amp that runs through dual 2x12 slant cabinets with EV in the bottom and a Celeston in the top.

Ed

Peavey made some good amps in the '70s. My friend has one and I wish i would of bought it when I had the chance. It's a 212 all tube, 60watt tweed combo. I forgot the model number but it had some great tone!
Old Marshall Plexies are also awesome. That's what Alex Lifeson would play back when Rush was cool. He had the best tone on that live "All The Worlds A Stage" album.
Oranges are also awesome sounding amps. I have another friend that has an old combo and it rocks.
I currently own a Fender 212 DeVille and it has the best tone! What made all the difference in the world was shitcanning those Sovtek tubes and replacing them with JJs. The bad part about the DeVilles is that if they didn't have a 5 year warrenty, they wouldn't sell. I've had mine 3 years and it has been in for repair 6 times! But I love the tone of that amp. It has everything I need. I play through NO effects. I do have a Crybaby wah-wah but I hardly ever use it. For rock, i use my Les Paul. For mellower stuff or country, I play my Telecaster. The Fender DeVille has everything I need tone wise.
My friend also has an old Airline. It's got an 8 inch speaker, 3 tubes, an on/off/volume knob and a tone knob. When we recorded our demo, I used it on a couple of tracks and it was pretty cool.
Solid state sucks. I have a Marshall 8080 valvestate and it's ok for a hybrid but, I like an all tube amplifier.
Line6...I won't go there!

I used to have a musicman 210 combo the one with the "deep switch" wish I had never sold it. Then it was a 1969 fender twin. I loved it but it started to nickel and dime me and became unreliable(much like my 72 dodge dart). Now I have a roland JC-77 I could'nt be happier, well maybe a 120 would bring a little more happiness.

I miss my Dodge Dart. most reliable car I ever had. Never had to fix it. Fender twins are nice. I know a guy who has one and it sounds beautiful with a Tele.

amos

Played thru a Fender Princeton Chorus for 15+ years (2x12)..very nice Amp, especially the clean channel....add a little chorus and my 67 Guild Starfire sounds so sweet
I currently purchased a Crate GTX 212...nice buit in effects, great Rhythem sound, and very crunchy leads.
the clean channel is nice, but the Fender sounds better clean.

Thats all folks!

musicsdarkangel said:
Nice! I'm deciding between XXX, 5150II, and a Bogner of some sort.

If you're seriously looking at the 5150 and Bogners (like the Extacy), you should look into the Ampeg 502/1002 by Lee Jackson...I think there's a 501/1001 and 503/1003 as well. The 502's preamp looks remarkably similar to the 5150/Extacy/Recto/SLO preamp...a Marshall master volume preamp with an extra stage tacked on the front end. Not that they all sound the same but they're all in the same ballpark.

cobradenim said:
Peavey made some good amps in the '70s.

By and large Fender copies, and the Peaveys were the sound of Skynyrd back in the day.

Old Marshall Plexies are also awesome. That's what Alex Lifeson would play back when Rush was cool. He had the best tone on that live "All The Worlds A Stage" album.

Indeed! The non-master Marshalls *are* the sound of rock, IMO.

Oranges are also awesome sounding amps. I have another friend that has an old combo and it rocks.

One of the earlier companies with a master volume, and again great cranked tone. Mat Mathias was a freakin' genius designer even if he looked like this:

http://www.matamp.com/mat-mathias.GIF

I currently own a Fender 212 DeVille and it has the best tone! ...But I love the tone of that amp.

It does have a good tone. I was quite surpirsed to discover it was a HR Deville after reading a bunch of negative shizzle about them in some bbs's.

My friend also has an old Airline. It's got an 8 inch speaker, 3 tubes, an on/off/volume knob and a tone knob.

Probably a widowmaker with no power transformer and will give you wall voltage if it's plugged in the wrong way and you touch the chassis or make yourself an easy path to ground... :eek:

Having used Peavey amps for almost 30 years, I think I can understand why the preference for many is Marshall/Fender/Boogie. The answer is one word: distortion. [And no I don't sell Peavey products.]

Hartley Peavey initially designed and built his products to minimize distortion--producing a clean sound even at high gain levels -- which probably explains why Peavey amps are preferred by country and jazz musicians over tube amps. To those who prefer a tube amp sound, the clean sound of a Peavey probably does sound "harsh" or "brittle".

Traynor!!

I have a Traynor YCV20WR and a Traynor YCV40. Both are tube amps,
and both are excellent. Check out the reviews on Harmony Central. I
think they are the best sounding and best made tube amps for under
$700 I've ever seen. I also have a Roland Blues Cube 60 which is an
excellent solid-state amp. I also like Tech 21 products, although I don't
own one right now. In any case, if you haven't tried a Traynor, you
really ought to try one. Like most things, tastes vary. But they are
truly fine amps. Their service is fantastic.

Regards,

John

Back