Votes: 27 1.9%
  • Peavey

Votes: 104 7.5%
  • Anything but a peavey

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • other

Votes: 316 22.7%

• Total voters
Well, I've had a chance to use the Rivera in a band type setting (a room 50'x100', another guitar, bass and drums). Nobody could believe it was a 25 watt amp. What can I say. I'm in love.

Track Rat said:
Well, I've had a chance to use the Rivera in a band type setting (a room 50'x100', another guitar, bass and drums). Nobody could believe it was a 25 watt amp. What can I say. I'm in love.
dont be thrown off man... 25 watts is friggin loud dude, especially if it is a tube amp. tube amps are louder watt-for-watt than solid state amps are.

and every time you double your wattage, i think you only get +3db of extra sound level. so, 25 to 50... +3db, 50 to 100 +3db more

you are only 6db quieter than a 100 watt amp. if i recall correctly anyways.

the number and size of the speakers you are pushing makes a huge difference as well. you can push a lot of watts into one 12 inch speaker and it wont be as loud as it would be through 4x12s.

similarly... i think using two cabs and keeping them next to each other effectively doubles your wattage (+3db)

if you had, say, a 50w amp, and your friend had a 100w amp and you each played through 4x12 cabs. instead of shelling out the extra money for an expensive amp, you could just get another cab and be just as loud, as long as the cabinets are in close proximity. "acoustic coupling" i believe its called.

if i've listened to my father properly over the years... all this should be correct. ;)

It depends on the venue.

strmkr said:
I know this has probably been done,but since Phil02 just posted a guitar poll,I thought I would post an amp poll,just for fun..........

I have always liked old fender deluxe/super reverb/concert....etc...

I have a 65 fender deluxe at the moment. It's waiting to go see the Doc. also, have an archaic Randall Head that is misbehaving.

This thread is interesting to me. My favorite amps are fenders, hands down.

But for working, I need something bulletproof. Even if it means some compromise in tone.

I had a special 130 that sounded great. I had another one that sounded like hell. I don't get that.....different speaker maybe?

anyway, I voted for fender. but I am gonna skip ahead to the last page for ideas on road hog die hard workhorse amps.

What do you think of those weird 'Pod' things that have been around for awhile?

Comment?

boingoman said:
They make good wheel chocks to keep your car from rolling while you unload your amp. :)

<<Thanks for your so ever encouraging comment>>

which comment was that? This one?

<<Originally Posted by billy3000
What do you think of those weird 'Pod' things that have been around for awhile?>>

huh....looks like a question to me. not deserving of 'ever so encouraging'

got a bug up yer arse pal?

Fishmed said:
One of the Amps I have is a Create Stealth. That amp has a wicked distortion and killer clean tone. Very much the 80's amp, but I like nonetheless.

Yeah, I have a Stealth too, along with a Marshall stack, and a few small Fenders. Stealth has a great clean tone, tubes 'll do that, but I love the distrtion too.

Am I the only one noticed jimistone's spelling of pevey? (Page one) Owned a pevey. Took it to pevey. Live near pevey factory. Nothing like a pevey...

billy3000 said:
<<Thanks for your so ever encouraging comment>>

which comment was that? This one?

<<Originally Posted by billy3000
What do you think of those weird 'Pod' things that have been around for awhile?>>

huh....looks like a question to me. not deserving of 'ever so encouraging'

got a bug up yer arse pal?

Whoah up there cowboy. Don't be quite so sensitive. Check things out, like the user CP.

That's my signature line, signified by the line between my response and my sig. It was a response I got from a software stealing troll after I not so politely told him I would not help him crack his software. I thought it was funny the way he worded it.

Let me respond in a way that doesn't offend your arse bug. Not that I care what you think, but....

As an owner of a bunch of amps, mostly tube, and mostly Fender, I think PODs are overrated. You can print a passable tone to tape with them, but they are nowhere near as dynamic as a real amp. They are handy if you need to be quiet, and Line6 amps are light for gigging, but they don't sound like real amps.

shredfit said:
Older Peavey stuff(i mean the tube amps/some were hybrids) were super bulletproof...but sounded like crap!

Newer Peavey amps are real junk! I both *gulp* have to sell and work on them... You can actually break a newer Peavey amp just by replacing the tubes... the tube sockets themselves are so cheap an weak...most fail within about 1-2 years... or if the guitarist is a road musician I'd give it 6 months... The newer Peavey amps do sound better than the old stuff...but not much/and for how long???

I work as a Peavey dealer and repair/not by choice

Shred

Even the 5150 and 5150 II?

Oh....Sorry!

boingoman said:
Whoah up there cowboy. Don't be quite so sensitive. Check things out, like the user CP.

That's my signature line, signified by the line between my response and my sig. It was a response I got from a software stealing troll after I not so politely told him I would not help him crack his software. I thought it was funny the way he worded it.

Let me respond in a way that doesn't offend your arse bug. Not that I care what you think, but....

As an owner of a bunch of amps, mostly tube, and mostly Fender, I think PODs are overrated. You can print a passable tone to tape with them, but they are nowhere near as dynamic as a real amp. They are handy if you need to be quiet, and Line6 amps are light for gigging, but they don't sound like real amps.

my mistake. a thousand apologies. I had no idea. i thought i said something offensive but didn't know what. I think pods are crap too. but there's newer ones.....eh....probably the same old same old. I like my fender deluxe and my antique randall head.

I need some bulletproof piece of boat anchor that'll survive traveling around in a truck or a van. obviously, I'm in the 'starving musician' category or i would do the obvious. road cases. good ones cost more than a disposable amp.

I'm thinking Peavy 30 watt/1 12" NO amp modeling...(God help Us) no onboard gimcrack effects.

sorry about the misunderstanding. I didn't mean to be such a wet blanket guy!

line 6.....isn't that allegedly an upscale peavy? i don't see the appeal.

I guess I'm getting old, and the world is going to hell. since when does a garden variety peavy amp cost actual money? i thought ya could buy those things by the pound.

very strange. anyway, i agree. i am not fond of Pods either. I actually heard one for the first time ever 2 nites ago. the guy played it thru an old old fender concert amp. I kept the obvious question to myself and went on my occasionally merry way.

I've got a POD, a J Station, an ART SGX-2000, a Line6 AX2 as well as Peaveys, Ampegs, and a few Acoustics. They're all just tools and can ALL be just the ticket. The last band that I was doing a LOT of gigging with, I played direct to the PA from a Tom Scholz Rockman (and LOVED it). I got tired of lugging the amp around and all the stomp boxes. There was no such thing as a POD at that time or I'd have been using that. I liked traveling light. That all being said, I do prefere the sound of a real amp, all things being equil BUT if a were playing out 3 to 4 nights a week again, it might be a POD to the PA rather than lugging a 80 LB amp around. :D

billy3000 said:
my mistake. a thousand apologies. I had no idea. i thought i said something offensive but didn't know what. I think pods are crap too. but there's newer ones.....eh....probably the same old same old. I like my fender deluxe and my antique randall head.

I need some bulletproof piece of boat anchor that'll survive traveling around in a truck or a van. obviously, I'm in the 'starving musician' category or i would do the obvious. road cases. good ones cost more than a disposable amp.

I'm thinking Peavy 30 watt/1 12" NO amp modeling...(God help Us) no onboard gimcrack effects.

sorry about the misunderstanding. I didn't mean to be such a wet blanket guy!

line 6.....isn't that allegedly an upscale peavy? i don't see the appeal.

I guess I'm getting old, and the world is going to hell. since when does a garden variety peavy amp cost actual money? i thought ya could buy those things by the pound.

very strange. anyway, i agree. i am not fond of Pods either. I actually heard one for the first time ever 2 nites ago. the guy played it thru an old old fender concert amp. I kept the obvious question to myself and went on my occasionally merry way.

No biggie. These BBS things get pretty brutal sometimes, and you can't always tell whether someone is giving you shit or not. You gotta stand up for yourself. :)

Line6 is the company that makes PODs. They started making amps after awhile. They make some killer pedals.

I get you on the Peavey thing. You could find them for a third of the price of many other amps. Their solid-state stuff sounds pretty good for solid-state. If you are looking for a good tough 30-watter check out the new Fender HotRod Deluxe, or a Peavey Classic 30, or an old Music Man. Pretty light, and kick some ass.

BTW many guys I know who play classic rock have gone the Line6 route. They are very light, because of the high-tech power section, but hold up pretty well. And the savings on their backs seem worth the tonal sacrifice at load-out time. In a loud rock mix, who cares about tone anyway? No one in a bar at midnight is gonna care except you. I can never hear details over the drums anyway. :D
Edit: I just read Track Rat's post. Hope noone minds the repeats. :)

Good luck!

Peavy rocks

I have a few amps such as=

marshall valvestate

Fender Evil Twin

and a flextone II for the studio

but the amp that I feel is the best is my Peavey Joe Satchriani JSX it s tube tone is extremely versital compared to some others I have used. I have giged and toured with it, no problems I have noticed, good when paired with the marshall 1960 a/b cab

I picked Marshall. I used to use a Fender but I didn't like the sound as much. I really like the distorted Marshall sound but they can put out some rich clean sounds too. I don't like the sound of Crates very much.

jamespage67 said:
I have a few amps such as=

marshall valvestate

Fender Evil Twin

and a flextone II for the studio

but the amp that I feel is the best is my Peavey Joe Satchriani JSX it s tube tone is extremely versital compared to some others I have used. I have giged and toured with it, no problems I have noticed, good when paired with the marshall 1960 a/b cab

Tone is subjective. Everybody has their own opinion. Peaveys get a bad rap because they are cheap. I think a lot of people bash them without having any driect experience with them. I think the classic series is by far one of the best deals out there on an amp.

Back