Votes: 27 1.9%
  • Peavey

Votes: 104 7.5%
  • Anything but a peavey

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • other

Votes: 316 22.7%

• Total voters
I have a Sunn Model T. I'm never getting rid of it. It will be my main amp until I die. HUGE clean tone and with the right distortion pedals in front of it....mint!!!

Never had the pleasure or money to own a mesa or a marshall but i have been quite content with the crate full stack i have been blasting through for the past six years. Except for the fact that the distortion is thin as shit.

I have a Peavey Classic 30. Great little amp, very creamy tube sound. I've never had the opportunity to crank it up, though. In my apartment, it is too loud if I put it past 2.

I a/b'ed the Classic 30 against the comparably sized/priced Fenders, and I preferred the Peavey. I was shocked....and stunned.

I like the Twin, but, as mentioned, it is too heavy and too loud for my needs. If I were gigging, I'd consider one.

YMMV

:cool:

i have a mesa boogie mark2b.....
it's a 60 watt head, dates back to 1981.

it is a version of the first head that they had that did the channel switching, and the cascading preamps....

i used it for 6 years on the road, constant gigging, and it never failed.
never broke a tube, even fell off a drum riser from a height of about 5 feet, onto it's face, and all that happened was 2 of the eq sliders broke off.....
and it still works today!
i use it as a power amp, with a pod xt running into the effects loop.

it's old enough now, to need a full tuneup (change the caps, re-bias, etc)....
but it still sounds great.......

running straight, i use a boss ds-1 to drive the front end a bit more, and it's a real pure sound.

i can attest to it's worthiness, worth every single penny i paid for it.

peavey classic series

I'm not too much of a fan of Peavey's solid state amps, but check out their classic series for a reasonably priced tube solution. I got my Classic 30 for $300 (used in mint) and I never would've been able to get the tone I have out of a solid-state amp for the same price or even more. Once you get into a new Classic 50, though, you might as well pay a little extra for a better tube amp with some celestions and a little bit bigger tubes (the classic 30 and 50 both use the exact same tube configuration) 3 EL84 preamps? and 4 12AX7 powers I think. Don't quote me there.

CMB...Coalition for Musicians on a Budget :cool:

find a place

MK-Ultra said:
I have a Peavey Classic 30. Great little amp, very creamy tube sound. I've never had the opportunity to crank it up, though. In my apartment, it is too loud if I put it past 2.

I a/b'ed the Classic 30 against the comparably sized/priced Fenders, and I preferred the Peavey. I was shocked....and stunned.

I like the Twin, but, as mentioned, it is too heavy and too loud for my needs. If I were gigging, I'd consider one.

YMMV

:cool:

You've got to find a place to turn it up a little bit! If you've never had it up then you don't know what you're missing! Just past 4 and a half it begins to get interesting and it's beautiful with distortion and clean a little bit past 5. Careful not to put the pregain too high though, you'll take away your ability to use the natural drive and the speaker when it breaks up a little. :D

Codmate said:
I said it in another thread, but boy do I love my Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb!

Bit of a mouthful though.

I just call it the 'VibroLove' :D

Awesome amp. You can still find silvrfaces at reasonable prices and mod them cheap.

I play with a guy who had a Gibson GA-20 built into the same box with his Vibrolux. He uses the Gibby for dirt and his channel switcher is a stereo volume pedal he uses to blend the two sounds. Best thing ever.

I'm also a big fan of the small Peavey tubers and Fender Blues Junior.

Generally I go with a Bandmaster, reverb unit and an echoplex.
My "big" rig is a 1950 Deluxe, 1968 Ampeg Jet, and a champ all on a buffered three way switcher. It will do anyhting this side of Metallica. Three small amps all cranked sounds great.

deville

Lt. Bob said:
I have a Hot Rod DeVille (4-10s) and it's a great amp.
I'm just hooked on the Ampegs and I have too many amps. Wanna buy it?

Someone here might! ;)

Email me the specs and a picture if possible...

How long have you had it? any problems? where do you live? we'll talk...

Interesting forum, everyone has something different that works for them.

for me :) :

Marshall SuperBass (72)

Hiwatt DR103 (71)

with 2 Marshall Basketweave and 1 Hiwatt SA4122 cabs

man those are LOUD but SOOO GOOD ;)

After nearly 18 months of shopping for an amp, I am STILL in the market. To satisfy my amplification needs until THE amp is chosen, I dropped $500 on a new Line6 Duoverb. I am actually impressed with this amp, although I have always hated both emulators and modellers. The only things I dont like about this emulator, is that it emulates too well. When you find that tone you want and turn it down, you lose the tone and response as though it were a genuine tube amp. That is a positive in rehearsal applications when you can crank it up, but not when you wanna jam while the wife is watching Sex and the City. Needless to say, I have now become very involved with Carry Bradshaw and friends. If you could fuse all 4 of those chics into one woman, she would be a Stepford wife without the virus!!
When I say shop for amps, I mean that I spend so much time in a store on one amp with MY guitars that I was issued keys for the shop so I could jam after hours!! (If only....) I actually brought a notepad so that I could record my comments on the performance of the amps. Since the clean channel is the clencher for me, I quickly ruled out Marhsall as the sole amp. The Mark Series Amps by Boogie were fairly clean, but not Fender nice!! For my distortion needs, I will simply use my pedalboard that incorporates an MXR Doubleshot through the front until I can afford a second amp to do the dirty. The few amps I have found that I might actually buy are:
1) Fender Twin - kinda bright, but mixed well with my Bassist (Tied for 1st choice)
2) Fender Twin Reverb Custom 15 - Not as bright, Nice bottoms (Tied for 1st choice)
3) M/B Recording Rectifier Pre through an M/B EQ into an M/B Stereo 2/50 pushing an MB 212 (Very Expensive!!)
4) Vox AC-30 Top Boost (Really Expensive)
5) Fender HR (Great Deal, Decent Amp)

I played through countless Marshalls, Boogies, PV's, Soldano, Gibsons, and many, many others. And loved the disto on the boutiques, but just didnt have the clean soul I need!!

As for Peavey and Crate, I have owned various models of both and have little good to say. I still have a Crate GFX15 for travel, and it does give good tones at 15 watts, but the 212 I owned back in the day sucked more than tone, it wasnt worth the commission on eBay!! Peavey was hit or miss. Had some that were decent, and some that were just down right worthless!! Played through a friend's XXX for about two weeks while he was on vacation, and went from loving it to liking it. It is a limited use amp. I used to think PV PA's were adequate until I got a Mackie CFX20 using only SRM450's. Even with only a 12" driver, it is sonically full! Now THAT is a nice investment!!!

As said earlier by another mature person, I cant believe that opinions are being attacked as though we were communists. We are Americans in the land of the free. As a former E-6 in and Infantry unit in the Army, I know of several people who actually paid the ultimate price for our civil liberties. Dont spit on their graves by being childish about other's opinions. Opinions are like @ssh0les, everybody has one, but no one likes them shoevd in your face!! Speak your mind and enjoy your freedom, but respect the freedom of other as well!!
By the way... Peavey and Crate SUCK!!!!!

Last edited:
It's a matter of Choice & a matter of fact

I played many amps in a recording, jamming & gig setting. Here's what I think & apparantly the GEAR reviewers too. Fender SS rules. Marshall SS SUCKETH (just try the 2 x 12 -100 what?--LOL). Peavey is like a timex--not bad. Behringer is a sleeper (similar to Line 6's Spider Series). If their quality improves we got a a few winners here folks. Crate used to suck, now they are VERY POPULAR & fairly reliable. AMPEG & Mesa are good as are Marshall & Line 6 TUBES. Rogue are Very respectable amps (even at their low prices).
I had a crybaby pedal & Marshall SS that both crapped out. Meanwhile my Rogue Wah-Wah & practice amp & still goin strong. I use a Peavey Head to gig with; it's 20 years old (OK!)

Chill said:
If you're seriously looking at the 5150 and Bogners (like the Extacy), you should look into the Ampeg 502/1002 by Lee Jackson...I think there's a 501/1001 and 503/1003 as well. The 502's preamp looks remarkably similar to the 5150/Extacy/Recto/SLO preamp...a Marshall master volume preamp with an extra stage tacked on the front end. Not that they all sound the same but they're all in the same ballpark.

No kidding? I didn't even know that ampeg made a metal'ish amp.

Oh by the way, can an Extacy pump out heavy distortion?

I want something versatile, but if it doesn't have excellent blues tone, that is fine.

Back