• Peavey

Votes: 104 7.5%
  • Anything but a peavey

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • other

Votes: 316 22.7%

• Total voters
shredfit said:
Try LaVonne's Music in Savage MN!!! While your there check out Savage audio... and their custom built amps! you will not be disappointed!

Shred!

OK, will do!

-Mr. Moon

strmkr said:
I was just havin' some fun with the "anything but a peavey" answer.I have had a couple that were indeed bulletproof.
But,after playing guitar for almost 30 years,I have figured out I will never be happy with anything but a Marshall. I am currently using a VS-102 valvestate to gig with,and have recently acquired an old plexi super lead that will reside here in the studio.I love the valvestate for gigging because it is durable as hell and doesn't have a bunch of tubes to shake loose on the ride into town up these rough old Oklahoma backroads.

I have had a few Marshalls. They sound horrible in the studio. I always wanted one based on my guitar heros. Now, read interviews with the top ex-Marshall users and they have the same opinion as me. They sound horrible. I now have a Carvin Tube stack. I hated Carvin for years. This thing sounds so good in the studio. I love it. You could not have ever convinced me of that till I recorded a guy using the same stack. I sold my Marshalls and only miss the bitchin look of them.

jimistone said:
i voted for pevey...they are like timex watches "can take a lickin' and still keep tickin'"
I am biased though. I live in central mississippi and when im faced with the very rare occurance that a pevey peice of equipment screws up....i can drive to Meridian and the pevey techs will drop what they are doing and fix it on the spot (charging only for parts). I had a pevey mixer go out on a thursday night when my band was practicing. The following Fri. morning I took it to pevey and they fixed it in 30 minutes and I used it that night. WITH THAT KIND OF SERVICE HOW CAN YOU USE ANTHING ELSE? also, theit new line of amps sound very good.

Hey dude, I went to school at MSU, and Mark Peavey lived in my apartment complex. Cool guy. Big pothead back then (as if I wasn't). Anyway, Peavey is in Meridian, right?

I am in love with my '65 Bassman. EH Holy Grail for the reverb, and a couple of pedals to get the job done.

Everybody snickers when they here i'm using a Bassman. Then they hear it, and shut up.

Blind Cowboy...

Tech21.

Great tone, flexibility, reliability, and reasonably priced.

I think great gear should be able to hit all of those categories to some degree.

Best Guitar Amp????

It all depends upon what kinda vibe and/or sound that ya want.....80's rock, NU Metal, punk, country, blues, whatever...

BUT seeing I'm a heavy rock kinda dude)....without doubt my FAV amp is the

Soldano SL100

it's the tone demon!!! :)

cheers,

KEV

it depends... don't have an absolute favorite...

For a Fender sound... Fender Champ or Princeston Reverb into a 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks (I can't seperate amp from speaker)

For a Marshall tone... Marshall JCM800 into 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks or Vintage 30's... I like both and swap based on mood.

For Metal... Triple Rectifier into Recto Cab loaded with Vintage 30's

For me right now... 5150-II into Recto 2x12 (tolerate volume level) cabinet (Vintage 30's)... but likely to change anytime...

I'll put up a partial list of amps I've owned and played through over the years and try to give a basic rating...As always yer milage may vary and by all means is my word worht a shit to anyone but me........

1960 Tweed Tremolux Jeez-us-kriest!! 12 outta 10
1954 Tweed ProAmp Ditto
1956 Tweed Champ Can U say old ZZTOP!
1965 ProReverb Worst sale I ever made...pleeze kik me
1964 Fender Bassman w/1962 Fender Reverb 18 outta 10
1964 Ampeg Rocket best tone on earth...not loud enough for live
1970 Ampeg V2 Loud Loud LOUD LOUDER 8
1969 Fender Super Reverb Blues man blues 10
1977 Twin As might be expected 7
JTM45 Marshall Combo 2 when on '2'...20 when on 11
JCM 800 Marshall Combo real sweet
Very Old Vox AC15 when it worked it was special
Vox Cambridge tube 11
Vox Cambridge SolidState Strange Beautiful 8
Peavey LA 400 on lap steel there was nothing like it 10
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe excellent 9
Fender Blues Jr. even better...two makes stereo
Peavey 2-12 tweed 60 watts...very nice weak tone control 6
1970 Princeton Reverb incredible 12

These are just some of em....yeah I'm an amp slut and I've been around long enough to have played a lot of amps....

I had an old old Baldwin amp that sounded like nothing else then or since. go figure.
I had a Mesa Boogie MkII that made way too much noise so I didnt keep it long.
I've owned two other Marshalls, a 100watt super lead and a Marshall Major...bpth of these had to be used outside or in a venue large enough for their power...
As for bass amps theres an even longer list as I play both....
SVT has always been the best if you had a short strong person to tote it around for you.

My 87 PRS through my Peavey Delta Blues, Marvel 15" @ 30 watts cranked. All tube, great clean and sweet sustain. I stick a SM57 on her live through the Peavey PA. I've been playing out since '64, smoked alot of brand name transformers. Say what you must...I've been using PV since 1970. I even had an amp & PA system burn up, melt, in a club left over night and the stuff still worked.

The Ampeg V-4 will always be my true love, but if I had to sub it out for anything it would be the Orange OR 120.

I've used a pretty good Peavey amp (Deuce II). It was converted into a head, but it was supposed to be a 2x12 combo. As a head it works really well. Solid state pre/6L6 power. Very loud. It was one channel with no distortion, but overdriving the pre gain resulted in ultra nasty fuzztone and caused huge compression humps.

I currently own a Marshall JCM 900 2100 model (american version with EL34s). I'm relatively happy with it, but like what was said before, the controls are bad. It can go from sounding like my old MT-2 to rich, warm tone. It's by far the noisiest amp I've used in a long time. The Ampeg and Peavey were both silent and perfect for studio use.

As much as I love Ampeg, not all of their amps are gold. I used to own the VL1002A and I was not impressed with that amp in the least. The only good thing about it was the lock that kept everyone else in the band from screwing with my amp while I wasn't there.

The worst amp I've ever used was a Crate G12 10w combo amp.

Favorites for Guitar:

1. Fender Hot Rod Series - I love these things
2. Marshall JCM800 50W - Classic there
3. Boogie, but only the dirty channels, I loathe the clean on every Boogie I've ever heard
4. Peavey - I've had so many Peavey amps it's rediculous. I'm retubing a Heritage VTX and checking out a Bass 400 head at the moment for some friends. I've never been 100% happy with the tone but it's always better than good enough, cheap and working.

Favorites for Bass:

1. Ampeg
2. Ampeg
3. Ampeg

Honorable mentions:

Peavey Mark III the loudest 150W bass amp ever.

Hartke 3500. The tone always leaves me flat but it does cut through and is LOUD.

Galien-Kreuger.

I have a Hot Rod DeVille (4-10s) and it's a great amp.
I'm just hooked on the Ampegs and I have too many amps. Wanna buy it?

Lt. Bob said:
I have a Hot Rod DeVille (4-10s) and it's a great amp.
I'm just hooked on the Ampegs and I have too many amps. Wanna buy it?

The Hot Rods are awesome. The other guitarist in my band is looking at a DeVille (2x12). I'm using a Deluxe which is MORE than plenty. I nought mine from a line up of a Carvin MTX-212, Marshall DSL401 and Boogie F50. While all were great in their own way that Fender "soul" sold me and I've never regretted it. It's the first amp I've ever had that just sounded good no matter what I did to it. Of course... it sounds like a Fender and has all the characteristics so for a different band the Boogie would obviously win but for real Fender sound the Hot Rods have it.

In regards to the offer of the Ampeg... I'm in the gear buying hole at the moment. The wife didn't like it yesterday when I walked in with a pair of Oktava MK-319s. Another amp would be really bad.

Yeah.....I know that situation.....that's why I'm selling stuff. :)
Just for the record though; it's the Hot Rod deVille that's for sale.

So many amps, so little time (or is it money?)

Not popular like the Marshalls, Fender, Boogie et all, but I have a Gibson GA60RV Super Goldtone (2x12 tube combo) that I think is simply one of the best and most versatile multi-channel tube amps around.

Ive played so many stinking amps its not even remotely humorus. I spent more than a year looking for an amp I liked. I eventually settled on a Marshall. It didn't have enough bite and attitude for what I wanted....But Lee Jackson mods were popular at the time so I found a Marshall Tech locally to hotrod me like Lee Jackson. Whahoooo. Pricey :) I still have it, its been loaned out to studios once in a while for recording work. Sounds great on metal when you use the Triple Rectifier blended with it. Neither on their own to me sound as good as when blended right.

I voted other because of the Deisel amps..Whoa.... Bogners are good too.
Ive had or played through:

Crate:...some good...some not so good.

KMD: dull...

Dean Markely: was good for studio and warm ups. Nice clean amps

Fender: Twins, deluxes and a thing that had tremolo mode on it..vibrotwin or somthing... pretty good over all for blues and clean stuff.

Randall: Pretty good tube stacks

Peavy: Bandit and some others...not my favorite kinda harsh.

GK: Ok, not inspriring.

Mesa Boogie: Dual and triple rectifier, and MKII's depending on your needs.

I think amps are like mics.... more to choose from the better life is in the studio.

I blew my little Danelectro Honey tone...I miss the little guy..

SoMm

I used to have a musicman 210 combo the one with the "deep switch" wish I had never sold it. Then it was a 1969 fender twin. I loved it but it started to nickel and dime me and became unreliable(much like my 72 dodge dart). Now I have a roland JC-77 I could'nt be happier, well maybe a 120 would bring a little more happiness.

Peavey Rocks

Have fun changing tubes, I will stick with my bulletproof Peavey Transformer.....

Back