Votes: 27 1.9%
  • Peavey

Votes: 104 7.5%
  • Anything but a peavey

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • other

Votes: 316 22.7%

• Total voters
Another poll with no ampeg love. I don't want to vote 'other'.
I have 4 Ampegs and they're actually my favorite amps.
A 1970 V2 half stack, a '71 VT-22, a '71 VT-40 and a Reverbrockett reissue. The Reverbrocket is in my truck right now gigging quite a bit although it's not really like the old Ampegs.

My very fave is the VT-40 but that thing weighs 95lbs! :eek: Screw that! Plus it's a boutique type 60 watts so it's just too loud to use anywhere.
And The VT-22 is 120watts and weighs in at 105lbs.
I love 'em but I just can't use 'em anymore.

I voted for Peavey mostly because that is what I have played through since 1987. I picked up a Peavey Special Solo Series (120 watt version) at a yard sale for $40 and it hasn't let me down yet. I have to admit though my dream amp is a Vox Super Beatle. I got to play though one in 1969 and it was love at first play. Now days though you would have to be Bill Gates to afford one if you could even find one.

I have a H&K Switchblade that I use with 2 diff cabs. I have a Peavey XXX 4x12 and a Mojotone 2x12 with an Eminence Wizard/Governor combo. It does everything I need and some.

Took some time to read through some of the posts. Peavey seems to cause a bit of a stir. A friend had one of their "tweed" amps and that thing ran HOT. You could not touch the screw heads for very long it was that hot. It eventually destroyed itself from that much heat. Sounded good though. Anyone out there ever have that problem with those Peavey amps??

I always wanted to try out a Baldwin amp. Almost bought one that was in a pawn shop a few years back - didn't have the money nor the justification. I would like to have my old Magnatone M7 back. Cool little amp for what it was. I have friend that builds amps that I'd buy in a heartbeat - rustech Blend'r. Cool amp with channel crossfade ability. It reminds me a bit of a blackface Deluxe - a very loud 22 watts.

Took some time to read through some of the posts. Peavey seems to cause a bit of a stir. A friend had one of their "tweed" amps and that thing ran HOT. You could not touch the screw heads for very long it was that hot. It eventually destroyed itself from that much heat. Sounded good though. Anyone out there ever have that problem with those Peavey amps??

I've never had that problem with peavey. In fact, I voted for peavey. Every one I've used has sounded great. My guitarist plays through a Valveking 212 and we love it. The 'bite' is fantastic when you crank it up and let the tubes go a little bit. IMO, peavy>marshall, but I'm probably biased because every Marshall I've owned was in the shop every other week, one of them even had a recall that was instated right after my warranty ran out. Bastards.

I was a long-time Marshall guy, (would love to have my '71 Superlead back) but my current flavor of the year is Orange, followed by my Vox. Never really was into the Fender sound, tho I've recorded with them for certain applications.

I wonder what the "other is" being how its leading the poll????
LOL

I was wondering that too.

I voted Marshall, although my old Hiwatts are my favourite amps in sentimental terms. But, in a desert island scenario, I'd have to pick Marshall as the one I'd want.

Thinking that Orange, Hiwatt and Dr Z might make up a fair chunk of the "other", but it could be any of a zillion others,

Last edited:
Back