Votes: 27 1.9%
  • Peavey

Votes: 104 7.5%
  • Anything but a peavey

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • other

Votes: 316 22.7%

• Total voters
Anyone played on those Blackstar 5 watt tube amps?

I tried one at the local store and they unplugged the 10" speaker and plugged it into a Marshall 4x12 cabinet - just awesome

I have a 2, 12" 120wt fender chorus line for and there is nothing on par with it. Very reliable with a great overdrive ch and it works great for playing in small clubs. Plus I've always been more geared toward combo amps due just because their not so big and bulky like a lot of these half stacks that you see.

The new Jet city amps are awesome, i had a chance to play through one for a gig and it was so crisp. Other than that one find, I'm a marshall fan boy all the way!

I've got a Marshall and that's it so that's what I voted for. hopefully I'll be able to get a fender later this year!

I really like the amps I own right now:

Fender Bassman 100 (voodoo amps modded)
5150 sig (FJA bias modded)
Mesa Boogie Dual Rect 2 ch.

Would love some JMP, Bluesbreaker or AC30 though.

I've been having some fun with my new VOX Li'l Night Train. I traded an old Trace TA30 and a 60 pound Fishman - 280 watts of acoustic amps for ... a 2 watt tube amp. Kinda glad I did that. Why? I use it at home as a practice amp and our fish have stopped dying. I use it out gigging only as a preamp and drive the PA with it. It is three pounds of pretty good tone; my back is thanking me even now.

The Li'l Night Train might not end up being anyone's "favorite" amp under any circumstances. But it does have some very nice tone and is pretty versatile for my playing. I play with acoustic guitars, a Washburn J4 jazzbox and occasionally a Cort 335 clone. My guitar gigs - whenever I do get to play in the first place instead of running sound - call for backup and occasional clean leads with an occasional bluesy growl.

When used to drive its 10" Celestion speaker, the amp sounds warm and clear, but suffers from minimal (if any) headroom - after all it's only 2-3 watts on a good day. But it also has a headphone output through which it routes only a single watt. This one feature transforms the head into a great little preamp for my PA. When gigging, the PA gives me all the muscle I need - eliminating all the headroom issues.

I've used it with the Mackie SRM450s in my gigging system, and the other night four of us played a small dinner club using just my Passport 250 system, which I usually reserve for side fill stage monitoring as part of the main rig. Using only the Passport, we ran four vocal mics and my jazzbox guitar; two other members used their own amps. I had placed the head on top of a stack so I could see the controls easily and for the first time I felt in complete control of my guitar sound. Works slick - as long as I treat it as a preamp.

Next adventure will be using this as a front end for the recording rig. All kinds of possibilities pop up here... will report back.

i voted for pevey...they are like timex watches "can take a lickin' and still keep tickin'"

My Peavey stopped "tickin'" right around the time I moved from my previous address to my new one. The power supply cord is quite frayed, and since I bought the amp used, I don't even know how old it is. I hope I can get it fixed, as I wouldn't mind selling it. It was a darn good unit while it lasted, but I'd like to try something different.

I love Vox and Hiwatt, but if it came down to a desert island scenario, I'd have to bring a Marshall. If I had to go to my grave buried with one, it'd be my 1976 Hiwatt DR 504.

OTOH, the amp I use most at gigs is a St. Louis-made Crate Vintage Club 30 with a Weber Ferromax speaker. The thing sings. Then again, an AC30CC2x is pretty darn hard to beat!

Suds . . .

If case it wasn't mentioned in the previous 55 pages, not all amp manufacturers' products sound alike. Marshall made/makes some awesome sounding amplifiers, but they have some shit out there, too. I remember a friend's Marshall Mosfet amp years ago. That thing was lemon. Same with their budget modern amps. Fender makes good and bad all over the map, too. But the Marshall superleads/1987s or, my favorite, the JMP/JCM800 series model 2204/2203 are tone monsters for rock.

Its too hard to pick just one. I have a SLO 100 and i love it but it is LOUD. in no particular order my favs are.....

SLO 100
Fender Bassman
Fender Champ
Fender Princeton
Anything Two Rock
Marshall JTM 45
Messa Mark I

I have been using a Peavey Triumph 60 for probably 20 years now. It still has the original tubes in it, and it still sounds great. It had a burn out on a circuit a few months ago that was fixed for around $50 or so at a local shop. That's the only problem that I have ever had with it.

I just bought a little Fender Frontman 25R to practice with and not aggravate the hell out of my neighbors. I can't crank it up like I used to do in my old house. Town-home owners can be so inconsiderate to musicians sometimes. :listeningmusic:

Back