• Peavey

Votes: 104 7.5%
  • Anything but a peavey

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • other

Votes: 316 22.7%

• Total voters
I meant a Mesa Mark V.

I heard a V3 last year ....... it didn't really impress me but I'm not a metalhead.

I don't know, Bob. You've had me banging my head a few times.:D

Tell ya, best tone I've ever had...
....I found some old video of me from about 20 years ago. I was using a Mesa Boogie stereo Studio preamp, with a Marshall JCM800 (not the master channel version) for a power amp. I plugged the Mesa into the return on the effects loop of the Marshal, which by passes the preamp stage of the Marshall, and sends the Boogie signal through the power amp. I have never been a fan of Marshall, and I have always believed that everybody using the JCM800 one trick pony in the 80's sounded the same due to the lack of versatility. However, as far as the power amp part of it....my Boogie never sounded so good as it did through that Marshall power amp. I even tried using the Boogie with the 9001 Marshall power amp, which was suppose to be the same power amp as the JCM800 heads.....but it wasn't' even close.

I have a Roland JC120 which is a nice amp. It replaced and old Fender Twin that I bought used years ago. Nice amp, but needed a lot of work and I had no money so I sold it to a friend and bought the Roland for $200.00. A couple of weeks ago, this friend brought the Fender to me and asked me if I could fix it. It was dead. I replaced all the tubes and had to remove the guts to repair the vibrato. The circuit board is brass rivits on a thick piece of leather and hand wired. I did some research and discovered this amp was made in 1962. I'm kicking myself for selling it. When I was finished repairing it and plugged in my Strat, it sounded better than it ever did when I owned it.
One of my life regrets.

I almost want to change my vote from Marshall to Peavey. I just picked up a couple of 70s era Classic tube amps and I love 'em. Still, they're not quite my old Marshall 50, but close; and for the price...unbeatable.

LOL :D

I was also curious about that one. I've never played a great Crate. Then again, there may be decent ones out there.

I had a Crate Stealth 100 watt all tube head for like 5 years in college...that thing held up to every Marshall and Vox I ever had and have now! Wish I still had it!

I use an SWR Workingmans 10 for the guit. Tiny, 85 watts into a speaker that will handle the same spl as clean bass. Dials up great, crunchy.

My current amp is a Peavey Classic 30 which I use for guitar on gigs, and harmonica and guitar in the studio. I've also got an Epiphone Valve Sr, which is nice, but I@ve hardly touched it since I bought the Peavey.

Engl Screamer 50W through a Mesa 1x12 cab

I've got the vertical Engl 2x12 cab for it as well but prefer the mesa one, has a warmer sound and not as heavy!

fender blues junior... got one when the first came out and was quite pleased to see jeff beck using two of them together on his latest tour!!

Its tough to just pick a brand name of amp you think is best...all brands have good and bad.

Ive played through some fender amps I really liked...Ive played through some peavey amps i didnt like...Ive played through some marshall amps I liked and disliked.

Its a tough one...It all depends on so many factors...guitar your playing,sound your looking for.

Im sure all the amps are decent enough depending on the sound you want and the guitar your playing.

Overall though I think I lean towards fender...I played through a princeton chorus years ago in the 80's and I loved that amp..It wasnt my amp and couldnt afford to buy one however Im on the hunt for one right now.

I dont think its about the brand name...I think its about the amp itself and how it fits to your style/sound...is the fender princeton from the 80's better than any other amp...maybe not however for my style and ear it is.

Having said that I have yet to play through a really expensive high end amp...I guess I should go do that.

Voted other. The two best amps I have ever played on were a BadCat and a TwoRock. Love the Boogies and Oranges....but those first two I mentioned take the cake for me.

This whole poll is whack because of the vastness of models and the sound one is going for. There is also the fact to consider that certain guitars will sound good through one amp and not another. Dirt pedals really skew the data.
It's also a fact that amp owners will defend their amps to the death, especially if it was expensive.
If an amp is truly crap, no one will buy it and it will be discontinued.

I can tell you this about my little Princeton - I had some new GTs put in it and didn't like them. Made the amp sound like a brick. A few days later i had the old GEs put back in. For recording blues and rock, i love my tone.

Back