Greg L to be banned

Dudes, I haven't been underground in 6 months now, & probably will never be again. The "big" mining company around here is cutting 1,100 more jobs by September, which essentially means, there will be no more coal mining for me (and a lot of others who've depended on it all their life), unless I move away, but even then, there's no guarantee that job will last either.

You might consider both moving...and finding another line of work then.

Not an easy task....but it's the only step, IMO, that will give some better long-term guarantees, rather than chasing the coal industry all over the county...but hey, maybe there's bigger mines with less chance of shutdown...

...though I think for that you would need to move to Bolivia.

As for why some people at the top end of rep have a few more points than others....

As far as I can work out, you get 1% of the rep of the person giving it. There's a maximum around 21474860 or so because that's the bit limit of the field. If you lob a few points short of the max, and someone reps you again, if the 1% would take you over the limit, you get nothing. So it's luck of the draw really, unless you get some noob love from someone with only a couple of hundred points themselves, and that small amount nudges you closer to the max number.

That's what I reckon, anyway, having puzzled over it before.... ;)

So it's luck of the draw really, unless you get some noob love from someone with only a couple of hundred points themselves, and that small amount nudges you closer to the max number.

OR, (if that were the case) you could get negged by someone who's just shy of being maxxed out, then repped by someone who actually is.. inching you closer to those golden rep heights.

But here's my theory-

What shows above your post is your rep/100 - your actual rep appears on the "settings" screen.
I assumed for while that the max rep would be the max val for a 32-bit int, namely (2^31)-1, but that actually works out to 2147483647 (/100 = 21,474,836), and maxed out members regularly exceed this. Not by much, but enough so that thatValue*100 won't fit into a 32-bit field (unless maybe it's unsigned). BUT if you go into settings right now, I'll bet your rep reads 2147483647, like mine and all other maxxed out members. I'm just guessing here, cuz I know mine does. So all maxxed out members actually have the exact same rep.. and I think the division by 100 for what shows over your post occurs to facilitate members getting a few extra points based on other criteria- I have no idea what that would be, but someone mentioned postCount/1000 or something, which seems reasonable- though for my personal extra 10 points it would make more sense if it was postCount/300. *You* exceed the max field value by 23, which roughly corresponds with the ratio of your post count to mine (almost).

All you need to do to test this theory is make 300 posts real fast and see if your rep increases by 1... :D

Last edited:
OK, I just got a friend request, which I accepted, from BTYRE.

Hey, everyone deserves a second chance, especially if they reach out an olive branch. I've never had any problem with the dude anyway, so I'm wiping the slate clean and I just made a new friend. Dude's a great musician, so that's got to count for something in my book. :)

OR, (if that were the case) you could get negged by someone who's just shy of being maxxed out, then repped by someone who actually is.. inching you closer to those golden rep heights.

But here's my theory-

What shows above your post is your rep/100 - your actual rep appears on the "settings" screen.
I assumed for while that the max rep would be all and maxed out members max val for a 32-bit int, namely (2^31)-1, but that actually works out to 2147483647 (/100 = 21,474,836), and maxed out members regularly exceed this. Not by much, but enough so that thatValue*100 won't fit into a 32-bit field (unless maybe it's unsigned). BUT if you go into settings right now, I'll bet your rep reads 2147483647, like mine and all maxxed out members actually have the exact same rep.. and I think the division by 100 for what shows over your post occurs to facilitate and maxed out members getting a few extra points based on other criteria- I have no idea what that would be, but and maxed out members mentioned postCount/1000 or something, which seems reasonable- though for my personal extra 10 points it would make more sense if it was postCount/300. *You* exceed the and maxed out members field value by 23,

I was thinking the same thing, but decided a beer would be better.
:)

OK, I just got a friend request, which I accepted, from BTYRE.

Hey, everyone deserves a second chance, especially if they reach out an olive branch. I've never had any problem with the dude anyway, so I'm wiping the slate clean and I just made a new friend. Dude's a great musician, so that's got to count for something in my book. :)

Lol. Why is he extending an olive branch to you? You're not the one he's trying to get banned. :laughings:

Lol. Why is he extending an olive branch to you? You're not the one he's trying to get banned. :laughings:
Nah, but I did give him neg rep for no real reason other than I thought he was being a baby about going public with other people's neg rep. I mean, it was a little stupid, but it's not as if I've never been stupid.

Nah, but I did give him neg rep for no real reason other than I thought he was being a baby about going public with other people's neg rep. I mean, it was a little stupid, but it's not as if I've never been stupid.

You've never been this stupid. :D

You've never been this stupid. :D

I have what I call a reflective personality. If someone's a prick to me, I give it back disproportionately. I don't stop until I've made them cry, or take a swing at me. If someone's nice to me, I'm a big fucking softy. I can't help it. It's just how I am. :eek:

I'm not even saying it's a good way to be. But it just is how I be. :)

I have what I call a reflective personality. If someone's a prick to me, I give it back disproportionately. I don't stop until I've made them cry, or take a swing at me. If someone's nice to me, I'm a big fucking softy. I can't help it. It's just how I am. :eek:

You are a real fucking piece of maggot shit that I love with all of my heart because you're such a great guy!

How would you respond to that?

Back