DAW Input / Output advice

Yeah, it'll depend on the user. Footprint isn't an issue for me--my existing digital mixer is about as big (narrower but deeper) but that could be and issue for some.

I've always had a soft spot for Soundcraft--I've personally owned a couple of their mixers over the years and installed tons in edit and video studio set ups when I was working. If their current pre amps and EQ are as good as the older stuff, I like the sound of this model.

I've been running 3 converters, 8-channels each, with separate cards since W2K...through XP...and now on Win7.
I can use them either with ASIO or WDM...and never had an issue running all three simultaneously., but they are all the same kind and use the same drivers. These are PCI cards...and probably my last build where I can still use them, since few of the newer PCs have three (or any) PCI slots...but this current Win7 box is good enough, 3 Ghz and 16GB ram with quad core extreme processor...it ain't no slouch even if it is a few years old. :)

I've heard other folks talking about issues with running multiple interfaces simultaneously, but I've not had that problem.
These are older Echo Layal24 boxes, and I'm running them with Samplitude ProX. In the DAW, I see all the boxes, I see all their inputs, and everything works fine.

Why doesn't it surprise me that you would say preamps are not really needed. :D

I dunno...maybe your use of pres is different, but I find that regardless if it's a tube/tranny deal or solid state...there's all kinds of different flavors you can get with how you set your gain knobs on a preamp and the interaction between the mic and the pre relative to that.
So just to be sure I understand you....you're plugging your mic into a Line input...and then jacking the gain way up high to get enough signal from the mic...???
So like, if you put aside real loud sources where you have a 100W amp dime'd...what do you do for acoustic instruments, vocals, etc....where the preamp gain is critical...???

Hey...if it works for you, :thumbs up:...just sayin that the rest of the "non-nuts" world finds plenty use for preamp stages. ;)

I'm waiting for the day you talk about a solid copper wire going from your guitar to your DAW...and where you've removed every other piece of gear in-between 'cuz you don't need it. :p

Using the extra dynamic range of floating point to make up for the lack of pre amps to make up 50 or 60 dB of gain sounds to me like wasting all the advantages of FP.

On top of that, I've yet to meet a line level input with phantom power and since about 90% of my mics are condensers...

On the topic of multiple interfaces and Windows, I've tried it a bunch of times. About 50% of the time I can't make it work at all. About 25% it works but the lack of common wordclock causes too much drift to be usable. The last 25% of the time it's been okay--but that's all just my experiences.

I've been running 3 converters, 8-channels each, with separate cards since W2K...through XP...and now on Win7.
I can use them either with ASIO or WDM...and never had an issue running all three simultaneously., but they are all the same kind and use the same drivers. These are PCI cards...and probably my last build where I can still use them, since few of the newer PCs have three (or any) PCI slots...but this current Win7 box is good enough, 3 Ghz and 16GB ram with quad core extreme processor...it ain't no slouch even if it is a few years old. :)

That's the difference- running as PCi cards. Can't do it (easily? at all? in Windows) with USB interfaces.

That's why I've stayed with the same converters for the last 15 years now...and with every new DAW build, I looked for systems that had enough PCI slots. They've worked really well for me, and because I transfer 24 tracks from tape deck to DAW, and then also mix out of the DAW with 24 channels of A/D...I needed multiple converters and for them to work simultaneously.

I expect this latest DAW build to last for quite awhile...but if/when the next build comes, I may have to give up my PCI-based converters....though I have heard of some sort of external PCI boxes, that you can load with PCI cards, and then hook that up to a modern non-PCI system via USC or Thunderbolt...?...but have not looked into it much at this point.

The multi-USB interface thing appears to be a PITA....but there now some 24-channel interfaces at decent prices...I think MOTU has some, maybe others.

Not particularly surprised that I didn't get everybody to sell off their mic pres. I know it works. You don't have to try it if you don't want to.

What about the idea of getting something with more line ins and just plain preamps. I mean, that's kind of what the OP is talking about, but line inputs will allow you access to more different pres than lightpipe will. The Tascam 16x08 goes for like $300 new, which leaves you $900 to put into whatever preamps blow your skirt up.

image.jpegimage.jpegMay 2016:
What AD and DA converters are available for 32 channels in and out?
I have an Otari MTR90 24 track recorder with Dolby SR24 noise reduction!
I use a Soundtracs Topaz 24 channel console for inputs and Soundtracs Topaz 32 channel console for output mixing. This runs into two Presonus 16.4.2 mixers! They are getting old ( first generation). I was thinking of replacing these boards with something that will record at 96k or above! I could use the Topaz 32 channel for inputs but want a mixer to mix with. Not "in the box"!
What converters are available with 32 ins and outs?

I would prefer to get another console!

I have an Allen and Heath ice16. 16 in 16 out. You can link two for 32 channels. Thats 32 channels of ad to da conversion for 2 grand.

Simple. Im sure there is better stuff, but I'm extremely happy with mine.

Bonus; It also functions as a standalone recorder, recording 24 bit to a usb SSD and 16 bit to a usb thumbdrive.

That's the difference- running as PCi cards. Can't do it (easily? at all? in Windows) with USB interfaces.

I personally haven't run into any issues using ASIO4ALL in windows with USB interfaces (once set up). There's a bit of fiddling around to get it working properly, IE setting correct buffer sizes ect. But for the most part it seems pretty solid.

After doing some research on the sig, it seems like that would be a nicer option.. Now to see if there is a retailer in Australia... :P

I know Turramurra Music are advertising it but others come up on Google too. There are some Aussie sellers a bit cheaper on the local eBay too.

I know Turramurra Music are advertising it but others come up on Google too. There are some Aussie sellers a bit cheaper on the local eBay too.

It seems that all of the ones on ebay are just the Soundcraft Signature 22, and not the "MTK". From reading it seems that the difference is that the USB out is only stereo

On the Soundcraft website it states that Jands is their aussie retailer, but it doesnt seem to be on their site. I'll keep digging, but this one seems like a winner. Cheers :thumbs up:

I use a Soundtracs Topaz 24 channel console for inputs and Soundtracs Topaz 32 channel console for output mixing. This runs into two Presonus 16.4.2 mixers!

Just out of curiosity...why exactly do you need/use 3 separate mixers...?
I would think the 32-channel Topaz could do it all...why use a 24-channel Topaz to record and then the 32-channel to mix....and then you're going from the 32-channel Topaz to a pair of 16-channel Presonus mixers...why not just use a pair of 16 channel or 3 8-channel converters instead of the digital mixer...?

Back