Clarify the term "Drum Overheads"

I, sometimes, find myself wondering about the intent behind the word "troll'.
Is the intention "trawl" because it would fit? Is the intention the critter who used to live under the bridge and harrass the rather gruff trio of billygoats, (and where were the nanny goats may I ask?),?
I took OH literally and when recording my eKit I put a mic over my head. I also aimed a mic at the kick & snare pads. I noted some stranbge resonance from the mic over my head. A kind of echoy, roomy, boomy sound. I had to do a lot of EQing to get a usable sound from the tracks of the mic'd snare & kick pads.
My OH mic couldn't record the symbols. I had to revert to a video camera and the sound in that wasn't very good as the symbols weren't very loud.
I decided to put a sign in my song to make it clear that the cymbals were symbolic.
How do I describe my recording set up of 1 usb midday, 1 OH mic, 1 snare pad mic & 1 kick pad mic?
I don't know.. but I love that movie Troll Hunter!

Nope, don't know this guy. He doesn't correlate to our infamous troll of previous years.

I will say, and Greg is going to hate me for this, EZDrummer has an option to isolate the OH to cymbals only. :laughings:
I know, I know, real drums, real mics, real musicians. :thumbs up:

Nope, don't know this guy. He doesn't correlate to our infamous troll of previous years.

I will say, and Greg is going to hate me for this, EZDrummer has an option to isolate the OH to cymbals only. :laughings:
I know, I know, real drums, real mics, real musicians. :thumbs up:

Actual troll......... ^^

I wish the mods would chime in. This is getting out of hand.

Well, this made entertaining reading.

I wonder if straightup will come back with a more constructive collaborative attitude.

Well, this made entertaining reading.

I wonder if straightup will come back with a more constructive collaborative attitude.

I think he should edit his posts. Hell, there's not that many to go through.

Edit them all nice, and then start a new post in the introduction forum.
You know, like start over on the right foot.

In his defense though, it must be tough. You come to a new place, have all these revolutionary or evolutionary ideas, only to be shot down.

Oh well.
:D

In his defense though, it must be tough. You come to a new place, have all these revolutionary or evolutionary ideas, only to be shot down.

Oh well.

That's true. If he isn't some butthurt member from the past with an axe to grind hiding behind a new name, then you're probably right. He thought he'd change the world with terminology and thought it was the best idea ever. He's like "I'm gonna go in there with these revolutionary ideas and people are gonna think I'm really clever." Then we basically dropped feces all over his brainchild. He must have been devastated, so he went beserko. Poor guy. I think maybe he's been conditioned by this weaksuck social media generation. Everyone gets offended so easily. Full-grown adults crying about "bullying". People can't handle adversity anymore. Look how he specifically singled me out. My first post in this thread was a simple "no". Several people made silly little jokes. But for some reason I'm the one he wrote books about. :facepalm:

sounds like no one's taking you seriously. 4 tracks on the kit ,i assume, 1 mic on snare, 1 mic on kick and 2 overhead mics for the whole kit.no need to flip phase on anything if mic placement is correct. reference oh's equal distance to snare and experiment with height of mics and distance from snare until find something that kicks. 1 mono room mic can make a world of difference to the kit sound if you had another track available

Just to upset (?) the original topic poster, where he uses 4 tracks for drums, the last recording (ie CD) I recorded, we used 13 tracks for the drums on each song. Every part of the kit had at least one mic and there were 4 overheads (2 directly overhead and 2 distant for ambiance)

Admittedly, I have a very professional studio set up with 56 tracks of digital tape recorder (NOT DAW based) and a fully automated digital console that has 48 simultaneous inputs/outputs available (actually 72 faders if you consider the Masters, Aux, etc).

David

Why am I still a "New Member" when I have been here since April 2012 !!!!!!!!!!

I think I will put myself in the corner and cry !!!

David

David

Lack of posts.

Hey, you got studio pics? Put em up in the show your studio thread. Love seeing people's studios.

Yeah...it's because of your post count....4 years and only 44 posts. :)
A lot of BBS sites do seniority by how often/home much a member posts...not by when he registered.

Oh...I don't think that just having a lot of available tracks, mics and automation makes the differences AFA how pro or not pro a kit is recorded.

In my studio, I've got more than enough inputs on my console and my recording gear, and I can put up even 2 dozen mics on the drum kit, which is a rather large kit (double Kicks, 8 Toms, the whole enchilada)...but I still only use a pair of OH mics and a couple of spot mics.
I mean it isn't about the number of mics you use on a kit. In the right situation, you could put up a couple of mics and still get a pro sounding recording.
Nothing wrong with using a lot of mics...just saying it doesn't guarantee anything.

David

You know you can change it yourself... You may need 50 posts before you can change that in your profile tho. Not sure the exact post point but I think that is it. I tried myself but us mods cant do that. We are just members that have an extra button to delete spammers.

Please, no crying David! :)

Yeah, to the OP of this thread, I'd say 4 mics for the drums is going to be weak, but not unheard of. Like someone already said, one for the bass drum, one for snare and two set up in a stereo pattern for overheads. Frankly, it's pretty difficult to just pick up cymbals with overheads. While you can filter out the lower frequencies of drums with EQ, leaving the higher end frequencies of the cymbals to come through, with only four mics on drums, you need everything you can get out of those overhead mics to fill in the toms, as well as the cymbals. You can punctuate the kit with your snare and kick mics, to bring them out into the front and tweak them for the sound you want. Also, as someone has already said, a room mic away from the kit to help with the room ambiance could really help out with bringing your drums alive, but that would require another input for a total of 5.

You need to take advantage of the different mics to give you the best response, in any particular situation. I'm sure you know the correct mics to use for snare, kick and overhead, if you've done a lot of reading up on recording drums, so I guess from here on out, the rest is up to you. Recording a live band situation can be fun, but it also has it's problems. Limiting yourself with mics can mean you lose something in that live situation. Once it's gone and you didn't get it recorded to your satisfaction, it's gone for good.

Assuming you, like me, only have 4 inputs on the recording interface...
If you used a separate mixer, couldn't you mic and pan all the drums, with an out board mixer, and then have the stereo out going into 2 channels of your recorder (interface)?
Or, have the snare and the kick on 2 channels and then everything else miced going into the mixer and into the remaining 2 channels?

I haven't been to the forum in a few months (crazy summer) but I gotta say, this thread rocked!
It reminds me of my early, newbish days on the forum..... posting wild ideas, yelling at Greg....
...good times....
OP, if you're still reading, the most frustrating part is Greg tends to be right a lot. I know....it's a tough pill to swallow.

Back