British Slang

Every person I met in Sussex was uniformly nice. I had no issues in London, either, but people out of the city were awesome and genuine.

Kiwis put an upward inflection at the end of every sentence with "ay" forming an almost question of every statement much like yeah in the UK an La in Singapore etc. (except the inflection on la is usually downward).
In Australia we put ee or oh on the end of shortened names for almost everybody so Robert becomes Robbo, David becomes Davie, etc. We're a Weird Mob...

Last edited:
I had a kiwi girl work for me, her first job abroad, just arrived in London the week before. She said her grandparents had warned her about Europe, saying it was a very dark place, cannibalism an everything. I had a good laugh at that.

A week later some German was arrested for eating people that he asked to dinner in a newspaper advert...they knew they were going to be eaten!

Smart grandparents.

btw you want miserable Americans? Come to Pennsylvania...its so fucking miserable even Dracula left

You ain't kidding. We hate just about everything, including each other. Dracula brought in shitloads of money to our state, but when he left, we were happy to see him go out of pure spite. PA PRIDE!

One thing that you Brits have no excuse for is "British rhyming slang". I don't know much about it, but from what I know it seems like the gayest thing I have ever encountered (not that there's anything wrong, everybody loves gayness, yada etc.). From what I understand, you take the first word of a multi-word phrase, substitute it for a word that rhymes with it, then just take some random word to say after the word you picked. I've got an inferior yank brain and can't fully wrap my head around the concept or why people would talk like this.

You ain't kidding. We hate just about everything, including each other. Dracula brought in shitloads of money to our state, but when he left, we were happy to see him go out of pure spite. PA PRIDE!

One thing that you Brits have no excuse for is "British rhyming slang". I don't know much about it, but from what I know it seems like the gayest thing I have ever encountered (not that there's anything wrong, everybody loves gayness, yada etc.). From what I understand, you take the first word of a multi-word phrase, substitute it for a word that rhymes with it, then just take some random word to say after the word you picked. I've got an inferior yank brain and can't fully wrap my head around the concept or why people would talk like this.

actually that's just rhyme, nothing to do with gayness.

Does the queen use slang when she's shagging phil, or does she use the queen's english? I think phil uses slang. He uses the F word sometimes when he's out in public (which makes him a bit more likable in my book). I don't know if I've ever read in the tabloids that liz said the F word. Maybe she just says the F word in her castle when she's shagging phil. Does anyone know?

Last edited:

It's strictly Cockney Rhyming Slang and it's believed to have started as a criminal's patois or argot, used to make their conversations unintelligible to outsiders. Going down the Frog and Toad to the Rub-A-Dub with your China Plates is much harder to understand than Going down the road to the pub with your mates. :)

Not strictly, but yeah originates with Cockneys...In Weegieland, I mean glasgow, you'll hear "whats the Hamden roar?" for whats the score? (whats going on?)

"No got a scoobie doo" for "Not got a clue"

and ""Ahve murdered the wife" for "Ahve murdered the wife"

the last one didnt rhyme but not all poetry has too :mad:

This X 10000000000

It's strictly Cockney Rhyming Slang and it's believed to have started as a criminal's patois or argot, used to make their conversations unintelligible to outsiders. Going down the Frog and Toad to the Rub-A-Dub with your China Plates is much harder to understand than Going down the road to the pub with your mates. :)

I did screw that up... I'd heard it called Cockney Rhyming Slang, not British Rhyming Slang. Thanks for the explanation, and thank you to kcearl as well.

Now take note, dobro... while you saw fit to merely call me names, Bubba and kcearl offered explanations, and I am a better person for it. I am very disappointed in you, and I am canceling our date. You missed out big time!

Back