British Slang

Do you have any special words for "sunshine" or "rainbow"?
How 'bout "Puppies"??

No. Sunshine, rainbows and unicorns are all shite...and all are equally rare round here anyway.

---------- Update ----------

In Glasgow they say something is "gallous" if its nice

I Edinburgh we say something is "braw" if its nice

thats the only slang we have

Naw, you've got some great slang - these weegies went fae a quiet bevvy but some fuckn pished neds saw and went radge oan 'em.

..or something

When I was in england, everyone did seem stuffy and miserable. Stand off-ish. They all seemed to trudge along in their bleak dreary miserable lives. No one smiled, no one laughed, everything was stiff and drab. But! As a young energetic american pain in the ass with not much else to do, I forced myself on to these people. I asked for directions, I asked for recommendations, I asked for help, I asked how they were doing, and every single fucking limey that I forced myself on to, they all ended up being super nice and friendly and very chatty once I got them going. I had one guy in "the tube" literally pull his newspaper up over his face as I approached, but I pestered him anyway, and we ended up bullshitting for about half an hour. I make fun of them all the time, but I really like the fucking limeys.

You talked to people on the Tube? You cruel fuck, you must have scared the living shit out of the poor bastard. Next time you're in the UK get outta London - you'll find that the people are more friendly and more british!

I don't think we're particularly grumpy though; its just that Americans are weird and America is weird. Going to California is like being a real life version of a toothpaste advert. Everyone is insanely over the top friendly to the point where it just comes across as really disingenuous and a bit Norman Bates. And they grin continually. I actually met James Hetfield in Union Square in San Fran (we were both buying jeans at the same time) even he grinned continually. Its like everyone has had the corners of their mouth nailed to their cheekbones.

Colorado is nice, but they're all stoned as fuck and they have a horrendous diet. I asked a girl for a breakfast recommendation - she recommended a "Railyard". This turned out to be sausage, bacon, egg, cheese, hash brown, avacado, mushrooms and maple syrup all stuffed inside a jumbo croissant and washed down with a jumbo latte. I thought I was going to have a coronary by the time I got half way through.

Vegas is just full of the worst of humanity.

Florida has the largest number of people I have ever come across that are both creepily friendly and openly evil at the same time.

And the worst thing (well two things) is "Have a nice day" usually said with a fake toothpaste advert smile. It just makes you want to make sure that their day is the opposite of a nice day. The other thing is randomly saying "Good Job" What on earth does that mean. Its like I'm being congratulated for the most mudane of tasks like ordering a drink successfully.

Last edited:
I don't think we're particularly grumpy though; its just that Americans are weird and America is weird. Going to California is like being a real life version of a toothpaste advert. Everyone is insanely over the top friendly to the point where it just comes across as really disingenuous and a bit Norman Bates. And they grin continually. I actually met James Hetfield in Union Square in San Fran (we were both buying jeans at the same time) even he grinned continually. Its like everyone has had the corners of their mouth nailed to their cheekbones.

Colorado is nice, but they're all stoned as fuck and they have a horrendous diet. I asked a girl for a breakfast recommendation - she recommended a "Railyard". This turned out to be sausage, bacon, egg, cheese, hash brown, avacado, mushrooms and maple syrup all stuffed inside a jumbo croissant and washed down with a jumbo latte. I thought I was going to have a coronary by the time I got half way through.

Florida has the largest number of people I have ever come across that are both creepily friendly and openly evil at the same time.

And the worst thing (well two things) is "Have a nice day" usually said with a fake toothpaste advert smile. It just makes you want to make sure that their day is the opposite of a nice day. The other thing is randomly saying "Good Job" What on earth does that mean. Its like I'm being congratulated for the most mudane of tasks like ordering a drink successfully.

You missed the northeast. We walk fast, look at the ground, never smile, and punch you if you try to talk to us.

I loved living in California

Much of the US is similar to the UK so it doesnt feel like Ive moved, but theres nowhere in the UK like So Cal...we'll head back there when the kids are school age, best place in the US

You talked to people on the Tube? You cruel fuck, you must have scared the living shit out of the poor bastard. Next time you're in the UK get outta London - you'll find that the people are more friendly and more british!

I think we smile because most of us have teeth that are okay to show. You guys don't smile because your teeth look like you ate a bowl of live hand grenades dipped in broken glass and coated with battery acid.

You missed the northeast. We walk fast, look at the ground, never smile, and punch you if you try to talk to us.

And if you try to barge your car into our lane on the highway (that's motorway to the Brits), we'll crowd you off into the ditch!

I loved living in California

Much of the US is similar to the UK so it doesnt feel like Ive moved, but theres nowhere in the UK like So Cal...we'll head back there when the kids are school age, best place in the US

but what if you get ill? won't you have to pay millions of pounds just to have a tiny operation? cheers.

I love how some throw "yeah" on the end of some declarative statements - inviting the listener to agree. What a particularly English thing to do.

I lived in England for a couple of years and heard only half the slang in this thread. I think you're making it up.

Back