British Slang

When I was in england, everyone did seem stuffy and miserable. Stand off-ish. They all seemed to trudge along in their bleak dreary miserable lives. No one smiled, no one laughed, everything was stiff and drab. But! As a young energetic american pain in the ass with not much else to do, I forced myself on to these people. I asked for directions, I asked for recommendations, I asked for help, I asked how they were doing, and every single fucking limey that I forced myself on to, they all ended up being super nice and friendly and very chatty once I got them going. I had one guy in "the tube" literally pull his newspaper up over his face as I approached, but I pestered him anyway, and we ended up bullshitting for about half an hour. I make fun of them all the time, but I really like the fucking limeys.

whilst I agree with your observations on England somewhat Im not sure as its as annoying as the have a nice day mentality Ive came across some places here...I loved London, lived there for 13 years, but mainly because there were no Brits left in it :D

btw you want miserable Americans? Come to Pennsylvania...its so fucking miserable even Dracula left

oh yeah...lol

---------- Update ----------

If I was a mod Id ban you for that...Glasgows a shitehole ;)

Never been, in fairness.
Did find Liverpool and Manchester much more welcoming than London, though. Shock, huh?

To quote the great BBC Broadcaster, Alan Partridge, "Go to London! I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated.".

In Glasgow they say something is "gallous" if its nice

I Edinburgh we say something is "braw" if its nice

thats the only slang we have

---------- Update ----------

Never been, in fairness.
Did find Liverpool and Manchester much more welcoming than London, though. Shock, huh?

never been to 'pool, but been to Manchester loads in the late 80's early 90's, it was like cowboy country, gangs and shootings everywhere...liked it :D

The dogs bollocks = good

Bog standard = average

both come from Meccano sets at the turn of the last century....Box Deluxe = good, Box Standard = Average

So when you're prancing through a field of daisies like Julie Andrews singing ecstatically about the unfathomable beauty of all living things- no word for that kinda thing?

tumblr_inline_mwsee35QYR1qe4gz7.gif

So when you're prancing through a field of daisies like Julie Andrews singing ecstatically about the unfathomable beauty of all living things- no word for that kinda thing?

Happy as a pig in shite. Or grinning like a wanking Jap. :D

Here's a fantastic list of English Slang. EffingPot

As my old man would say, "Dip your bread". :thumbs up:

One that is missing from that list is "Bocker". You don't hear it much any more but a tramp or someone scruffy would be a bocker. The word came from a local Derby tramp called Bocker Wright.

Back